Trench Digging Fab for 3902 w FEL

John RHR

Equipment
L 245 DT (emeritus) L3902
Oct 11, 2013
Lake County, Calif
Folks -

I need to dig some trenches for french drains, perhaps foundation footings. I've seen the hacks using a ripper and a piece of conduit to direct bury rolled irrigation tubing, etc, but I need something a bit wider. A foot deep would be nice; more, better. If it was 6"-8" wide, that would be fine. I was wondering about a reinforced trenching shovel head fabbed onto the bucket somehow, but I also suspect that one of you, smarter than me, has already figured this one out. Your thoughts? I am all ears!

Thanks,

John Moorhead

radas

Equipment
2022 LX2610HST, 3rd Function, Rear Remotes, BH77
Mar 21, 2022
Michigan
6-8" wide trench at 1' deep is backhoe or large rental trencher territory if you don't feel like using a shovel. The barreto rental trenchers at HD can do a 4" trench so you may want to rent one from a heavy equipment place that have a wider "chain". IMHO you're not gonna get a clean, level trench using your bucket even with a spade on the front.

Reactions: 1 user

Runs With Scissors

Equipment
L2501 TLB , Grappel, Brush Hog, Box Blade, Ballast box, Forks, Tiller, PH digger
Jan 25, 2023
Michigan
Sounds like you need a Backhoe, but I ran across this video if you are in "Mac Gyver/A-Team" mode.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
John - -

I'd be cautious, especially in rocky soil. A home-made trencher could really extend the reach of the loader, and increase leverage/lateral forces on the loader booms, possibly causing damage.

You likely have SSQA. Might mitigate the issue some.

Could likely be done with care and good soil, but would take time to design, etc.

@edritchey posted a picture of his backhoe-type bucket on a SSQA plate in last couple weeks.

What about a middle buster, which is basically a subsoiler with a two-sided moldboard?

Just a couple thoughts.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
The problem using a tool to drag through the soil to obtain a ditch 6-8" wide is much different than burying a water or elec line. In the case of the elec or water line you are only opening the ground enough to get them in behind the implement. With a footing 6-8" wide and 12" deep, you have to get the material out of the ditch and out of the way.

Since you mention footing in your area only need to be 12" deep you might consider a tree spade. Here's an inexpensive one. Or if your inclined fab something up to fit on a quick attach plate.

https://www.amazon.com/Titan-Attach...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

PoTreeBoy

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L35 Ford 3930
Mar 24, 2020
WestTn/NoMs
Folks -

I need to dig some trenches for french drains, perhaps foundation footings. I've seen the hacks using a ripper and a piece of conduit to direct bury rolled irrigation tubing, etc, but I need something a bit wider. A foot deep would be nice; more, better. If it was 6"-8" wide, that would be fine. I was wondering about a reinforced trenching shovel head fabbed onto the bucket somehow, but I also suspect that one of you, smarter than me, has already figured this one out. Your thoughts? I am all ears!

Thanks,

John Moorhead
I probably shouldn't admit it, but I've found that your forks (if you have them) can be used to cut a pretty good trench a foot or so deep. Of course, you have to clean the loose dirt out by hand. I've also seen trenches cut from the side with the loader bucket, but a foot deep but not very wide is probably pushing it.

Vigo

Equipment
B6100, B8200
Jan 9, 2022
San Antonio Texas
I second the middlebuster idea for this. I think that would work really well other than needing (maybe?) to clean it out by hand afterwards.

If you really want to go deeper than a foot the best option probably becomes something else.

I can't recommend anything FEL-mounted for this task, other than perhaps the stump bucket and a lot of PATIENCE. Because a stump bucket and a lack of patience is a recipe for regret.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I dug a 2 foot to 2 1/2 foot deep trench 280 foot long or so with the 66 inch bucket on my L2501 coming in from the sides. Not saying it is the most efficient way of digging a trench and does not leave a flat bottom and disturbs more soil than a backhoe or some other more suitable implement. For my one time only trench needs , in the soil type I have it worked out well. In a similar situation I would do it again.

DSC02093.JPG

Reactions: 3 users

Chanceywd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota L2501DT BH77 VIRNIG URG60-CT 1950 8N
Mar 26, 2021
central ny
I dug a 2 foot to 2 1/2 foot deep trench 280 foot long or so with the 66 inch bucket on my L2501 coming in from the sides. Not saying it is the most efficient way of digging a trench and does not leave a flat bottom and disturbs more soil than a backhoe or some other more suitable implement. For my one time only trench needs , in the soil type I have it worked out well. In a similar situation I would do it again.

View attachment 101538
Oh how I wish my soil in central upstate NY was like that! My rock to dirt ratio is about 80/20.

Bill

Reactions: 2 users

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Why not rent a miniexcavator for a day, you can easily do 500-700' of french drains if you don't live on a 'terminal moraine' (rocky mess from glacier...) ? Using a middle buster would probably be a 2 or 3 pass chore. Miniex...one and you're done !