Trailer for BX to tow and be towed?

Wings

Nov 5, 2016
Central Ohio
New Kubota bx owner (and new tractor owner period). Any recommendations on a trailer that is small enough for the BX to tow (to take trash down driveway, etc) but large enough for my truck to tow the BX to the shop,etc? I'm a total newbie when it comes to trailers. Fwiw, I drive a Ford Escape that I'm going to have to add a hitch to but will probably get rid of the ford in 2-3 yrs

If such a trailer exists would you recommend me doing this?

Thanks

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
If you have loader and BH, you need at least a 14', and a 16' is better. Your tractor doesn't weigh all that much, but you don't want to load it in a single axle trailer and go down the highway. I move my 16 and 18' trailers around the property with my BX no problem. I personally would rather have a nice dual axle with brakes, if you have a trailer brake unit on the Escape, you will be maxed out but still safer than hauling a smaller trailer with NO brakes and the tractor on it. Get some 10K straps with axle wraps or chains and binders too.

You can always get a little 4x4 or 4x6 HF trailer for trash cans.

Last edited:

Wings

Nov 5, 2016
Central Ohio
I have a 2370 with FEL and box blade ( but I can take off BB if needed.)

I think the escape is rated at 3500# if I get class II towing

That is a good thought about just getting a small trailer for use around the property. I don't anticipate taking the BX off property - especially if there is a large price difference in the trailers

Last edited:

1970cs

Apr 26, 2016
Grand Ledge
A 6x12 single axle with a solid build will do the job with a foot to spare!

Bare in mind, that any implement for the rear would leave no room. You could cheat by putting the bucket over the tounge and no beaver tail ramp could make it with a rear implement. But weight wise you would be at your max weight.

Pat

bearskinner

Equipment
BX25D, snowblower, PHD, Grapple, Snow blade, land Plane
Sep 1, 2014
N. Idaho
"OVERKILL IS UNDER RATED"

Nothing like having more trailer than you need, and more truck too. Piece of mind is a wonderful thing, plus you don't want to get sued, if an accident happens

MadMax31

Equipment
BX23S, 60" MMM
Nov 5, 2014
New York
I have a 6' 6" by 12' tandem axle, rated for at least 5500 lbs, one axle has brakes. The length is fine for my B with loader, but not the bush hog or really anyhting else hanging off the back of tractor.

Getting your load moving is not the problem, stopping it is the challenge. Thats where you will find an Escape will be pushed around by a small load like that.

Id recommended chain binders to secure machine, and a electric brake controller for your Escape. Im assuming you have a V6 or at least a Eco Boost under your hood. If not, I believe your asking for trouble. A small SUV is likely on a unibody chassis, not a ladder frame like a larger SUV or most pickups.

You could rent an F150 for pulling your trailer, unless you plan on moving it alot?

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
I'be been looking at a 18 ft PJ trailer for my BX, but also because it lets me haul just about the longest lumber I'd expect to need for any project, or some other equipment (like a snow blower or another implement) along with my BX.

As for what the BX can tow, I towed a 20 ft enclosed (think contractor trailer) through 2 ft of snow using a 3 point adapter. The only problem I had was when I got the tractor hung up on a drift (tires off the ground). I wouldn't want to use something that big for hauling garbage to the end of the driveway, it would be tough to turn arround or back up he driveway.

br6983

Equipment
BX1870
Jan 15, 2017
Owatonna, MN
I just purchased a bx1870 with a loader and hauled it home with an Aluma 7710H which is 6 1/2 ft wide and 10 ft long with a single 3500lb axle and a front splash guard. This fit perfect. If I were to buy a new trailer it would be 12 ft just to give it a little wiggle room. This trailer has 15 in wheels and is all aluminum. Tows great and pulls around the yard great without digging up the grass. Aluma makes some of the nicest trailers available.

SDMauler

Equipment
2009 BX2360TV60, RCK60B-23BX
Aug 8, 2014
Parker, SD
I would concentrate on a trailer that would be most useful on your property. I only have 7 acres, and have found that a compact pickup bed trailer is perfect for my BX2360 (think older Ford Courier, Toyota short bed, or Chevy Luv). Mine cost around $200 and was in good shape. I put a tool box on the A frame, and side boards on the front and sides. I found a tarp that perfectly fits the sideboards to keep stuff dry if I need to leave it out for a day or so. I can haul firewood, grass, hay, fencing supplies, tools, whatever the project calls for. I think you'd find a 16-18 foot trailer is not very maneuverable. Since you hopefully won't be taking it to the shop very often, you could rent a trailer for that purpose, or pay the shop to come get it. Your Escape may be rated to tow the weight of a trailer and your tractor, but I think it would be a white knuckle ride. And, in an emergency maneuver situation, that trailer would have its way with your Escape (yes, I own one). Just my opinion.

