Trail maintenance (mowing mostly). Recommendations?

jkahan

Equipment
KX057-5, M5040, B3200HSD, RTV, ZD1211-60
Dec 26, 2013
vt
Looking for what people use to brushhog (brush mowers) trails -- I have about 9 miles of trails - all accessible by atvs, tractors, etc... but a lot of them are steep; I generally only use a tracked atv, tracked Kubota RTV, or excavator... There are places where wheeled vehicles are either going to get stuck or do damage to the trails. Thinking of a tow-behind brush mower - two popular brands are of course Swisher and DR.. I actually have (well my neighbor has it now) an old DR walk-behind brush mower and it is a beast and awesome but using it for all these trails is impractical and it won't make it all the way around (even with chains). It "appears" (based on reviews) that the DR tow-behind models have some problems with reliability and repair metrics. I also have a brush cutter on my mini but it is impractical for covering long distances as one can't cut while moving with it (flow metrics).. So looking for recommendations / experiences and sorry for the rambling.

Obligatory Kubota photo...
1723029582818.png

gmgmgm

Equipment
B2150 / L1361
Jan 22, 2020
United Kingdom
The trails must be steep if you need tracks for them.

Which parts of the trail are you trying to cut - the main grass/bottom, or the edges, or the sides?

I have a "verge/ditch" flail, with which I can cut the bottom grass, the edges, and the sides up to about 5ft high. You have an M5045 tractor, perhaps such a flail would work for you too.

I'm in the UK, flail mowers are much more popular than "brush hog"-type. A flail doesn't stick out so far, so it might be easier on steep slopes, and navigating around tight wooded areas.

Reactions: 1 user

chris_the_wrench

Equipment
L3902
Oct 31, 2023
Chinook Pass
I use a bcs walk behind with a flail mower attachment, but here is a active thread on this topic:

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25DLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Looking for what people use to brushhog (brush mowers) trails -- I have about 9 miles of trails - all accessible by atvs, tractors, etc... but a lot of them are steep; I generally only use a tracked atv, tracked Kubota RTV, or excavator... There are places where wheeled vehicles are either going to get stuck or do damage to the trails. Thinking of a tow-behind brush mower - two popular brands are of course Swisher and DR.. I actually have (well my neighbor has it now) an old DR walk-behind brush mower and it is a beast and awesome but using it for all these trails is impractical and it won't make it all the way around (even with chains). It "appears" (based on reviews) that the DR tow-behind models have some problems with reliability and repair metrics. I also have a brush cutter on my mini but it is impractical for covering long distances as one can't cut while moving with it (flow metrics).. So looking for recommendations / experiences and sorry for the rambling.

Obligatory Kubota photo...
View attachment 134406
Have you looked at the Wessex brand? Good Works Tractor Co. is now selling them. Courtney did a nice review of the different models and capabilities on his YouTube channel a few weeks ago. They are designed to be pulled behind an ATV/UTV and Wessex offers both flail and standard rotary models.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
I use a L2501 hst with a light duty Landpride 6 foot brush cutter on my roughly 5 to 6 mile total trail system. I also have some steep hills but when I laid out my trails I avoided any off camber trails on those steep hills. Straight up or straight down, keeps the "clinch" factor to a minimum. lol.

I will mention that I have to be very careful to avoid erosion on the very steep parts due to my very sandy soil. Once I start to get erosion in my two tracks steep hill section it is difficult to maintain or stop the erosion. I have abandoned one small section completely for that reason.

nbryan

Equipment
B2650 BH77 LA534 54" ssqa Forks B2782B BB1560 Woods M5-4 MaxxHaul 50039
Jan 3, 2019
Hadashville, Manitoba, Canada
My at least 3rd hand rather old and beat up looking Woods M5-4 "bush hog" 3-point rear mower (60") with little if any cutting edge sharpness spends most of the summer behind my B2650HSD. Although mowing down tree saplings up to about 1 1/2" diameter are not a problem, I rarely meet those anymore as the few miles of trails I maintain are well established now. This is flat land here, mostly, with a couple of spots near the river where old meandering and oxbow formations get interesting. I do the right-angle attack traversing those, too.
Having no idea how rough and steep your trails actually are, it may be my tractor setup with the 3-point /pto system is impractical for you.
But I can vouch for the toughness of my old Woods rotary mower.

