Tire bulging out the side

ZipFunk

Equipment
2380, T1880
Sep 10, 2021
Canada
I noticed my front tire was bulging out the side wall.
It feels like the rubber is a bit thin there. The tires have never been over inflated.
Just wondering if I should trust it. I have a neighbour that says he has had this in the past and that the tire lasts quite a while. Just wanted to get a few more opinions from the forum here.
Thanks for your time.

Drew

Reactions: 1 user

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
Send a pic from a few angles and we’ll have a look.
Other than wearing the centers, (not crazy) overinflation normally doesn’t hurt tires… underinflation does.

ZipFunk

Equipment
2380, T1880
Sep 10, 2021
Canada
Other than wearing the centers, overinflation normally doesn’t hurt tires… underinflation does.
I'm sorry I thought I did post a photo. Not sure why it isnt here. I'll post again.
Smaller.jpg

ZipFunk

Equipment
2380, T1880
Sep 10, 2021
Canada
Other than wearing the centers, (not crazy) overinflation normally doesn’t hurt tires… underinflation does.
It was under inflated by about 6 lbs for a while until I noticed and pumped it to 21 lbs

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
Probably the sidewall is separating. What piece of equipment is it on? A tractor with loader could finish it off fairly quickly (as in a sharp turn with a lot of load on that axle).

It isn't like you are running it at highway speed in traffic but since it is going to need replacement sooner rather than later, I would do it rather than worry about when it was going to give up.

Rodger

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users

ZipFunk

Equipment
2380, T1880
Sep 10, 2021
Canada
Probably the sidewall is separating. What piece of equipment is it on? A tractor with loader could finish it off fairly quickly (as in a sharp turn with a lot of load on that axle).

It isn't like your are running it at highway speed in traffic but since it is going to need replacement sooner rather than later, I would do it rather than worry about when it was going to give up.

Rodger
I figured as much. Thanks Rodger. Its on a BX2380 so not a heavy weight machine but it does have a loader on it. I'll get a new one this month as opposed to having to change it in the winter.
Would this be caused by being under inflated?

Thanks again.

Pau7220

Equipment
L3650 GST, Landpride TL250 FEL w/ Piranha, 6' King Kutter, GM1084R Finish
Aug 1, 2017
Scranton, PA
That is definitely a broken cord in the sidewall. I wouldn't trust it for loader work. Mowing failure may cause an inconvenience. If it was a rear… replace immediately!

Edit: Yes very possibly caused by underinflation, especially if there was an impact when low on air.
(think pothole)

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
That is sidewall separation. Usually manifests as a bubble or bulge as your''s has.

The cause can be anything from a manufacturing defect (insufficient bond of materials) to bruising of the sidewall. Gross over or under inflation.

It will likely continue to grow over time. Depending on use.....it can last quite a long time before the tire fails. We don't know how you use your machine so I'd offer no opinion on how 'safe' it is (or isn't).

EDIT: OK you guys type faster than I do....and already have it covered. (y)

RBsingl

Equipment
Kubota F 2690 72" rear discharge deck, Deere 955
Jul 1, 2022
Central IL
I figured as much. Thanks Rodger. Its on a BX2380 so not a heavy weight machine but it does have a loader on it. I'll get a new one this month as opposed to having to change it in the winter.
Would this be caused by being under inflated?

Thanks again.
I have seen it happen to auto tires when they are parked for a period of time where the tire is sharply impacted like being on a tree root or against a curb. Under-inflation could be a factor but that is usually more likely with highway tires that build up heat from severe under-inflation.

It could very well have been a manufacturing defect resulting in a weak spot.

Rodger

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I doubt 6# under inflation would cause the side wall damage unless that tire is a 2 ply on a loader tractor.

I run the tires on my Polaris Ranger at least 6# under what some recommend. However, it's a light machine, no loader, and has 8 ply tires.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Replace that tire. Do not continue to use it… Not for ”economy reasons“ do I write this…but for safety reasons you may not be thinking of. If that tire bursts while you are near it… perhaps while your are measuring its’ pressure or only walking buy it…. it can cause serious injury (or death if it hits you in the head or eye.)

You will not get reliable use from it…and it will fail at the least convenient time …and leave you in the field, etc.

The tire does not appear to be very much used. The mfr‘r may even replace it as a mesure of “good will” or to retrieve it for investigation purposes…or offer you a deep discount on the replacment.

But I recommend you do NOT continue to use it.

