Tooth Bars??

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
The BXpanded is excellent ........I had it on my BX for 8 years ....... never off

the EA seems it would work well too - real question, is the EA worth the extra bucks?

Reactions: 2 users

Nicfin36

Equipment
L2501 HST, BH77 Backhoe, SSQA Loader ZD1011 Mower
Jun 19, 2019
Decatur, AL
I chose the Piranha tooth bar because that was what was available at the time. I really have no complaints out of it. I would be surprised if I ever wear it out in my lifetime.

With that being said, the EA is supposed to be a harder steel. I am sure it is a well made product and one could argue it is superior.

However, I think either will serve you well, and you would not go wrong with either IMO.

Reactions: 1 user

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I bought the BXpanded earlier this year and had to wait 2 months for it. I consider myself a novice in terms of loader work but I will say it makes a big difference when working my heavy clay soil. It also destroys small trees and bushes instantly. Quite unlike the factory bucket edge. Consider ordering the Step drill bit offered with it. I am pretty handy but will confess to never having used or seen one before. It works great,

Reactions: 1 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
***Current*** M6060HDC, MX6000HSTC & GL7000 ***Sold*** MX6000HST & BX25TLB
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
I have an EA tooth bar and it's "wicked" for sure. Unlike the Piranah I was able to provide measurements so that I could unbolt the Kubota cutting edge and bolt on the EA tooth bar. BXpanded doesn't offer that option. In addition, the EA bar is AR 450 but I can't find any information on BXpanded's website re the material used. but it does appear to be a softer steel. Is the EA tooth bar worth the extra $160 compared to the Piranha? It is to me.

Ted did a test comparing the EA to the Piranah.

tooth_bar_14.jpg

PaulR

Equipment
BX 23S -- 100 hours seat time so far
Aug 3, 2020
Hadley, MA
Piranha = You'll wait 2 months for it to arrive.

EA = You'll wait 6 months for it to arrive.

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
Piranha = You'll wait 2 months for it to arrive.

EA = You'll wait 6 months for it to arrive.
I ordered a 72" Wicked Tooth Bar on 5/12 and received it on 7/21. @Matt Ellerbee ordered his 5/25 and it shipped 8/1.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Previous thread on the subject, my posts are numbers 75, 76, 77, 78, 91, 94, 177 :

D

Deleted member 47704

I ordered a 72" Wicked Tooth Bar on 5/12 and received it on 7/21. @Matt Ellerbee ordered his 5/25 and it shipped 8/1.
2 months is unacceptable.
I ordered on 8/8 haven't heard anything from them since.
In 5 weeks we can start freezing up and I won't need it.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Comparing the two is kinda hard as soil conditions vary so much, and you should have same operator, same tractor to do proper testing.ANY toothbar is better than NO toothbar,for digging or fluffing operations.
Without knowing what you're using it for, the less expensive one, would be ok. heck, they're just 'toothbars', either will help breakup soil,compost piles,remove saplings.
Old Bob brings up the HUGE issue...TIME. Some have the luxury of being able to put off jobs,others don't., so getting the tool or implement or device NOW is necessary.
3 years ago I couldn't see spending $500+ Canucks for a toothbar, so I made my own from 'recycled' steel. Sure ,it needs sharpening every few months,maybe 3 x a year, but it was built in less than a day, only comes off during, ugh, winter.... Any weld/fab shop can make it, don't know about cost though. 'Backyard bodgers' can as well. Sure ,not as 'pretty' as the store bought one, but it's going to get dirty,so as long as it does the job when you need it to, all is good.

Bri-Guy-GA

Equipment
Kubota BX1880
Sep 10, 2020
Villa Rica, GA
How would the Wicked tooth bar work on a BX? On my 1880 the bucket edge isn't removable so would I have to drill all of those holes through the edge? Have to say the idea of only drilling 2 holes is preferable.

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
How would the Wicked tooth bar work on a BX? On my 1880 the bucket edge isn't removable so would I have to drill all of those holes through the edge? Have to say the idea of only drilling 2 holes is preferable.
I think they have a similar install as the PTB ..... ether bolt through or allow those channels to grab the OEM blade as in the picture

1630328258548.png

mcmxi

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Feb 9, 2021
NW Montana
2 months is unacceptable.
I ordered on 8/8 haven't heard anything from them since.
In 5 weeks we can start freezing up and I won't need it.
How does that expression go ....

"Poor planning on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on our part".

BXpanded is saying approximately 4-6 weeks on the Piranha tooth bar. So far you haven't even waited three weeks for the EA!!

Reactions: 4 users

bbxlr8

Equipment
L2501 w/R14s, LA525, BH77, SGC0660, CL 5' BB, CL PHD, WG24 + Ford 1210 60" mmm,
Mar 29, 2021
Eastern PA

BXpanded is saying approximately 4-6 weeks on the Piranha tooth bar. So far you haven't even waited three weeks for the EA!!

BA took about 7 weeks for me - of course, I prob ordered at peak. I installed it the day it arrived and have been using about a month. Huge difference. I have pretty rocky land so we will see how it goes over time regarding the hardness...

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I ground down the welds on my edge where those 'toothbar fingers' slide in and only used the 2 large bolts on the ends. With the dimensions of the bucket I supplied EA nailed it.
It's been a great addition for the earthmoving and woods cleanup I've been doing.

OrangeKrush

Equipment
BX2680, LA344 with Piranha tooth bar, LP PF 1242, LP Rear Blade, KK 60" BB
Nov 15, 2020
Indy
I purchased the BXpanded for my BX and couldn't be happier. I don't foresee it wearing out but I will be taking it off for winter.

So far with this tooth bar on my BX, I find it more capable than my old B7510 without one.

D

Deleted member 47704

First of all its not poor planning on my part, I ordered the thing a couple days after the tractor showed up, I couldn't measure the bucket until I had it.

Second I didn't order an EA.

1/2" steel should cut at about 25 inches/minute on a plasma cutter even with all the zigzags on the teeth it shouldn't take more than 15 minutes to cut it.

I'm in manufacturing and our lead times haven't changed.

The issue was no communication from BX.All they had to do was shoot out an email that said your bar is in queue.

Anchovy

Equipment
L2501
Aug 29, 2021
Location?

I contacted EA about their products and they told me they have a 12 week lead time on all of their products

D

Deleted member 47704

Comparing the two is kinda hard as soil conditions vary so much, and you should have same operator, same tractor to do proper testing.ANY toothbar is better than NO toothbar,for digging or fluffing operations.
Without knowing what you're using it for, the less expensive one, would be ok. heck, they're just 'toothbars', either will help breakup soil,compost piles,remove saplings.
Old Bob brings up the HUGE issue...TIME. Some have the luxury of being able to put off jobs,others don't., so getting the tool or implement or device NOW is necessary.
3 years ago I couldn't see spending $500+ Canucks for a toothbar, so I made my own from 'recycled' steel. Sure ,it needs sharpening every few months,maybe 3 x a year, but it was built in less than a day, only comes off during, ugh, winter.... Any weld/fab shop can make it, don't know about cost though. 'Backyard bodgers' can as well. Sure ,not as 'pretty' as the store bought one, but it's going to get dirty,so as long as it does the job when you need it to, all is good.

We have a CNC plasma cutter, if I knew it was going to take 2 months I would have made my own.The virus excuse is worn out.