Trouble using posthole digger New to tractors. L185 and Danuser Digger F-8

Brassie

Equipment
L185
Jul 16, 2023
Alton, MO
I am new to tractors. I managed to till and plant a large garden. Now I need to fence the garden in.

I bought a Danuser Digger F-8 with a high S/N and an asst of 2" Augers and an adapter to use them for 2 9/16" with the Digger on my L185. I want to put up 8' fencing with 10' pipe fence posts.

Now my problem is I can't dig deep enough holes. My first two holes are about 20 - 21" deep and I want 24". Since then, less deep!

I had to fix the Digger first, new u-joints and put lube in the gear box. That was before digging. My first two holes are about 20 - 21" deep and I want 24". I played with the 3-point adjustments and now my holes are shallower. The auger and adapter match the length of the auger that came with my Digger at 41".

I have seen a Modification kit to add 50 pounds of weight to the Digger arm. Is it likely I need more weight to dig, correctly adjust something, or something else? I even bought and read the operator manual and it doesn't seem to address my issue.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
You may have purchased too large of a digger for your tractor. The problem begins with the size of your tractor. It is too low to the ground. This gives you a small amount of movement for the 3 point hitch. They do make PH diggers for smaller tractors but they are $$.

I would dig what you can and then breakout the hand PHDs.

Last edited:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Post a picture of how you have it connected to the tractor.

TX Chris

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX5400, BH92, RTV900, ZD326
Dec 14, 2020
Rowlett, TX
An 8' high fence with 24" deep holes? I hope there's no wind where you live...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Are you running into a rock ledge about 20” down? If so, you’ll have to bust-up that rock to get the augur to pull it up.

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I'm a bit confused.

Are you running out of "travel" or is it hitting hard dirt/rocks?

If it's a "travel problem" then, I don't see how adding weight would help.

I would measure the 3pt travel with PHD off, (or possibly look it up); Then compare it to the "actual travel" while digging.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
From the side shot picture , it looks like you should be able to bury the PHD,when the lower 3PH arms touch the ground. I'm thinking you've hit a rock ledge

Brassie

Equipment
L185
Jul 16, 2023
Alton, MO
The Auger blades are 24" high. Only about a 6" is within the travel area. A few days ago it was about 20"-21".
I wondered if holding myself in place while digging was messing with the hydraulics. It doesn't appear to be. These pictures are taken with the wheels blocked and no brakes.
I wondered if the sway chains could be too tight. When loosened three turns there was no change. Any looser and they might fall off.
I don't know if using the lower or middle hole in photo three will allow more depth, less depth, or cause other problems.
I will check to see if the hydraulics give more or less travel when the PHD is off compared to on.
I will also see if I can dig deeper with the tractor pointed downhill like now, uphill, or across the hill.

There is a severe T-storm warning here so I might not get much checking done today.

Trapper Bob

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L4701, Wicked grapple, 6’ bush hog, pallet forks, 7’ box blade, 6’ Wicked bucket
Jan 17, 2022
Andover, KS
Are the auger teeth sharp? The auger should screw itself into the ground, unless you have a layer of rock. You will need a rock bit for that.

Brassie

Equipment
L185
Jul 16, 2023
Alton, MO
Are the auger teeth sharp? The auger should screw itself into the ground, unless you have a layer of rock. You will need a rock bit for that.
Great call! No. One tooth is now broken off and it doesn't want to dig in regular packed dirt. I did find that before I saw this post when I tried to offset the hole. Still a great call as it would have gotten me on the right path quickly.

Brassie

Equipment
L185
Jul 16, 2023
Alton, MO
From the side shot picture , it looks like you should be able to bury the PHD,when the lower 3PH arms touch the ground. I'm thinking you've hit a rock ledge
Great call! I don't know yet if it is a big rock, a rock ledge, or just a collection of larger than gravel rocks. However, it was probably enough to break off the auger tooth mentioned in the previous post. It also convinced me to offset my hole and discover the broken tooth.

Brassie

Equipment
L185
Jul 16, 2023
Alton, MO
I can take a tooth off a spare auger after this storm rolls through and maybe be back to digging holes tomorrow.
Any suggestions on where to buy more teeth? Are the teeth generic or proprietary? One fits all or brand specific?

Vlach7

Equipment
L47 305DT JD500C
Dec 16, 2021
Frazier Park Ca
I ran into problems myself with my fencing project, try a large rock bar and manual digger with water or larger diameter hole with cement, Bent my teeth pounding it into hardened clay, bent them back with a sledge and supported with a few carefully applied welding beads, do not want to ruin your hardened teeth. Yea, post hole diggers don't work as well as you would hope.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
I wondered if holding myself in place while digging was messing with the hydraulics.
Your original post says you're new, so this is not meant to be a condescending question; But do you know that there is no down pressure from the hydraulics on a 3 pt?

I had no idea that was the case when I got mine.

Brassie

Equipment
L185
Jul 16, 2023
Alton, MO
Your original post says you're new, so this is not meant to be a condescending question; But do you know that there is no down pressure from the hydraulics on a 3 pt?

I had no idea that was the case when I got mine.
Yes.

There is a mod kit available to add 50 pounds of weight above the top bar. I was thinking I might want to strap on some weight for the same reason. I just don't want to pop a wheelie with it!

When it comes to this new adventure, I am ignorant and I know it. I am not likely to be insulted for long before I begin to understand.

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
It also helps to have an "observer" off to the side to direct you as the hole is bored. Depending on how your linkage is set up....as your depth increases you may need to back up/pull forward a bit to keep the auger bit vertical as you bore.
In post #10 it looks like your auger is not vertical as you were going deeper. If not vertical....that will also stop or slow your boring process and possibly bend an auger.

Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Move the top link (main bar) to the bottom of the three holes.

Reactions: 1 users