Underground storage

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
On par with the Pacer AKA: Bubble Gum Machine my wife had the AMC Gremlin when we got married. Now that was a piece of junk.. :ROFLMAO:
Maybe a piece of junk, but the Gremlins weren’t as ugly cars as some of the others. IMO

Hell, I worked in a college town, and it seemed like half of the students’ cars were Gremlins… wasn’t a fancy school where everyone drove BMW. ;)

will721

Equipment
LX2610, Ford 2n, Ferguson TO20
Jun 6, 2023
Quad Cities Area
Maybe a piece of junk, but the Gremlins weren’t as ugly cars as some of the others. IMO

Hell, I worked in a college town, and it seemed like half of the students’ cars were Gremlins… wasn’t a fancy school where everyone drove BMW. ;)
I love gremlins, but agree they are ugly cars. I file them in the so ugly it's cool category. A buddy of mine has one that just sits in storage I've been trying to buy off him for years now. Bright orange with fat tires and even has hideous orange plaid seats. 304 that he blew up last year with a 3spd. Love that car. Here, there, gone baby. I'd get it tomorrow if he'd let me.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
I always liked Gremlins. ( I like different stuff)
Coworker had a high performance model with a 401 V-8.
Pretty fast for back in the day.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
I always liked Gremlins. ( I like different stuff)
Coworker had a high performance model with a 401 V-8.
Pretty fast for back in the day.
That was indeed a pretty quick vehicle for the day (mid 13's) stock. Low 12's with a few mods.

Rare vehicle too. Only 21 of the 401-XR were built.

No cure for the 'Ugly'.....but a 'sleeper' on the street for sure.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Hell was the perfect place to store them. I can remember working on the POS cars. Total junk.
nice ones bring GOOD money today.

If you bought one for $2000 in 1970 (I think they were $1999 as I remember for base models), and stored it climate controlled, and kept it up, it'd probably bring 10x that today. Or more. I inherited my dad's 1972 Ford Maverick Sprint. I wasn't in the mood to fix all the little things on it, and decided to sell it. It brought $22,000 but mind you it was a Sprint-which is pretty desirable. 302/auto. I WANTED to convert it to a manual transmission and put a later model Ford engine in it BUT I had about 14 other projects to do, and still have about 6 left, so it was gonna sit-outside-until I could get to it. I just couldn't bear to just let it sit out there for 6, 8, 12 months while the rats eat the wiring and the hail destroys the paint. I knew a guy looking specifically for a Sprint, so I called him and said hey-you want this? He said....yup....

I've had about 30 of them over the years, 69.5 to 77, all years made I've owned at least one of each. 2 door, 4 door, LDO, almost all options except the one that was supposed to be extremely rare (I don't think they even made them). Crud I forget what they called them. Stallion I think. I've had a sprint, grabber, base models, LDO's, etc. Last one I bought was a 77 2 door that I wanted for parts. Roof was rusted, so I just cut it off-easier access to the stuff I needed inside anyway. World's first Ford Maverick Convertible. Ended up scrapping the majority of it.

Oddly, my mom called me a few months ago, said she done got a wild hair and ordered a new Ford Maverick (the little truck lookin thing). I kinda like them for functionality, and they are relatively inexpensive. I hope it's good to her.

The Maverick was originally designed as a budget-minded entry level car that people could afford. It succeeded. Unfortunately Ford built more than they sold as they overestimated the sales numbers, and had to store a bunch of them underground (that's what the original post is about). The Maverick's chassis is based on the original Ford Falcon, which later was the basis for the Mustang. A lot of Mustang suspension interchanges with Maverick-and Maverick disc brakes fit on early Mustangs without issue.

I still have one actually, owned it since 1992; although it looks NOTHING like it did when I bough it. 1975, base model. Originally a 200 six, 3 on the tree. Paid $45 for it and drove it home. Just got through messing with it in the shop, gotta pour a new seat insert-but have to wait for the neighbor guy to get home from working out of state to help me. Takes two people and my girlfriend isn't up to it. We'll probably pour Saturday morning.

Attachments

Reactions: 1 user