Tips for removing Hyd filter.

MilkyWay

Dec 5, 2010
Dahlonega, GA
Glad to hear it - in some of those places, it is simply a nightmare to get any tool in place to apply that much torque to get the filter off.
I'm also glad to hear you succeeded. I will throw in a little tip that might come in handy for someone else. Slide a piece of discarded, or not discarded ratchet strap around a stubborn filter as close to the threaded end as possible, then using a long needle nose pliar or figure something else out to wrap up in the doubled-over strap so it pinches the snot out the filter as you twist strap with a 1/2" drive ratchet, or anything else you can fit in there, and it will twist it off. I have never failed using this method. I have never even had to put sand paper against the filter. My HD Dynawideglide oil filter is in a ridiculously tight spot and this is the only thing I have found that works. One of the gents (?) posted a hyperlink earlier to a filter wrench that uses the same principle but why buy when you can improvise?!

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
D2Cat's input is what I use -- one word of note: don't be surprised to find loads of silicon (from the factory) in these filters --- seen it many times with new stuff from Kubota.
I’ll bet you meant “silicone” such as found in gasket-making material, RTV, etc.
Silicon is dirt/sand.

(OK... stepping back down from my spelling-bee soapbox.) :)

Old_Paint

Lifetime Member

Equipment
LX2610SU, LA535 FEL w/54" bucket, LandPride BB1248, Woodland Mills WC-68
Dec 5, 2020
AL
On the buggies, because the oil filters mount vertically, I always poke a hole in the bottom and let them drain. less messy that way.
Now I like that idea. Seems my hydraulic filter on the LX2610SU is vertical. But seems I also read that changing the filter without draining the oil is usually a messy ordeal because the oil will drain freely from the filter mount.

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
I always used big channel locks

the hst filters were always tighter than a, nevermind....I always used a chisel or punch to jar the ring nut loose, once it moved a little it came right off.

MoCo

Equipment
L6060 Tractor, SVL65 CTL, KX033-4 Excavator
Feb 15, 2021
Ontario Canada
On the L6060 punching a hole through the HST filter is not an option during the first 50-hour service since all of the hydraulic fluid will drain out and that is a very costly error (not to mention your shop floor) .
The original HST filter was painted on with the frame and it's effectively glued on. And if you have a 3rd function kit with those additional hoses, they seem to run right below the HST filter. I did not have the upper body strength to get mine off. Called the mobile mechanic. He removed it and was able to quickly install the new one. We lost less than 10 liters of hydraulic fluid, which is to be expected. So make sure you have UDT fluid on hand before you remove the HST filter.

OlFerguson

Equipment
4440, 1120D
Jun 1, 2017
Canada
Channel locks never worked for me I just wrecked the filter. I ended on taking a flat screw driver and a lighter hammer and very carefully get it between the filter and where it’s flush with . Like I said be careful. It does work but takes a bit of practice .