Tree stump paint

ranger danger

Equipment
Kubota M6060, MEB 802A tactically quiet generator
Jun 11, 2017
East of Placerville Ca
I have several large (36"+ diameter) trees in my front yard i need to remove. I don't want to pay for an excavator to dig the stumps out or a grinder to get rid of them. I'm cheap!! I have lots of statuary (think Blair Witch) and large water bowls that I want to put on top of the stumps. What could I "paint" the top of the stumps with to delay rotting?

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Any good outdoor paint will work as well as anything can. Fence paint, barn paint, whatever. I would not spend money on quality house paint for that job.

Or oil it. Linseed, or really, anything. Waste motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, etc., would work, but that would not be kind to the environment.

OR, you could accelerate the rotting. Drill as many holes as big as you can - at least half inch, and as deep as you can. Get some cheap corn syrup or pancake syrup. Generic. Cheap. Mix it half and half with warm water, stir in a bit of yeast (like for making bread), and soak that thing.

The ants will love it, the fungi will love it, and the stump (or most of it) will be punk in a year. Might take longer with some species, and you might need to clean away the punk and do it twice.

I recently tried that on a 36" sycamore stump. Worked great. It was going to need a second dose, but I had to rent a backhoe (John Deere 310) for another project, so I spent 15 minutes ripping out what was left underground.

BTW, that backhoe cost me a grand for the weekend, and I got everything done that I needed to get done, and had time to spare. I could easily have taken out ten stumps that size over the weekend.

(It was fun,, too.) ;)

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Any good outdoor paint will work as well as anything can. Fence paint, barn paint, whatever. I would not spend money on quality house paint for that job.

Or oil it. Linseed, or really, anything. Waste motor oil, transmission fluid, hydraulic fluid, etc., would work, but that would not be kind to the environment.

OR, you could accelerate the rotting. Drill as many holes as big as you can - at least half inch, and as deep as you can. Get some cheap corn syrup or pancake syrup. Generic. Cheap. Mix it half and half with warm water, stir in a bit of yeast (like for making bread), and soak that thing.

The ants will love it, the fungi will love it, and the stump (or most of it) will be punk in a year. Might take longer with some species, and you might need to clean away the punk and do it twice.

I recently tried that on a 36" sycamore stump. Worked great. It was going to need a second dose, but I had to rent a backhoe (John Deere 310) for another project, so I spent 15 minutes ripping out what was left underground.

BTW, that backhoe cost me a grand for the weekend, and I got everything done that I needed to get done, and had time to spare. I could easily have taken out ten stumps that size over the weekend.

(It was fun,, too.) ;)

I have my very low hour 11" dig L48TLB standing by in my barn, for the few times I might need it.
At nearly 82, I don't actually care if it is cost effective for me to keep it.
I want to have "fun" at my convenience.
I have no way to estimate how many of those "fun" days may remain for me.

Reactions: 1 user

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
I have my very low hour 11" dig L48TLB standing by in my barn, for the few times I might need it.
Nice machine!

At nearly 82, I don't actually care if it is cost effective for me to keep it.
I like your attitude! :D

spending inheritance.png

I want to have "fun" at my convenience.
You've probably earned it. :)

I have no way to estimate how many of those "fun" days may remain for me.

May they be many! (y)

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
You're from California? Really dry part?

What kind of trees were they?

Could be best to leave them be......or maybe some simple Thompson's Water Seal.....depends on tree type.

Some western tree species are highly sought-after because they are rot-resistant to start with..... some cedars, redwood, etc.

My daughter in Capitola, California had a Redwood in her yard. First time I saw one up close when we visited in 2018. Had never been west of the Mississippi River before that.

I was trained as a Forester in the northeast.

Was about 40-48" DBH, or diameter at breast height (~4.5 up). Betting if cut off, that stump would last MANY years in their dry climate. Something like a water-seal or other similar would keep it from getting very grey, but don't think it would make it last any longer.

Just a thought.....

Last edited:

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Used motor oil that seals everything

Reactions: 1 user

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
I have two stumps that were cut off close to ground level, one an oak and another an ash. They have held big pots for flowers for 15+ years with no treatment at all. I may have put a coat of Thompson’s on one, but haven’t bothered since then. The stumps are 3-4 feet across.