Tractor randomly shut off

GaryM6040

Equipment
M6040
Aug 23, 2024
Tennessee
Hello I have 2013 M6040 Rops and I at first had problems getting tractor to start. It acted like the ignition switch was dead. You had to leave key in run position until you hear a click then it would fire right up. Sometimes it took 2 hours but mostly about 15 to 30 min. It stop doing that for a couple months. But now just shuts off whenever. Most of time within 2 to 5 min of running the tractor. It starts right back up afterwards when you hear that same click. I'm thinking ecu but idk. I'm hoping someone out there can help me before I waste money replacing parts at random.

TheOldHokie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3901/LA525, B7200DT/B1630, G2160/RCK60, G2460/RCK60
Apr 6, 2021
Myersville, MD
windyridgefarm.us
Hello I have 2013 M6040 Rops and I at first had problems getting tractor to start. It acted like the ignition switch was dead. You had to leave key in run position until you hear a click then it would fire right up. Sometimes it took 2 hours but mostly about 15 to 30 min. It stop doing that for a couple months. But now just shuts off whenever. Most of time within 2 to 5 min of running the tractor. It starts right back up afterwards when you hear that same click. I'm thinking ecu but idk. I'm hoping someone out there can help me before I waste money replacing parts at random.
I am thinking of lots of things other than the ECU.

Dan

JasonW

Jan 29, 2015
Al
The only safety switches should just be for starting. The neutral switch on the shuttle and the PTO switch. Nothing will the kill the engine after its running unless the stop solenoid. Even with the PTO engaged while moving if you get off the seat it’s just a buzzer.

No ECU on this model. I’d look at the key switch, stop solenoid and the wiring between the two. Possible rodent damage and/or a shorted wire.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Sounds like you have an issue with the fuel stop solenoid or a relay if so equipped.
Follow the WSM for how to test it.

FYI: Your tractor does not have an ECU or ECM.