Bmbbm

Equipment
Bx2370 land pride box blade 60"mmm kubota fel
May 29, 2016
Chillicothe mo
New Kubota bx owner (and new tractor owner period). Any recommendations on a trailer that is small enough for the BX to tow (to take trash down driveway, etc) but large enough for my truck to tow the BX to the shop,etc? I'm a total newbie when it comes to trailers. Fwiw, I drive a Ford Escape that I'm going to have to add a hitch to but will probably get rid of the ford in 2-3 yrs

Thanks
I also have a BX 2370 with FEL and Box Blade. I have hauled it on a 6x12' single axle trailer by lifting the FEL over the front. Your BX will pull it or a tandem no problem. If your going to be hauling the tractor around a lot I would recommend a tandem axle trailer, but You will find that a single axle is much more maneuverable around home. Allow plenty of time to stop it when towing with your Escape.

Pleease

Equipment
BX1880
Dec 29, 2017
Erlanger, KY
I just purchased a bx1870 with a loader and hauled it home with an Aluma 7710H which is 6 1/2 ft wide and 10 ft long with a single 3500lb axle and a front splash guard. This fit perfect. If I were to buy a new trailer it would be 12 ft just to give it a little wiggle room. This trailer has 15 in wheels and is all aluminum. Tows great and pulls around the yard great without digging up the grass. Aluma makes some of the nicest trailers available.
Hi, yours is a pretty old comment, but hope you see this. I have a BX1880 with loader & 54" belly mower, and have been looking at trailers until my eyes crossed, trying to find a good aluminum trailer at a reasonable cost. Have towed the tractor 3x on a 5x10' steel trailer, which it just fits in. Was looking for a 12', but ultimately settled for a 10' - a used Aluma 6310H, which is like yours only narrower, with a 3500# axle - because I got fixated on Aluma quality, and that was the size I could find. The trailer should handle the weight easily, since it weighs only 460# itself, leaving 2430# to reach its 2990# rating, and 3040# on the axle rating.

Anyways, just wondering how the 7710H has worked out for you. I'll probably haul the tractor maybe once a year, and can take my time on 2-lane roads, but will use the trailer occasionally for other stuff - lumber, cabinets, etc. Really like how light it is - very easy to move around by hand even - and....no rust!

Any feedback on your experience would be great. Thanks in advance.

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
If you are only hauling it once a year use a U-Haul. No storage no maintenance and could get the 12 feet you want. Buy a small yard trailer off FB if you need it for the lawn work.

Reactions: 1 user

CaptainDave

Equipment
Kubota b8200 , magnatrac mt2000 , John Deere 140h3
Feb 15, 2021
Ennis Montana

Thanks
A trailer big enough to haul your tractor is way overkill for hauling trash down driveway, a box on the three point hitch would be easier to maneuver not to mention turning the trailer around.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
I have a 2370 with FEL and box blade ( but I can take off BB if needed.)

I think the escape is rated at 3500# if I get class II towing

That is a good thought about just getting a small trailer for use around the property. I don't anticipate taking the BX off property - especially if there is a large price difference in the trailers
I think this is the most reasonable thing to do. I have pulled my 5x8 road licensed dump trailer with my BX. It worked, but with hills was difficult if the grass/ground was more than just damp. That is with AG tires which are foam filled so heavy, and the MMM in place. No loader.

I would think having two trailers, one to haul stuff around the property, and the other to haul the tractor would be the best solution.

thirdroc17

Dec 25, 2013
Michigan
This thread is 4 years old, so probably irrelevant.

My Escape is rated to tow 1,500 pounds, it takes special equipment to up that. So it depends on how your vehicle is equipped if you can pull any trailer with the tractor on it, even without attachments.

Pleease

Equipment
BX1880
Dec 29, 2017
Erlanger, KY
If you are only hauling it once a year use a U-Haul. No storage no maintenance and could get the 12 feet you want. Buy a small yard trailer off FB if you need it for the lawn work.
Good idea.

One point, specifically about U-Haul. In December I rented their 6x12 utility trailer to bring my Kubota BX tractor in for service. Went to load it, with the 54" mowing deck on it.....and it wouldn't fit onto the trailer. Surprised the heck out of me, but the gate/ramp on their trailer doesn't extend all the way across the back of the trailer, like every trailer I've ever used or noticed. Instead it has a little "wall" on each side of the gate, maybe 8-10 inches. The outside width of the deck is 57", but the gate is only like 55", and it was steel-on-steel - no go. So couldn't load a 57" wide object on a 72" wide trailer.

Just a heads-up to measure before you rent, so it's not $50 wasted, a round trip, and a little frustration....especially if it's starting to rain when you're messing with it, lol.

Killingitcountry

Equipment
Kubota KX040-4, BX25D, BX2755HD - EXPAND for link to my YouTube Channel :-)
Feb 12, 2021
Ontario
www.youtube.com
I tow my BX25D on a 6 x 12' Quality Steel & Aluminum open utility trailer. It's been great but I wouldn't want anything smaller/lighter duty. I'm right on the limit in terms of weight and I have to swing the hoe over to one side to get the gate to close.

thumbnail_IMG_4533.jpg

IMG_3551.JPG