Using front-end loader for lifting

rookiejeff

Equipment
Kubota B3300SU, snowblower, FEL
Sep 10, 2010
marquette,mi,usa
Hello all:

While at camp today I used a chain connected to the FEL to help lift and pull a medium-sized maple tree that was leaning against another large tree. I did this at the advice of my father-in-law who has been operating a Kubota for years and has hooks bolted to his FEL so he can regularly lift and pull heavy loads with chains. I recalled reading about this in the manual (that it should not be done) but he assured me it's fine. Any way, small dent in the bucket from the hook but seems to be operating just fine. Should I be concerned about permanent damage to the loader or is it more of a safety issue? I know this is sort of a no-brainer since Kubota says not to do it in the operators manual but I'm curious if other Kubota owners regularly us the FEL for lifting with chains. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.

logan

Equipment
Kubota B7800 w?fel
Jan 7, 2010
US
Hello all:

While at camp today I used a chain connected to the FEL to help lift and pull a medium-sized maple tree that was leaning against another large tree. I did this at the advice of my father-in-law who has been operating a Kubota for years and has hooks bolted to his FEL so he can regularly lift and pull heavy loads with chains. I recalled reading about this in the manual (that it should not be done) but he assured me it's fine. Any way, small dent in the bucket from the hook but seems to be operating just fine. Should I be concerned about permanent damage to the loader or is it more of a safety issue? I know this is sort of a no-brainer since Kubota says not to do it in the operators manual but I'm curious if other Kubota owners regularly us the FEL for lifting with chains. Thoughts? Comments?

Thanks.
I use chain on my B7800 FEL. I have 3 hooks welded to a 2" by 2" by 1/4" metal angle iron , which spans the length of the 60" bucket top. One in the middle the other 2 are placed directly over or in front of the arms. I always use them in a direct line for I have read it is not good to pull side way's angles to the lift arms.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
All loaders today and for years past have an over flow valve which will not allow you to pick up anything heavier then the rated load for the FEL. Years ago when loaders first came out for tractors the lift arms would keep on lifting if the load was to heave and snap arms in half. So over all you should be safe.

jonyyuma

Equipment
2003 L3000dt{sept.-10}, loader, tiller
Aug 13, 2010
millington,tn, usa
Bulldog, Thanks for the photos of the bucket. The bucket I have is simular, but the idea of the reinforcing plates for the hooks was a nice touch, and I can get the welding done and bolt them on. Details, I see you used grade 8 bolts, strongest available, good safety tip.JY.

Jimmysal

Equipment
B1750HST, RC60 MMM, LA300 FEL, TSC 48" BoxBlade, PTO Dbar chains tongs old Stihl
Aug 26, 2010
Vermont
Been using hooks on my loader for over 10 yrs now with no problems.
Hey, do you have matching reinforcement plates on the inside of the bucket with tapped holes for the bolts to go into, or did you do through holes in the bucket and nuts on the inside?

jonyyuma

Equipment
Aug 13, 2010
millington,tn, usa
Speaking of nuts, what is the opinion on locktite?Or would you rather use nylocks, but they are expensive and not in metric ? I have many missing fasteners, especially on the wheels,on my newly aqquired rig?I know my Chevy diesel Pu ate and shook bolts all down the highway, with the use of locktite, it stayed together longer, now parked in front of the house. JY.

GWD

Equipment
M7040, L48 TLB, BX2200
Jan 8, 2010
Northern California
There are grab hooks that are specially made for welding on. Like Bulldog, welding them to a plate first and then welding the plate to the bucket is the way to go. (Although his are bolted on.)

Make sure the hooks are centered, or at least inside of the wheels, otherwise you'll have a tipsy tractor when lifting something from the edge of the bucket.

https://www.truckntow.com/p-11373-weld-on-grab-hook-38-pellican-hook.aspx

jonyyuma

Equipment
Aug 13, 2010
millington,tn, usa
Very good point about placement. I had noticed the bucket span laps the front by almost a foot. I had wanted a 5 foot, but it did not happen that way..I may just try one in the center, and a piece of angle welded to the back with it? That is for,when I finish my checkup on the engine. JY.

Mingy

Equipment
L3010 backhoe FEL, B2300, M9000
Jul 27, 2010
Ontario
You can get nylocs in metric - I get them at the local Home Depot. I used nyloc in almost any situation where I'd use a lock washer.

With respect to lift with an FEL, remember a counter balance (weight on the back) can be extremely important. A backhoe or other attachment, including a box full of rocks, can make a huge difference.

And always wear a seatbelt, because the tractor becomes more tippy with a weight in front, especially on a slope.

jonyyuma

Equipment
Aug 13, 2010
millington,tn, usa
This is a great site to learn from. I don't have a Homedepot within 30 miles, but a Lowes is in town 8miles so.For the hooks, I might have an old chain, that can part with one, but I am going to use a second grabber type, welded beside it. I know those wheel nuts and bolts will be coming in soon, from Messick's and a rattlecan of genuine paint. I just found out TSC has the best replacement paint available for 1/2 the price. JY.

Randyj

Equipment
B9200D / BF350 Kubota Loader / L-4530B Kubota Backhoe w - subframe / LP GS1548
Sep 17, 2009
Northern Indiana
When I pull a tree stump, I first dig all the way around 360 degrees and as deep as I can, to get under the root ball. Then, I use a saws-all to cut the roots, as I'm pulling on the stump. Works for me.

Eric McCarthy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B6100E
Dec 21, 2009
Richmond Va
As far as the hooks I'd put one inline with each of the loader lift arms and one in the middle. A useful tip my dad and I both keep a short 3 or 4 foot section of chain with hooks on our tractors at all times. We keep them on the fender brackets between the fender and seat. A short chain is handy to have at all times for when you want to lift something or pick up and move other attachments around with.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
Hey, do you have matching reinforcement plates on the inside of the bucket with tapped holes for the bolts to go into, or did you do through holes in the bucket and nuts on the inside?
I just go thru the bucket and used flat washers so the contact point would be spread out some. I have had more weight on there than the loader would pick up and the bucket has never gave me any trouble.

Bulldog

Equipment
M 9000 DTC, L 3000 DT
Mar 30, 2010
Rocky Face, Georgia
There are grab hooks that are specially made for welding on. Like Bulldog, welding them to a plate first and then welding the plate to the bucket is the way to go. (Although his are bolted on.)

I thought long and hard about bolting or welding. My instinct was to weld but I couldn't do it. That L 3000 was the first new tractor that I had ever bought myself. I just couldn't make myself burn the paint off of that brand new shiny orange. I put those hooks on the first week I had the tractor so it even still smelled new.