Using the chipper on evergreens

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I had a lot of spruce branches to get rid of, at first I thought I'd just haul them off in my dump bed trailer until it became obvious it would take several trips. Then I remembered I had a chipper (Woodmax, on my L3301)! I have no idea if anyone else chips evergreens but it worked, though as expected the resulting end product is quite different. I was more interested in making the branches go away then the "chips", which were mostly needles, and it did accomplish that. I spread the needles on my bike path, got about 50' covered, nice and deep, and they walk and ride just fine, plus I saved hauling them off.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
They make for a good weed reducer too.
Just don't use them to mulch non evergreen trees, as they are too acidic and will kill them. ;)

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
If it went through my PTO chipper (before I sold it), it got chipped, pine trees included. I find it less labor intensive to use a match and some stale diesel and have a roast instead.

Interesting;ly, I got more for mine when I sold it than I paid for it.:)

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301. loader an backhoe, EA grapple, Titan pallet forks, brush hog 18ft. landsc
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
I had a lot of spruce branches to get rid of, at first I thought I'd just haul them off in my dump bed trailer until it became obvious it would take several trips. Then I remembered I had a chipper (Woodmax, on my L3301)! I have no idea if anyone else chips evergreens but it worked, though as expected the resulting end product is quite different. I was more interested in making the branches go away then the "chips", which were mostly needles, and it did accomplish that. I spread the needles on my bike path, got about 50' covered, nice and deep, and they walk and ride just fine, plus I saved hauling them off.
Good to hear your chipper worked well. I was going to buy a Woodmax chipper in a few weeks. Are you happy with it? Pros an cons.

bikerdib

Equipment
L4701 with FEL, BH92 backhoe
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I received a Woodmax chipper a couple of months ago and have used it to get rid of tree trimmings up to about 4" diameter.

A few years back I owned a Wallenstein "self feed". While the Wallenstein was OK, the self feed is only self feeding if you take the time to trim off all the little side branches and the resulting limb is pretty straight. That machine was WAAAAYYY too much work.

I bought the Wallenstein self feed model because when I asked about it here and on another tractor forum, the responders all said "don't waste money on hydraulic feed" Well, that advise caused me to waist money upgrading the chipper.

The Woodmax with self contained hydraulic feed is SOOO much better.

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301. loader an backhoe, EA grapple, Titan pallet forks, brush hog 18ft. landsc
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
I received a Woodmax chipper a couple of months ago and have used it to get rid of tree trimmings up to about 4" diameter.

A few years back I owned a Wallenstein "self feed". While the Wallenstein was OK, the self feed is only self feeding if you take the time to trim off all the little side branches and the resulting limb is pretty straight. That machine was WAAAAYYY too much work.

I bought the Wallenstein self feed model because when I asked about it here and on another tractor forum, the responders all said "don't waste money on hydraulic feed" Well, that advise caused me to waist money upgrading the chipper.

The Woodmax with self contained hydraulic feed is SOOO much better.
So the WM8H would be a lot better than the WM8M? Looking for a chipper with the least amount of work. Thanks

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
So the WM8H would be a lot better than the WM8M? Looking for a chipper with the least amount of work. Thanks
To each their own, and it also depends on how much you plan to chip in a days work. All I can say, I've owned both and I'd NEVER buy a manual feed again. This also depends a little on how much you can afford to spend. My advice though, put the purchase off till you can get power feed, you won't be sorry.

The WM8H and the WM8M are both power feed. It is just the way the feed works. The good thing about the hydraulic feed is that it is adjustable for infeed speed. When I'm talking about manual feed I'm referring to gravity feed, no infeed roller pulling the material in. That is what the Wallenstein I had previously was, gravity feed.

Last edited:

flyidaho

Equipment
L 3301 HST
Feb 28, 2017
IDAHO
I am totally satisfied with the WoodMaxx, it's a beast, and is perfectly matched to the L3301 Great fun to use, I just keep that scene in the movie Fargo in mind when operating it. I have it down at this point, in conjunction with my ATV's home made dump bed trailer, and have heavily chipped my over 1/4 mile bike trail. With the trees taken out to make the trail providing the raw material, so a win/win.

I would have burned also, but too dry here now, and didn't want to wait until fall, now I'm glad I chipped. That adjustable feed feature is real nice, fast for the little stuff, slow it down for the stuff that might make it gag.

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
I have the WM8M which is a mechanical feed set on one speed. I chip pine & fir saplings and branches. For that reason, I didn’t think I need the hydraulic feed and thus far, worked fine for me and saved some $ for other tools. YMMV.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biglefty

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 23, 2019
PA.
So I realize the Wm8h an Wm8M are both power feed. Sounds like the WM8H would be the best choice for me. As I Need to use it to its max 8 inch capacity.

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
I like the variable hydraulic feed, I can speed it up for smaller or softer wood or slow it down for hardwoods like oak and mesquite.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
Not your make, but my WC68 (Woodland Mills) chipper is hydraulic self feed and I love that feature. Branches down to about 1" need to be lopped but any 1" and smaller, on green aspen anyway, will bend into the chute and get pulled through with the trunk.
I did some chipping at a neighbor who was thinning long needle pines, max 4" at base, and ran into issues with needles bunching up inside the pickup roller housing and stalling the feeder. We took the side access panel off the roller housing (a few small bolts, easy access) and cleaned it out. My neighbor discovered if branches were fed in top first, the needles got pushed through without clogging and the issue solved. I thought I'd pass along the hint to anyone chipping evergreens. In case they run into the clogging needles issue, something to try?
N.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

bikerdib

Equipment
Oct 5, 2010
Wallis, Texas
Oh Boy am I embarrassed.

nbryan's post made me realize that I have been in error. I've been saying that I have a Woodmax. I had looked at Woodmax chippers (and even considered their flail mower at one time). However, I decided to go with a Woodland Mills chipper and that is what I have.

Sorry for my screw up.

sdk1968

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2601HSD & CK4010HST 4WD/FEL
Oct 19, 2016
Ohio
ive got a chipper thread here the OP can look at...

it usually chips whatever i put in it...

the ONLY time it ever had a problem was my fault. tried a grapevine. that didnt go so well. :D stupid SDK1968.... i knew better.

my only complaint with the chipper is its not a great "shape" & takes up a lot of space when its sitting around.