Towing Capacity

Jedi

Jul 18, 2015
Kelowna, B.C.
Hi There,

Newbie here, just bought a new GR2120 mower, just wondering what the towing capacity might be with this little guy, it has a hitch attachment. I'm also in the market for a snow blower, if anyone knows of one that might be available.

Thanks
Jim

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Hi There,

Newbie here, just bought a new GR2120 mower, just wondering what the towing capacity might be with this little guy, it has a hitch attachment. I'm also in the market for a snow blower, if anyone knows of one that might be available.

Thanks
Jim
Jim,

what where you thinking ....when you say tow? I small wagon like is found at Tractor Supply? or .......????

it would pull a small wagon full of wood......make sure you aint going downhill! ;)

tell us what you have in mind?

man00

Jul 3, 2013
okla
I thought the towing capacity was around the weight of the lawn tractor including the rider.

ShaunRH

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3200
May 14, 2014
Atascadero, CA
You could go by the old farmers method. If the wheels start slipping it's too heavy! :D

Towing is more about braking and control. If you feel like the load is controlling you and your aren't controlling it, it's too heavy.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Like shadow said no more than a sweeper, and that's probably pushing it.

That model has a very week transmission and you'll just end up doing damage to it. ;)

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
Thanks for the info, I sent Kubota an email regarding tow capacity, I'll post what they say.

Jim
Have you heard back yet?
I would bet, that they'll tell you to tow nothing more then a little cart. I read reports of the transmission, not the known 2100 issue, but also on the 2120 going south if not used properly, according to manufacturer recommendation.
Having said that, i have a 12X6 dual axl trailer stored in my shed without being able to get my truck down there, and i have used my GR to pull it up to my driveway, but i wouldn't want to do it to often. The machine was straining...

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Don't know the specs of your mower, but learned the hard way, about 40 years ago. Had a Gravely 816 (about 1000lb 16 hp twin kohler, engine in the rear). Brand new mower, I was about 12. Loaded up the cart, that came with the mower(10 cubic feet), with about 30 cubic feet of green cherry wood, just split. Hauled it around in 4th gear (as fast as it would go), went around the top of the hill we were clearing. felt the pull change, looked back cart was on 1 wheel, and starting to roll. I rolled off the top side of the mower, as I knocked the stick into neutral, and threw the wheel toward the bottom of the hill. Too late, mower flipped(no deck under it, at the time), rolled 4-5 timed down that hill. bent the trailer hitch, a little, mower disconnected from the trailer, both continued rolling, trailer scattered wood about 75 feet, down the hill, tractor ended up upside down, at the bottom of the hill still running. Ran down the hill, turned the key off, and by my self rolled it the rest of the way over. Checked the oil, didn't loose any, so I started it back up, hooked up the trailer again, and made 4 trips to pick up all the wood. Only damage to tractor was a missing steering wheel center cover, and a slight egging of the steering wheel...

As someone else said, don't pull more than you can stop...:D

Last edited:

78Vette

Equipment
F2690
Mar 14, 2010
SW Ont. Canada
Haven't heard back from Kubota, been almost a week, I guess they don't care what you do.
Maybe next week!
If your dealer is worth his salt, he would pick up the phone and make a quick call to his Kubota rep. and find out within an hour. It may be fall before they'll reply, if at all.....

Jedi

Jul 18, 2015
Kelowna, B.C.
It's been over a month now, no response from the dealer or Kubota regarding towing capacity.
Hope if I have any warranty issues the service is better than what I've seen so far.

Jim

armylifer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, RCK54P MMM, BB1548 Box Scraper, Quick Hitch, Piranha Bar, BX6315
Mar 26, 2013
Thurston County, WA
I have a BX1860. I tow my travel trailer around my property for use when I have visitors. It weighs more than 7500 pounds dry weight. I have weighed the tongue weight at more than 750 LBS and never had a problem with pulling it with my little Kubota 1860. Mine is one of the smallest tractors that Kubota makes and I have never had a problem pulling any of the trailers that I own around the 5 acres that I have just described here. I cannot imagine another Kubota having trouble pulling trailers around any property, anywhere.

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
It's been over a month now, no response from the dealer or Kubota regarding towing capacity.
Hope if I have any warranty issues the service is better than what I've seen so far.

Jim
I have made several inquiries on the Kubota email contact address and always got an answer of some sort in a day or two if not a weekend. Sometimes I have to rephrase the question if I don't get a response that makes sense. Try again.

Shadow

May 18, 2015
Somewhere
I have a BX1860. I tow my travel trailer around my property for use when I have visitors. It weighs more than 7500 pounds dry weight. I have weighed the tongue weight at more than 750 LBS and never had a problem with pulling it with my little Kubota 1860. Mine is one of the smallest tractors that Kubota makes and I have never had a problem pulling any of the trailers that I own around the 5 acres that I have just described here. I cannot imagine another Kubota having trouble pulling trailers around any property, anywhere.
The GR transmissions are no where near as heavy as the BX's, which still aren't what I'd call "heavy", but they're built adequately for the machine that they are in. The GR transmissions are 2 aluminum halves that are bolted together with nearly 40 6mm bolts, using silicone to seal it. The GR2100's and some of the 2110's were plagued with alot of transmission problems, along with broken glide steer cables. The newer 20 series seem to have got right.

tcrote5516

Equipment
BX1860, FEL, 50" Front Blower, Heated Cab, 6' blade, 3pt carry all, 3pt hitch
Sep 2, 2014
Southern New Hampshire
The GR is a true lawn tractor not a tractor...tractor FYI. The BX isn't going to pull a combine but it's based on a scaled down version of a "real" tractor. The GR's are basically a couple clicks above your basic hydro drive big box lawnmowers in the transmission dept. The engine and frame are super heavy duty but the trans...not so much.