Toasty

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
1979 B7100DT Gear, Nissan Hanix N150-2 Excavator
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Official temp says 118, wife's car says 123, back patio shown below.
Supposed to be hotter tomorrow.

Attachments

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
They were just talking about the temps in phoenix on the national news calling for 122 degrees. We haven't come close to those temps yet here thankfully. Been in the high 80's to low 90's here with 80 percent or more humidity. Last week it hit 95 and felt like you could cut the air with a knife it was so thick.

Fro65

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3301HST, LA525, BH77, LP tiller, LP grader box, LP blade, BX2380
Dec 30, 2014
NorthEast Indiana
Holy smokes! I can't imagine. Have you seen a red guy with a pitchfork?

Nasty hail storm here an hour ago.

Attachments

sheepfarmer

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3560, B2650, Gator, Ingersoll mower
Nov 14, 2014
MidMichigan
Was 93 more or less a few days ago here, but thank you Canada the cool air has drifted in from the North. Was getting desperate and got a ceiling fan installed over the LaZBoy...no AC, usually only 8 or 9 days a summer when really needed so I never bothered. This could be the summer I wish for it.

Now 120, I think even the planes don't fly at that temp.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
A tad cooler under my patio (where I was grilling pork chops)...

We are used to this heat. What worries me is it often wanders east intact and still roasty and most folks out there are not prepared. This one is a biggee folks. We will be above 112 for almost a week. That kind of heat mass will hold its own as it moves east. Get ready.

This time of year is annoying. What Frank sees routinely up in the GWN will kill you in a few hours outside if you are not prepared. Here, with water and shade, you might be uncomfortable but you'll make it. After "fleeing" Illinois winters for Tucson in the Air Force, my blood thinned out and I love the weather here. I see some of your snow pile pictures or videos of Pauly up in "Driftland" and I wanna squeal like a schoolgirl. I cannot do cold anymore. My old job proved that.

In the morning it will be 86. I'll walk my dogs at 0430 and its gorgeous out. Look at that humidity indicator! Last night in Phoenix the weathercaster called it at 5%!!! Monsoons are a-comin' next week!

Attachments

car compulsive

Jun 25, 2015
MI
I spoke with my sister and brother-in-law in Sun City West yesterday and it was 113. They said church has new solar panels so the A/C was set so low that they froze. No golf or pool walking for them this week.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Wow. Last night was 10 degrees celcius. Went up to a comfortable 15 celcius today.
I wonder with 110 or so and such low humidity that fire danger would be something along the line of dont even drag your feet.

So last night we was sitting out on the deck,listening to what sounded like a bad electric motor with the bearings going out. Nope. Mosquitoes. Making a very loud buzz.must have been a billion of them hovering in the trees. Eerie sound. Ticks are bad this year as well as the forest tent caterpillars.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
Fro65 asked:
Have you seen a red guy with a pitchfork?
Not the big guy himself, but plenty of his minions running around.

Fro65- After attending the
"1st Annual OTT, PNW, BBQ and Kubota Games" 7/15/2017
we will be heading for Schererville. Small world.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Truth about heat and planes...

The takeoff and landing data is created by the aircraft manufacturer. In 1990, the last time it was 122, the charts stopped at 120 degrees. The engineers thought that was well above what anyone would see flying their equipment, especially in the US of A. That day, they had to get an engineer in to get the rest of the chart and fax it out to the airlines so now the chart goes to 125 or 130. Fact is, most airlines use computers now and it eats any number you throw at it.

The hotter it is, the less thrust the engines put out and the thinner the air is. Lower "push" and less lift limits your payload capacity.

American has already cancelled 20 flights tomorrow here in PHX during the peak heat.

Lil Foot

Lifetime Member

Equipment
May 19, 2011
Peoria, AZ
CaveCreekRay's area is about 1000' higher than most of the Phoenix area; doesn't seem like much, but it's enough to keep him a few degrees cooler, plus they've got some mountain terrain that help with some wind action.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
I remember a hughes helicopter that couldnt take off,with the cargo net it was trying to lift. About 10 of us got under it and gave the net a push so it could get some forward motion. It just cleared the treetops,pilot was ready to pickle the load. It was a hot day in a low area and no wind.

A few tines on some hot days when the choppers were leaving the yard on loaded patrols they had trouble clearing the 8 foot chain link fence. One flew out the gate. Im not there anymore,but it was a huge safety issue. They built a new fire center and the helicopters now have a larger safer open area to work out of.

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
You guys down there would laugh at what I call hot. I would probably go into shock stepping off a plane and feeling the first blast of that air.

Hated the cold when I was younger, but now it's just the opposite. Funny how that works.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Frank is right... We have a bunch of fires already burning around the state. Imagine fighting a fire in this heat!

A buddy was a former ARMY chopper pilot who also ferried copters and did movie flying. Once, while ferrying a machine into some island in the Caribbean, they had a gas bladder in the back to give them the extra fuel they needed to make the over water flight. The turbine engines could not lift the chopper straight off the ground. But, they were able to "drag" the skids and with only a few mph of forward speed (translational lift) they were able to get airborne.

Copter skids are a wear item and get swapped out many times over the life of the machine. In the AF, we used to watch the ARMY reserve unit do auto rotations onto the main runway. At dusk, it would shoot loads of sparks. They were going through skids like crazy until one day someone thought to do them into the grass along side of the runway. Much easier on the skids...

Daren Todd

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Massey Ferguson 1825E, Kubota Z121S, Box blade, Rotary Cutter
May 18, 2014
Vilonia, Arkansas
You guys down there would laugh at what I call hot. I would probably go into shock stepping off a plane and feeling the first blast of that air.

Hated the cold when I was younger, but now it's just the opposite. Funny how that works.
I've noticed as I get older, I don't handle the heat as well. I would rather be cold trying to warm up. At least you can throw another blanket on the bed, or wear more clothes. When it's hotter the hades outside, there isn't any relief.

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Here is the summer solstice pre-sunrise view to the east from my house. You can see high clouds and smoke from the Highline Fire, about 40 miles to the east.

Here is the fire, just outside Payson, AZ. It is one of eight or so fires already going. All are lightning caused, so far.

Attachments

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
58 F up here right now.

I did Phoenix for 21 years, yea the cold up here can get to be a bit much, but I like the fact that I can heat my house all winter for less than the cost of one month of cooling in Phoenix. ;)

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Pilot:
Welcome to Saigon National Airport.

Air temperature is 94 degrees
100 Percent humidity
Ground fire light to moderate

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
That is one thing I absolutely don't do well... humidity!

We'd fly from PHX to Houston or San Antonio and within seconds of the opening of the forward entry door, the humidity had found every nook and cranny in the plane. With a fully operational jet it was "manageable" but with an A/C pack out or no APU, it was brutal on the crew and the paying passengers. It took 15 minutes in the air to get rid of it... YUK.

At least nobody was shooting at us! :)

Mtmoriahfarm

Equipment
M8540,BX24,Takeuchi tb235
Feb 16, 2017
Rhode Island
I'm with the don't do heat well crowd. We had a few days in the 90's last week so I turned the ac on only to find out that the fan motor and condenser were shot. Had to wait a few days for the parts and wasn't liking that.

drj211

Equipment
L3301 w/525 FEL
Jun 19, 2017
Jacksonville, FL
I thought we had it bad with the high 90s and humidity in the 90% plus range. We do have the same problems with the wildfires this time of year.

I was in Phoenix in August 2015. It was about 114 at the time. I had to do some work on an airport tarmac for a couple of hours. The bottom of my boots actually got squishy as I walked around! That's rough.