Ts100 botched clutch job or minor adjustments?

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
We had a clutch put in our old ts100 over the winter as the previous one was worn. Lots of hours and it's 3rd clutch but it has been used for alot of digging too but nothing crazy just alot of heavy loading.

When it came back from repair it had a very grabby clutch. I figured it would wear in, my dad just goes with whatever and my employees who occasionally drive it would hardly notice if it was on fire...lol. I had to do some loading with it and it's terrible the clutch acts like a shuttle shift transmission when the internal sensors are gone.... Just slams into gear... slowly let of the clutch and theres nothing nothing then bam jumps into gear. Drives me nuts just jolting backwards and forwards... so I asked my dad and he's like oh yea it's a sticky clutch..

Just spent $10,000 to have a clutch done and rather than call and say "Yea this is... terrible? " he just went with it but anyways what causes this? There must be some form of adjustment or something. It has a master and slave cylinder style set-up.

I can't stand lerchy stuff so I was spreading manure and ended up getting the excuvator to load. Literally almost banging my head on the windows it's so bad.

Any ideas?

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Normally a clutch that acts like that has a bad pressure plate or a bad clutch disk.
And normally there is no adjustment to soften it up.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
If this is a recent repair… sure sounds Botched.

On old equipment, OEM parts are sometimes unavailable…and poor quality aftermarket parts are utilized. Get it back to the repairshop before any responsibility is denied, IMO.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
Hopefully it's not too late,
If this is a recent repair… sure sounds Botched.

On old equipment, OEM parts are sometimes unavailable…and poor quality aftermarket parts are utilized. Get it back to the repairshop before any responsibility is denied, IMO.
Hopefully not too late

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
it'll get worse, then self destruct......
Curious as to why the $10K repair bill ! What did they replace ?
Obviously past ANY warranty as it was done last winter ??

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
it'll get worse, then self destruct......
Curious as to why the $10K repair bill ! What did they replace ?
Obviously past ANY warranty as it was done last winter ??
Like this spring, got back in.... February or somthing. This is 10K CAD btw. $2000 of which is transportation. Our economy is kinda wild here lately and stuff like that costs a mint

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Will it get worse or let go? Stay the same?
It will most likely fail catastrophically in a moments notice.

One thing they could have done wrong, was some clutch disks are required to be put in in a certain direction, and if put in backwards can do exactly what your stating.

I was hoping it was air in the line between the 2 cylinders
You could try bleeding them, on the off chance that it is that (which would be great)!
Your not going to hurt anything by doing it.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
It will most likely fail catastrophically in a moments notice.

One thing they could have done wrong, was some clutch disks are required to be put in in a certain direction, and if put in backwards can do exactly what your stating.

You could try bleeding them, on the off chance that it is that (which would be great)!
Your not going to hurt anything by doing it.
I love catastrophic failures in the middle of a busy day! Said no one ever.

I will try bleeding it for sure

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

beat me to it. I learned this expensive lesson when I did a clutch on my old Ford Mustang. Put the disk on backwards, all was pretty normal. First powershift the clutch exited the bellhousing. Luckily it only dented the floor and firewall instead of coming through it.

Shadow_storm56

Equipment
Lawn mower
Oct 22, 2020
Canada
beat me to it. I learned this expensive lesson when I did a clutch on my old Ford Mustang. Put the disk on backwards, all was pretty normal. First powershift the clutch exited the bellhousing. Luckily it only dented the floor and firewall instead of coming through it.
Well this has been working quite a long time though just.... jumpy