Tree fights back...

m32825

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Jul 12, 2013
Central FL
Funny incident from this weekend...

We had half a dozen citrus trees that were in decline. They were showing signs of greening and needed to come out. I fired up the tractor, put the grapple on and got to work. The first three were smaller and in the worst shape. They pushed over easy, no problem at all. :cool:

Next one was pretty stocky. The base of the trunk was about six inches in diameter. This tree was in better shape and still firmly attached. No problem, I thought, and started pushing on it a few feet up for leverage. Like most citrus, this one branched out low, so there were multiple trunks at the level I was pushing on. I had them all pushed back a couple feet when one of them twisted off the end of them grapple and snapped back towards me.

I wasn't too concerned because the action was all unfolding a "safe" distance away in front of me. I failed to take into account the fruit that was still on the tree... :eek:

When the trunk snapped back, faster than I could see, all the fruit on it made a tight arc back towards me and pulled loose from the tree! Thankfully they pulled loose at an upward angle so there were no direct hits on me, but half a dozen oranges rained down on the canopy.

I completely failed to spot that hazard. Learn from my mistake and watch out for trees with fruit... they fight back! :)

-- Carl

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
Few years ago I had an oak tree that would randomly drop half eaten apples :eek: :eek: Happened to be one of the trees my wife's hammock was attached too :D:p:rolleyes:

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
INCOMING!!

[emoji521]
[emoji521]
[emoji521]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Brings to mind this quote:
"How many times does the car have to flip over before Fred stops ordering the ribs?"

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
That video is a good example of how to destroy the rear end/drive line out of a piece of equipment.

He makes a video, then takes it back to it's rightful owner and say, "It's making an odd noise and doesn't won't shift out of gear. I'm sure it's nothing though. Probably just not used often enough"

bucktail

Equipment
L1500DT, 6' king kutter back blade, boom, dirt scoop ford disk JD212
Jun 13, 2016
MN
Might get your ass kicked if you tangle with a coconut tree