Tractor wheel painting made easy

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Hi Guys,

Here is a slick trick I learned on painting wheels that makes the whole job relatively quick and easy. It involves a strip of aluminum roof flashing...but more on that in a minute.

After rehabilitating my old L260, all I had left to do was paint the wheels. They were in good shape, but weathered and in need of paint:

[/URL][/IMG]

Because my tires are loaded with Calcium Chloride solution they are HEAVY, so I use a shop crane to demount them from the tractor and move them aside:

[/URL][/IMG]

I lay them down, backside up first and prep them for paint. These had decent (albeit ugly) paint on them so I cleaned and sanded them, doing the backside first:

[/URL][/IMG]

Here is the best part, once ready for paint, I take a strip of 8" aluminum roof flashing and tuck it into the groove between the rim lip and the tire bead. Don't worry if the flashing isn't long enough to reach all the way around, it can be repositioned as needed during painting. You can see some orange paint on the flashing left over from using this same piece on the front wheels earlier:

[/URL][/IMG]

Now spray the rims! adjust the position of the flashing as needed.

[/URL][/IMG]

You can see the aluminum flashing makes a nice clean mask between the rim and tire:

[/URL][/IMG]

Let the rear dry, then flip the wheel over and repeat on the front. While the wheel was off was a good time to wire brush and paint the hubs:

[/URL][/IMG]

Using the aluminum flashing makes the job fast!. Factor in drying times and the whole tractor was done in six evenings after work:

[/URL][/IMG]

Cheers!

Ren

Last edited:

Rockon75

Equipment
L2550 GST
Aug 17, 2014
Maryland
What a gr8 tip. I spent way too much time taping newspaper around the lip of the rims. That is a true time saver. Thanks 4 sharing.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
Looks fantastic!

I normally use 4" painters tape for that shroud but I like the flashing idea... great!

CJN8

Equipment
B2650HSD, LA534 FEL, Gearmore Box Blade, Bush Hog, Cimmeron Rake
Nov 16, 2013
San Diego, CA
Looks great! Are you using Kubota blue or did you find another manufacturer that was close? I have heard rustolem "night tide" is a close match.

chad450r

Equipment
B2650, LP 60"Box scraper, LP FDR1660, 64" Blower...
Sep 23, 2014
Michigan
A neat and useful trick I learned years ago, is to brush liquid dish soap on the tire and let it dry. A couple coats works best and paint way. Wash it off when done. Depending on the tire/ rim combination it allows you to get the rim lip painted
Nice looking machine by the way.

gpreuss

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200DT w/FEL, K650 Backhoe, 5' Rotary, 40" Howard Rotavator, 6' Rhino blade
Oct 9, 2011
Spokane, WA
What a nice timely tip! I've been wondering how best to paint mine - both front and back. Thanks for the pic's!

pejepscot

Equipment
Kubota L260
Aug 12, 2014
Topsham, ME
Looks great! Are you using Kubota blue or did you find another manufacturer that was close? I have heard rustolem "night tide" is a close match.
Yes, this is not a restoration, more of a rehabilitation, so "close enough" was acceptable to me. The blue is in fact Rustoleum Night Tide. It is close to the old Kubota blue, but a wee bit bluer. It becomes less blue as it cures and gets closer to correct. The hubs in the picture above were still tacky and hence still bright blue.
The orange is also Rustoleum. It is called Lobster Red. Being from Maine I felt compelled to go with this one for some reason... ;^)

Ren

olekid

Equipment
B7510,loader, Curtis heated cab, loaded tires snowblower,grader blade,snow plow
Apr 9, 2013
Mount Uniacke, Nova Scotia
Greetings, that is an excellent idea, thanks for sharing, that's what I like about OTT, everybody is right there to share their ideas and help others, not enough of that in this world!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL!!