Throw out bearing holder/ clutch housing seal b7100

Dennis

Jul 28, 2010
Queensland Australia
Has anyone shared my joy in replacing this hard to get at seal in the driveline tunnel. I thought it was hard enough getting the old one out but it is proving even more awkward to replace it.

I have taken the clutch housing off in order to get better a better approach at the seal but still no luck. I have oiled and cleaned up the housing nicely.

Problem is you can't get a straight line to knock the seal in and it insists on twisting when you do start knocking it in.
The plastic of the seal itself actually protrudes out through the rear seal casing so it seems you need to get something round, hollow and flat against the perimeter seal casing in order to knock it in.

For this purpose,I have tried putting the old seal metal casing on top of the new seal and hitting it with the end of a piece of timber from the other end of the clutch housing tunnel (2 feet away) (from where you can get a straight line), but it goes in uneven every time.

It reminds me of trying to put a freeze (welch) plug in either from an angle or at a distance of two feet through the housing tunnel.

I'll try putting the new seal in the freezer tonite but if anyone has another idea it would, as always, be appreciated.

B7100

Equipment
B7100,B7100 with Backhoe and FEL, Goldoni Quad 20
Feb 11, 2010
Wales
It is difficult getting a seal in square at the best of times but what I have found is that lube can make things worse espesially when you can't tap it square.what happens is the one side starts so you tap around to on opposite side and the fist side pops back out again so try loosing the lube if that sounds like your problem .If I don't have time to turn a piece of metal to drive the seal in a socket can often be found to do the job provided there is no shaft sticking though it .
If the case of the seal is metal.try filing a small lead around the edge.
dave

Last edited: