Undercarriage lift arm falls off the hydraulic arm

Kubotamike

Equipment
BX23s,
Mar 17, 2017
Esmont Va
I have new 2021, BX23S with a problem the dealer has never heard of....the lift arm in the undercarriage where it attaches to the lifting arm of the hydraulic system has fallen off the pin several times. The last time it dug into the hard ground and bent sideways. I haven't been using the undercarriage for any implements so this should just move up and down as the 3 point hitch moves.
I took it to the dealer today - not a good experience at all. They will not order the part without having the tractor there .....probably take a full 2-3 weeks to get it back. A real problem at this time of year.
Wondering if any one else has had this issue?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
Pictures would be very helpful as there are several pins. Are you talking the pins at the front? Also I believe you are suppose to lock the lift up when to MMM not installed(or do not want movement).

Reactions: 1 user

Kubotamike

Equipment
BX23s,
Mar 17, 2017
Esmont Va
Had trouble getting the pic in the forum. Wasn't aware there is a locking mechanism for the undercarriage. how is that accomplished?
For now at least I do not expect to attach a mower.

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
If I remember correctly on my BX2370 it had a bracket that rotated down and attached to the rear mower attachment point(silver pin with the spring on it). Also what kind of pin is/was installed their? IIRC my had a circular key type ring. Not to be condescending have you read all the manuals that can with the tractor(at least once a week have a vehicle in for warranty work for a function that is explained in the manual I.E Remote start not working with the hood open). I know my LX2610 has the ability to lock the carriage up when the mower is removed or when the mower is installed(pain in the ass to line up the holes).
000_0001[1].JPG
000_0002[1].JPG

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Yes that is the lift arm in your hand. Then there is a jackshaft that it attaches to.

They should not come apart, short of actually pushing the lift arm upwards such that the squared hole can slip off of the squared pin in the jackshaft. BUT, if the mowing deck is not attached to the lift arms, the height adjustment knob should always be in "TOP" position and not moved from there. That is the transport position. With the lift arms dangling downward, they are subject to rocks, stumps, curbs, all kinds of things that can knock them sideways. If the lift arm gets stuck on the squared pin of the jackshaft, then rotates, and the pin is damaged, it will no longer stay on and the jackshaft must be replaced. And, by the way, that is not a very "fun" job. I did a few of them when I worked at the dealer.

and yes if you are attempting to get some warranty repairs completed, you MUST take the entire machine to the dealer. Every once in a while there's an exception but consider those exceptions rarer than frog's hair.

tinkerwitheverything

Equipment
bx2370-1
Jun 3, 2015
Manitoba
What does that Tee pin look like on the other side . The orientation of the tee , is what I mean . It looks like the one in your picture should be rotated a bit different then what it is. I know there welded in place . It's a possibility that it wasn't welded in right .

Kubotamike

Equipment
BX23s,
Mar 17, 2017
Esmont Va
Appreciate all the help. Had a "duh" moment when you mentioned that you lock the lift arms up using the adjustment arm knob in the top most position...thanks.
I know I should more thoroughly read the manual cause there is a lot different from my circa 2000 bx to learn ...nightstand reading for sure.
Also my impression of the dealer has mellowed since yesterday...they are down a lot of techs and having to deal with supply chain issues. Luckily, I can use the tractor as is for now and look for a 3-4 week window to get it in there.
Again thanks for the help.
Mike

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex., Beer fridge
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
BUT, if the mowing deck is not attached to the lift arms, the height adjustment knob should always be in "TOP" position and not moved from there. That is the transport position. With the lift arms dangling downward, they are subject to rocks, stumps, curbs, all kinds of things that can knock them sideways.
Learn something new every day! Never thought about that, but my mower deck is on the BX2200 almost all the time.

Can't help but think the OP probably should check the blades on his HST cooling fan though.

If he is hitting stuff frequently enough to cause those lift arms to be knocked off, there might also be things in the same places just waiting to strip the blades off the cooling fan...

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
He should have the factory installed guard, my 2019 did...PITA to change the filter there.....best to undo/remove front two nuts/bolts, rotate the guard down...that way you only have half the nuts and bolts to try to find in your garage...

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
He should have the factory installed guard, my 2019 did...PITA to change the filter there.....best to undo/remove front two nuts/bolts, rotate the guard down...that way you only have half the nuts and bolts to try to find in your garage...
I have read the factory guards are not that effective. My Son in Law added an aftermarket guard to his BX23S for this reason...

My BX2200 has no guard at all. Something is definately better than nothing. No argument there...

Vukman

Equipment
BX2680
Apr 29, 2024
Harrisville, PA
I had the same problem with my brand new BX2680 with less than 25 hours. Took off the mower to rotor till the garden, had the arms in top position and looked up right arm jumped off left stayed in place. Took it to dealer and not covered under operator error. Not only that but while replacing the bent lift arm we discovered that the bracket holding everything to the frame was damaged. Now I have to have it welded back together.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I had the same problem with my brand new BX2680 with less than 25 hours. Took off the mower to rotor till the garden, had the arms in top position and looked up right arm jumped off left stayed in place. Took it to dealer and not covered under operator error. Not only that but while replacing the bent lift arm we discovered that the bracket holding everything to the frame was damaged. Now I have to have it welded back together.
So the operator error is in not raising the three-point arms, after you remove your mower deck, and not locking the arms up in the top position using the knob that sets mower deck height?

What if someone doesn't have a mower deck? I wonder if the operators manual specifically says that raising the three-point hitch arms to maximum and then setting the mower deck height knob to top is a requirement for operating the tractor?

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
For the RH lift arm to have fallen, either the pin fell out of the front or the short link between the lift arm and the lift shaft came apart. Both would be warrantable failures. Whatever needs to be welded would be covered also.
We are not getting the complete story.

See attached pdf.

Attachments

Vukman

Equipment
BX2680
Apr 29, 2024
Harrisville, PA
For the RH lift arm to have fallen, either the pin fell out of the front or the short link between the lift arm and the lift shaft came apart. Both would be warrantable failures. Whatever needs to be welded would be covered also.
We are not getting the complete story.

See attached pdf.
The front pin did not fall out because that came forward and broke the weld on the bracket. The rear short arm is what came off of the lifting bar and jam into the ground.

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS
The front pin did not fall out because that came forward and broke the weld on the bracket. The rear short arm is what came off of the lifting bar and jam into the ground.
That would be covered under the tractor warranty