Turkey Lore ?

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
A few years back maybe 20 they introduced wild turkeys in our area. They took off like a bang. Now we have 20 to 30 that stroll through on a daily basis. Just this fall for the first time we have what appears to be an albino. The shape and mannerisms are just like the wild ones so I don't think it is an escaped domestic. Here are a couple of pictures. Any wildlife biologists or hunters in the know I would appreciate any input.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
A few years back an elderly lady that lives a mile or so away inadvertently domesticated some wild turkeys. One of those turkeys decided to adopt our neighborhood for a bit. Coworkers were avid turkey hunters. They got pretty upset when they were out hunting and I sent them a picture of one eating some birdseed out of a bag in my garage :D:D

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
A now retired CO told us that the white ones were a result of crossbreeding with domestic birds back in the 70s and 80s. He said we could shoot them without a tag and he wouldn't do anything about it. The reintroduction where I grew up was largely done by private citizens who bought wild turkey chicks raised them and released them

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
In a related vein, Tom Kelly's "Tenth Legion" is a great read on turkeys and turkey hunting.

-- Carl

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Wolfman,
Do you have the little B##@tards in the Pac River drainage? I was on the WA state dept of game and fisheries page. They have a listing of nuisance wildlife and turkeys are not on the list. I would think they would be at the top. From trashing the bird feeders to pecking on the windows.

How is the home building project going...if you need a hand I can come over for a day or two. Not good at roofs anymore but wire plumb and very fine finish work I can do.