Top and tilt shuddering..

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3902, LA526, box scraper, grapple, pallet forks, tree ripper, lane shark 3
May 16, 2023
California coast
Hey folks!
Installed my top and tilt…. Tilt works as expected, but the top link “shudders” when extending the ram…. Pulling it in works just fine, but extending it…

Any thoughts?

cthomas

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610 HSDC
Jan 1, 2017
La Farge Wi
CHeck fluid level and cycle it a few times to bled air out. Also hook up an implement to help the cylinder bled the air out.

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
Yeah, sorry. Busy this morning, so didn’t tell all!
I always check fluids after installing something new.. also, have a 3pt QA and BB attached. In fact, that’s why I finally hooked up the t&t, so I could start ripping into my driveway without stopping and readjusting each pass..

I’ve used it a couple of dozen times now (extending, returning), and did some pulls along the road. Still shudders when extending…

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
You may want to try some flow restrictors.
These have solved these issues in the past.
Normally the easiest place to insert these would be between the hose end and the male coupler.
I recommend 1 on each hose, .031 for your application.
okay, can someone tell me how these flow restrictors work? I mean, beyond the obvious that they reduce the diameter of the hose…. Is it shuddering because the flow is too much? is the weight of the implement pulling the ram out?

I also have check valves on both top and side links…

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
It has to do with flow and what the check valve release pressure is set at. The chattering is the valve open-closing very quickly. I would guess that if you disconnected from the implement and opened the control valve all the way that you would not get any chattering in either direction.

Get the restrictors for each side and be happy that the chattering stops.

Kennyd4110

Vendor Member
Sep 7, 2013
Westminster, MD
www.boltonhooks.com
Does the top link have a 'check valve' on it?
If so, I've experienced the same behavior-I actually think you need more flow to satisfy the pilot in the checked valve and keep it from shuddering.

Reactions: 1 user

MtnViewRanch

Oct 10, 2012
Lakeside Ca.
Does the top link have a 'check valve' on it?
If so, I've experienced the same behavior-I actually think you need more flow to satisfy the pilot in the checked valve and keep it from shuddering.
Post #5

I can only speak from customer experiences, the flow restrictors work.
The problem is flow, that is for sure. But do you really want to be extending a top link, (or side link) fast with a 500-1000lb implement attached? Pretty tough to get a precise adjustment operating under those conditions.

The issue is when extending, not retracting. The implement is pulling on the rod creating the check valve to open-close.

Again, real-world use, flow restrictors work. ;)

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
Thanks for the answers!
okay, your explanation of what is happening makes sense…. Now, to find a pair of #6 jic restrictors where shipping doesn’t cost 6 times the cost of the part! So far, I’ve found them on universal power conversion, $4.xx each, $38 for shipping! Yikes!
Anywhere else I can find them?
I‘ll check Monday with my local supply place..

thanks!

Jasonized

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 16, 2023
California coast
Try to find the fitting you need here

then they have a function to check where you can get the fitting.

or you can find the part number and then search online for it and get it shipped to your address
I looked, I did find a part. Pretty much the same as one I had found elsewhere. 22.xx each, instead of 4.xx. Don’t know what they would want for shipping!

I have a local hydraulic guy, where I’ve been buying hoses and fittings. Hopefully cost is somewhere in between… I’ll check with him tomorrow…