Tranny Leak... From The Top! B7200HST

Eagle Creek

Equipment
B7200 HST, loader and tiller
I'm finding the top of the tranny wet with hydraulic oil. I just changed the oil & pulled the screens to clean them thinking I might fix the hyd. fade that's in the loader & 3 pt. hitch (it didn't)... New filter also.
After doing all this oil changing (engine too) I went out & did some mowing only to find the fade was still with me. It's not fast but none the less, still there.
The wetness of oil is in front of the filter on top of the tranny case right where you can (almost) see under the opening looking forward. Can't see what's in there to leak and I've looked at exploded views of this area. I'd like to take that top off! Also thinking it could be the tranny gasket but that'd prolly be too easy :rolleyes:

Any ideas would be much appreciated. The area in red is where it's wet.

thanks........... b

Attachments

Eagle Creek

Equipment
I was wrong as to the area of leakage. The red area is dry. It's behind that red area and runs down the side. It was leaking before I installed the new filter.
I need to run the tractor & sleuth it out further. I just read in the manual that there could be pin holes that are unable to be seen but leak during high pressure. Gotta use a piece of paper or thin wood for it to spray on because it could penetrate skin & that'd be bad!

.....b

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
Ya that would be a bad thing. Does not sound like a simple fix. Someone who knows more will kick in here to give you some better advice. Good luck. And keep us posted.:D Dusty

traildust

Equipment
B7610HST 4WD, LA352 FEL, Gearmore 2 Spool Top & Tilt Box Scraper
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Depending on access try using an inspection mirror to have a look. Good luck.

pat331

Equipment
L35, mower, bushhog, cement mixer, grader, boxblade, forks, posthole digger
Mar 31, 2009
Ft. Worth, TX
....b, you are right that a leaking high pressure hydraulic hose can inject oil directly through your skin. My brother lost most of a thumb precisely that way. Use anything beside your fingers to find that leak! Good Luck and keep us posted.

Eagle Creek

Equipment
I got the hose replaced and that slowed the front loader fade issue. found another hose leak on the loader and will have another hose made. That should take care of the loader fade.

Replaced the hose by the hyd. fill port but discovered my first thot of a leak was coming from under the plate. It's right where the rear end and the tranny are joined... but on top of the tranny....:rolleyes:
Will do an exploded viewing later.

Eagle Creek

Equipment
I went to the Kubota dealer first cuz I called'm & they said "ya, sure, we can make it for about $25". So I headed in only to find they din't have the ends. They sent me over to the FLAPS (friendly local auto parts) across the street (NAPA). They din't have the ends either...
I took a 2 mile detour on my way home and went into the Sandy NAPA which they were able to make up the 2 hoses I needed :) for a total of $45 (schweet!) It really "pays" to call around.
I'd called on place about making the hoses & they quoted $70. Won't ever go there!

I keep checking the tranny dip stick (when it isn't running) and it says it's too full. Maybe that's why it's leaking??? Gonna take some out today & see if that doesn't help...

.....b

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Eagle, thanks for the rundown on your hydro hose. I'm faced woth changing one real soon. One of my lines going to the t-n-t is chafed into the steel braiding. There is a NAPA in my local area and I'll be checking to see if they make hydro lines, I hope they do. I do like my dealer but he is at least a 30 minute drive one way and the NAPA is only 5 minutes.

Good luck on resolving the leak you have. Hopefully it is just a matter of letting some fluid out to bring the level down.

Take care.....

Eagle Creek

Equipment
Just had another hose made up at NAPA for the looader. Now all hoses are leak free. Found the left cylinder passing a slight amout of fluid but the fading is almost down to nothing!

Still have the tranny leak even after draining a qt. Yup, overfilled it so ya just can't get all the hydro fluid out by opening the 3 ports under the machine as the book says. I even stopped at 12.5 qts and the book says 14.3.

I really need photos of the tranny split from the case. The leak is just under the flap of metal (in back of the filter and infront of the dip stick). It's that
2" of unseen area that harbors the leak & I don't know what's there. I can see the fluid flowing in this 3/4" window of an open area....Just drive me nuts!! :confused:

If anyone can point me in the direction of some good photos please let me know.

thanks.......b

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
Sounds good you have even more new hydro lines and things are looking better in that area.

You are correct about how the innards of these tractors harbor a lot of fluid when draining. Is there any way at all that you can use an inspection mirror to find the leak? If you can see the fluid running then it sounds like you only need to see just a little more to the side.

Eagle Creek

Equipment
Here's a couple pics to show where this oil leak is. The white arrows point where the oil comes out. Still haven't determined if it begins leaking when the loader is used or the 3 point with the brush hawg being raised & lowered. Got me a small mirror to scope it with in the morning. :)
Vic... step in any time with ideas about where this fluid could be coming from....... please help!
...b

Attachments

Last edited:

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
I hope the mirror helps spot the evil leaky thing. From the looks of it, either you cleaned it up real well or it just started leaking. I'm guessing if it had been leaking for quite some time there would be a build up of crap from dirt and what not.

I sure hope you get that thing resolved, I feel for you.

Eagle Creek

Equipment
I figured out that it's the loader that is causing this leak. The 3 point has no effect on it. I also found that the leak appears at certain instances. I'm thinking it's when there is downward force put on the bucket when it's on the ground. I raised it to the heigth that it would be while mowing and there was no leak :rolleyes: I dunno.

When I was doing all this I noticed the leaks stopped after I had turned the hyd. valve off going to the front loader. After turning it on the leaking got less.

Anyone have thoughts or ideas regarding this weird thang?

Oh... and I de-rusted the battery tray too. :D Painted it nice & orange!

..b

traildust

Equipment
Jan 27, 2010
Phelan, California
That is a strange thing for sure! So after cycling the valve the leak is reduced while performing the same functions that made it leak....strange indeed :confused:

DsBota

Equipment
B8200, G1800
Apr 13, 2010
Milton, Ontario, Canada
I wonder if it's running from somewhere higher up? Is that your return from the hydraulic block that I see in the one picture? Could it just be pooling there cause its a low spot?

dusty-t

Feb 17, 2009
Mountforest Ontario
I have been watching this thread with no input. Didn't have a clue. Still don't. Anyway if that is a factory loader then the front port on the hydraulic selector valve ( beside the brake pedal ) sends oil to the loader, the power beyond outlet on the loader valve goes to the rear port on the selector valve. The other line from the loader valve goes to the reservoir by way of that aluminum fitting with the filler cap on top. Very little pressure on that return line. This is just a description and you may already be aware of all this. If a line got switched around on the loader and pressure went through the return line. Like I said I don't have a clue what is wrong. But I thought I would put this in here. If I think of anything else I will let you know. Limited knowledge here I am afraid. Good luck and keep us posted.:D Dusty