Tilt trailer malfunction

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
M5140HD/LA1153/LandPride RCF2072/DirtDog disc/RakeMaster grapple/Caroni tiller
I recently purchased a sweet new M5140 w/fel, LandPride mower and Big Tex 14FT 20' gravity tilt trailer.

Trailer tows great, but has a problem with the hydraulics. When getting ready to load the tractor and releasing the lock levers, I have to walk to the back of the bed to lower it. That's not a problem. But, when you step off the trailer to get on the tractor and load it, the bed starts back up. Unless you jump on the tractor quickly, the bed is too high to pull onto it.

I'm new to tilts, but it seems to me the hydraulic cylinder should only cushion the movement and not push or pull it, just like a shock absorber on a vehicle.

Anyone have experience with these type trailers?

Last edited:

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH
I recently purchased a sweet new M5140 w/fel, LandPride mower and Big Tex 14FT 20' gravity tilt trailer.

Trailer tows great, but has a problem with the hydraulics. When getting ready to load the tractor and releasing the lock levers, I have to walk to the back of the bed to lower it. That's not a problem. But, when you step off the trailer to get on the tractor and load it, the bed starts back up. Unless you jump on the tractor quickly, the bed is too high to pull onto it.

I'm new to tilts, but it seems to me the hydraulic cylinder should only cushion the movement and not push or pull it, just like a shock absorber on a vehicle.

Anyone have experience with these type trailers?
Im assuming your speaking of it not staying tilted to the ground when mounted on your tow rig. When not mounted no issue. Just raise the front of the trailer higher.

Is there a down grade where your trying this? (ground at trailer wheels higher than ground at tilt end of trailer

According to the Big Tex website that hydraulic is more of a "Hydraulic Dampening System" Like opposit of a shock absorber........ it slows the decent instead of cushioning the uprise. But think that was what you meant. I'ld say contact them if none of the manuals on there website show any info on how to adjust the cylinder/drop distance. ( http://bigtextrailers.com/equipmenttilt-trailers/ under "support" ) If it is new sounds like it was set to a general/default hight and yours rig is a bit off from that. Used ? then it was set for previous owners tow rig.

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
coachgeo, yes the back of the trailer bed doesn't stay down when I'm trying to load the tractor.

The grade of the land is fairly flat where I was loading...shouldn't be enough slope to affect anything.

The hydraulic tube is dampening the rise and fall of the bed as it should, it just won't stay down in the load position. One thing I noticed yesterday was that there is a range during the rise and fall where there is very little dampening happening. I'm wondering if the dampening unit (hydraulic tube) is defective or maybe there is some adjustment? I've checked the manufacturer's site and other than a few general directions on loading and unloading, I've not found much.

I've looked at countless videos of tilt trailers and all show the back end of the bed staying down while waiting to load the tractor/car, etc.

Thanks for your comments,
Mark

I've emailed Big Tex, hopefully they can shed some light on this.

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Anything on front of deck-chains, spare or toolbox that would put it off balance?
Adding some kind of ballast to back end would keep it down.
Regardless of whats being loaded, deck should stay down.
Other than a flow control check valve what else would affect it?
Air in system?

Tallahassee Kubota Man

Equipment
Tooljunkie, nothing on the deck to affect the balance.
I can make it work a couple of different ways, but it's a new $5500 + trailer and should work right. I'll likely take it back to the dealer for repair.
That's what I was thinking, the valve in the hydraulic tube isn't working properly. There may be some air in it as well. There is a point in the up and down cycle where there is no resistance. To me that has to mean that there's a problem with the cylinder.