Reactions: 2 users

bird dogger

Vendor Member

Equipment
Kubota B2650 and lots of other equipment
Feb 24, 2019
North Dakota
My neighbor had a similar situation. Front tire....one bulge, then two. Tractor out of warranty but tires still looked like new. They replaced his tire because of the factory defect. Don't remember the tire manufacturer, but his tractor was green.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
GeoHorn wrote:
Replace that tire. Do not continue to use it… Not for ”economy reasons“ do I write this…but for safety reasons you may not be thinking of. If that tire bursts while you are near it… perhaps while your are measuring its’ pressure or only walking buy it…. it can cause serious injury (or death if it hits you in the head or eye.)

Well....not to discount safety concerns but tire bulges at low pressures (20 psi or so) aren't exactly an atom bomb. They tend to just split and the resulting air loss is something less than spectacular.

You will not get reliable use from it…and it will fail at the least convenient time …and leave you in the field, etc.

This I agree with. Murphy's Law being what it is....dictates the time of failure will result in the maximum amount of inconvenience. This pretty much means while you are operating it, so by default you aren't going to be near the tire when it sets off that sonic boom. ;)

The tire does not appear to be very much used. The mfr‘r may even replace it as a mesure of “good will” or to retrieve it for investigation purposes…or offer you a deep discount on the replacment.

Sage advice. Very much worth a try. Manufacturing defects do occur and often happen in 'lots' so the manufacturer might want to know about it as well.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Well....not to discount safety concerns but tire bulges at low pressures (20 psi or so) aren't exactly an atom bomb. They tend to just split and the resulting air loss is something less than spectacular.
20 psi in a 5” circle equals 125 pounds of force! (5” circle is 6.25 sq in times 20 psi).

If you don’t think 125 pounds of force can kill you…. consider what 125 lbs of force can do to you when it propels a small chunk of tire or steel-belt or bead.

Last edited:

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
20 psi in a 5” circle equals 125 pounds of force! (5” circle is 6.25 sq in times 20 psi).

If you don’t think 125 pounds of force can kill you…. consider what 125 lbs of force can do to you when it propels a small chunk of tire or steel-belt or bead.
It doesn't propel a 'chunk' of anything. The tire SPLITS in the area where the rubber has exceeded its elastic limit. The area of separation is in the sidewall where the nylon casing is fused/bonded to the rubber compound NOT the bead or any steel belts.

You have imagined that a chunk will somehow dislodge itself (as if cored out) and become a potentially deadly projectile. Please stop. That is irresponsible fear mongering and hyperbole.

We are dealing with a small tractor tire inflated to a horrifying 20 psi.

Here is a real world example of what happens when a 'bulge' fails. I know you'll recoil when you see the guy purposely slit/puncture the actual bulge site. I mean what kind of fool would place himself in such a perilous position. Please take this opportunity to educate yourself on tire construction (passenger vehicle and tractor tires....the same). Perhaps then you'll understand why the danger you propose (at low inflation pressure and a tire that is not dry rotted) is such folly.

In no wise am I advocating we ever dispense with reasonable safety practices. I AM however calling out your notion that the OP's tire represents a physical hazard. The tire is a 'time bomb' (pun intended) only in the sense that it WILL fail at some unknown point. The failure WILL be unspectacular and manifest as nothing more than an audible 'whoosh'.

We live in a world with plenty of things to actually worry about. The OP's tractor tire is not one of them. Anyone believing otherwise probably needs to stay at home each day because you are venturing out into a world where REAL risk assessments are necessary.

Reactions: 4 users

torch

Equipment
B7100HSD, B2789, B2550, B4672, 48" cultivator, homemade FEL and Cab
Jun 10, 2016
Muskoka, Ont.
If that tire bursts while you are near it… perhaps while your are measuring its’ pressure or only walking buy it…. it can cause serious injury (or death if it hits you in the head or eye.)
A co-worker had this happen years ago. The entrained debris sandblasted the skin off his face. He looked like a raw steak.

(Safety glasses saved his sight)

MountainMeadows

Equipment
L2501, JD 655, Ford 841, JD 6x4 Gator, Gravely 432.
Jun 6, 2022
Poconos, PA
If that tire was on a vehicle and you took in in for warranty it would be considered a road hazard failure which would not be covered unless you had purchased a road hazard warranty when you bought the tire.

On a tractor it may be a different story but more or less it was most likely caused by an impact to the tire while in use.