rc51stierhoff

Equipment
B2650, MX6000, Ford 8N, (BX sold)
Sep 13, 2021
Ohio
Good day, in the late 2000s I had a swisher trail mower to pull behind my ATV…IMO it was not very durable. The tongue was not very durable. The deck was bolt together and way less durable than a fabricated deck. Then finally the tension mechanism was under spec’d. After limited use the tension had to be adjusted ever time used. I sold it after a few years and limited use. On the plus side, simple construction and easy to repair…bad news is required continuous repair. I would also mention if the leash/tether for kill switch is dropped or come of in woods, it was awkward and concerning to reach across the deck while it was running. It was easy to forget and or the securing method less than ideal (clip that could pull off). Well once it falls off(sure unusual case) it still needs shut off. I did not enjoy that…so maybe check out how those shutoff if has its own engine. YMMV.

Personally I would not consider any sort of walk behind option for steep terrain.

If I were looking for machine for steep slopes, I’d investigate Ventrac. I have a neighbor with one and they are like a Billy goat. I have no first person user experience but it’s impressive what they will traverse while mowing. Without looking/online search I would bet ventrac costs way way more than a swisher or DR.

Good luck.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

MOOTS

Lifetime Member

Equipment
MX6000
Jun 27, 2019
Canton, Georgia
If I were looking for machine for steep slopes, I’d investigate Ventrac. I have a neighbor with one and they are like a Billy goat. I have no first person usher experience but it’s impressive what they will traverse while mowing. Without looking/online search I would bet ventrac costs way way more than a swisher or DR.

Good luck.
About $30-35k with 60” deck and 8 wheels.
We have one at work. And yes, they are great.
IMG_4905.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

jkahan

Equipment
Dec 26, 2013
vt
thanks for all the replies - I do have the option of using a 3pt rotary cutter behind either a Kubota B3200HSD (would have to buy one); currently have a Woods 72" that I use behind my M5040 but the M5040 is likely too big (cab and all) and as noted previously, concerned with the B3200 getting stuck; I've looked into the Ventrac but can't remotely justify the cost as trail mowing will only be a a 2 or 3 time per year event for me. anycase; thanks all for the info.

Last edited:

jkahan

Equipment
Dec 26, 2013
vt
The trails must be steep if you need tracks for them.

Which parts of the trail are you trying to cut - the main grass/bottom, or the edges, or the sides?

I have a "verge/ditch" flail, with which I can cut the bottom grass, the edges, and the sides up to about 5ft high. You have an M5045 tractor, perhaps such a flail would work for you too.

I'm in the UK, flail mowers are much more popular than "brush hog"-type. A flail doesn't stick out so far, so it might be easier on steep slopes, and navigating around tight wooded areas.
I really think I need to be cutting with a tracked vehicles. Trails are all wide enough and well designed but they are very steep in places and muddy in spots as well. Getting stuck (has happened before of course) is a major PIA and expensive / time intensive recovery matter.

jkahan

Equipment
Dec 26, 2013
vt
Again, thanks to all for the replies... just placed an order for a Kunz tow behind brush mower - with options -- $6K -- seems to be well liked in the xc ski trail community - fyi dealing with Matt Kunz was awesome. Again - thanks for all the info.

Reactions: 2 users

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
If the mower doesn’t work out, you could hire someone to mow them. There is a guy near me who runs a business of mowing ski slopes and other tough to mow places using Aebi tractors. I believe he covers all of New England

jkahan

Equipment
Dec 26, 2013
vt
And to beat a dead horse....
Received and assembled my Kunz 44" tow behind mower. 750 pounds of mower arrived on a pallet. Assembly was very straight forward. Obviously, these once-in-a-blue-moon assembly activities can always be a challenge.

Even though I have only used it for about 2 to 3 hour, it is perfect for my application -- mowing very steep 6-10' wide trails; have 9+ miles of trails to maintain. Nothing too wet. Had no trouble pulling it behind a tracked Can-Am Outlander 1000 ATV. Not going to pull it behind my tracked Kubota RTV as I want to be closer to the mower. Dealing with Kunz Engineering has been awesome.
1723664500966.png