Upright FEL Storage (with pics)

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
Just figured I'd post this.

Certainly not the most amazing concept in the world but it seems to work well for me.

On the ground the FEL has a large footprint so I figured I'd rig something up quick. Without storing it upright the FEL would have blocked my circuit panels, the door you see and a stairwell. Now it's out of the way and I can actually use that space for the backhoe...making it easier for me to maneuver in the garage.

It works well.
I used a deer hoist but you can probably just go to your hardware store and come up with some pulley system.

The nice part about the deer hoist is that there is a built-in brake.

It took a little effort getting the loader upright but once it was, holding it up there takes very little.

kc8fbl

Equipment
2014 L3200 HST FEL, 1949 Minneapolis-Moline R
Aug 23, 2012
Gobles, MI
Looks good! Takes up a lot less space than it's usual sitting position. Great job!

IDKUBOTA

Equipment
L3800DT/FEL/BH77 and others
Dec 16, 2012
Latah County, ID
May I suggest using a chain and some sort of fastener to reinforce your gambrel rope. Perhaps chaining around your joist and the loader. I like the space saving.

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
If you plan on doing this all the time might think of one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/1300-lb-electric-hoist-with-remote-control-60344-9376.html

I have one something like this and have really enjoyed it. :D
You know...I do have a 12V DC winch sitting around. I never thought of using it.

May I suggest using a chain and some sort of fastener to reinforce your gambrel rope. Perhaps chaining around your joist and the loader. I like the space saving.
Yes I think that's a good idea. This was sort of spur of the moment for me. I realized when I got it up there that it wouldn't be pretty if it came crashing down.

At the moment I have the lead rope tied to the loader so if the loader would fall it would tug on the rope and in essence pull itself.

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
I don't know if this is possible but if you can remove the loader with the bucket in full dump mode, it might stand upright on the bucket once you get it standing up against the wall.:confused:

Burt

Equipment
L3700SU, box blade, 6 foot rhino blade, 1 bottom plow, 3 point receiver hitch.
Mar 24, 2012
Goldendale, WA USA
Under where,

Nice post and good job. Maybe you could double the use as a wine rack?

Burt

Underwhere

Jul 7, 2013
Freedom, NH
If you look at that quick link real close, all that weight is being transferred through a very small pin. Not very safe.

I'm open to suggestions and improvements.

Not quite sure I understand your terminology though.
What pins are you talking about?

The hoist isn't really holding the FEL in the air. It's just keeping it balanced upright.

I can grab the rope and it's not very taught.

I believe my hoist is rated at 500 pounds and I think the FEL is right around 400.

Here's one at Home Depot
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Sportsma...-Hanging-Scale-SM07351/203011189#.Uq_W2vTWj4s

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
if you want to make sure it doesnt come crashing down heres my 2 cents. Make 2 Wood Step Chocks out of 2x6s and put them underneath the bucket on the side opposite of the wall. So if the rope fails the chocks will hold it up no problem. They are used all the time in the fire service to stabilize cars for extrication.

http://www.acfdopstraining.com/step-chocks/

Last edited:

DonDC

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L35 TLB, B7001, FEL, Rototiller, Snow Plow
Oct 23, 2012
Nanaimo, BC, Canada
Good idea UnionMan but please use e-mail sized pictures. It makes it so we can see your picture instead of having to try and view one that won't fit on the screen. Cheers.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Gee what a grand idea, now suppose you explain how to do it:confused:

Wildfire

Equipment
Kubota L5740 HSTC3 and a Kubota ZG222Z, 2013 BX25D,Custom Toyota fork lift.
Guys,, can you PLEASE learn to resize your pictures before posting them.
This is the BIGGEST gripe I have with this site. Every other site I'm on as I post photos the site will resize the image automatically. Yes I know how to resize them but 90% of my posts are one on an iPad and resizing manually is a PITA so I refuse to do it. :mad:

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I use a Mac, which has a program called "Preview". You can view pics from various sources, (camera, HD, stick storage, etc.) and it gives you tons of options for resizing, compressing, changing colors, annotating, rotating, etc..
I just use it to resize a copy of each pic to 640 X 480 before I upload them.
I would have to assume there is an equivalent software for PCs….

UnionMan

Equipment
M5-111HDC12, L3800 HST , RTV-X1100C, SCAG TigerCat 61" Kawi FX Motor
Aug 21, 2013
Warrenton, VA
removed the Picture and kept the link. I just grabbed the image location and didnt realize how big the image was.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
I really don't worry about down loading pictues cause I cant, I don't know why, no one can seem to tell me why , but its not just here its on all the sites I vist