Three point top link

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
I visited a friend yesterday who ones a B2301. He has a rotary cutter and a box blade. I noticed that the top link screw thread was bent at the end which connects to the box blade. Threads are damaged and obviously if he did straighten it it most likely would not thread into the coupler.
He seems to think it came that way.
So...anyone think a dealer would overlook this? I know that often the equipment is already attached on the lot so I can see it not being noticed. But how could it happen? Is it possible to raise the 3 point high enough to have the top link bend if it hits a folded ROPS? I know on my B2320 you just can't do it. I didn't see any damage on the ROPS but there is no damage on either of the 3 point attachments showing that he may have backed into something. That being said, can you back into something hard enough to bend the top link?
This machine is probably only a few months old and it shows hardly any wear.
I can't imagine a dealer letting this go out without checking it over, but I certainly don't see my friend causing this damage without knowing.
Any thoughts?

Tire Biter

Equipment
B 2601 434 loader MMM, bunch of tractor stuff . Ford 4600
Jul 10, 2012
S.E. TN
Could be he jammed it with the rotary brush cutter. I use a chain instead of a solid link due to I have some gnarly terrain in some areas I mow. I have it just slack enough that it will pick the whole mower up if I need to, but won’t jam the top link pin if it needs to ride up a rise in the terrain. I doubt it came that way new.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
The rotary cutter bent the top link.

It happens when the tractor crosses a dip or short low spot and the rear of the tractor is being supported by the top link which bends in compression.

The top link connection needs to be "floating," which is an option on some implements. Using a chain in lieu of a rigid top link is the simple fix as the chain can pull on the tractor but not push.

Dave

Missouribound

Equipment
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
The rotary cutter bent the top link.

It happens when the tractor crosses a dip or short low spot and the rear of the tractor is being supported by the top link which bends in compression.
Dave
That makes perfect sense. My mower has a floating link (landpride) that takes care of that movement. I guess I will break it to him....or the dealer will when he tries to get them to replace it.
I didn't see the cutter. Wouldn't it come with the swivel mount? I will be back there next week I will check out the equipment.

Last edited:

In Utopia

Equipment
L175 FEL
Apr 21, 2013
Utopia,Tx/Pasadena,TX
I shred some pretty rough areas. Never had a problem with the shredder, an old Bush Hog Squealer. It came with a chain running from the rear to near the top link. This allows it to float up quicker than the way newer shredders are built. Also added check chains to keep the deck at a constant level since old tractors are prone not to hold it for me.
I've been cutting a neighbors property using his large Deere with a 6' shredder. So far I've busted the rear wheel off 3 times and broken numerous bolts that hold a roller that is supposed to allow float up near the top link.

Attachments

BigG

Equipment
l2501, FEL, BB, Rotary cutter, rake,spreader, roller, etc. New Holland TL80 A
Sep 14, 2018
West Central,FL
Sometimes the implement has the feature but the setup uses the wrong hole for the size of tractor involved.

Dave
I am not disagreeing with you but could you explain in more detail what you mean by you statement. The picture would seam to work nicely at preventing the hog from dropping at the front end and the chain would allow the the flex in the top link to prevent damage.

Missouribound

Equipment
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
An update.
My friend brought the link to the dealer.
The manger quoted him a price to replace it.
My friend then explained that he noticed it right after delivery (which he did).
The manager then said OK, I will replace it N/C.

There was no argument, no finger pointing or discourteous behavior from the manager. (I bought my machine there as well a few years ago)

From some of the stories I have heard here I am one of the lucky ones to have found a dealer who actually gives a sh*t.

Reactions: 1 user

Freeheeler

Equipment
b2650 tlb
Aug 16, 2018
Knoxville, TN
Unrelated, but similar. I noticed that day after picking up mine that one of the horizontal grill guard slats was very noticeably bent. I hadn't hit anything or even used the FEL yet. There were no marks or scratches on any of the pristine paint. No stress fractures on the welds or in the slat. Must have just been unnoticed at the factory and made it thru inspection. I mentioned it to the dealer several months later after he asked if I was having any issues. He offered to take a look at it but there is no damage and it doesn't affect it's function in any way. I just tell anyone that mentions it that it's
"custom". So ... it is possible the top link just came that way as things do get missed. I'm glad they replaced it without question for him.

pauly

Equipment
2014 B2650, LA534A FEL,B2781B Snow Blower, Land Pride RCR 1260 Land Pride RB157
Sep 23, 2014
East Troy Wisconsin USA
Well........I bent my top link against the folded ROPS. So it is possible.
Did it on a B2650 while using a rear rough cut. Could not see where it came in contact with the ROPS but I was able to see how it happened.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
An update.
My friend brought the link to the dealer.
The manger quoted him a price to replace it.
My friend then explained that he noticed it right after delivery (which he did).
The manager then said OK, I will replace it N/C.

There was no argument, no finger pointing or discourteous behavior from the manager. (I bought my machine there as well a few years ago)

From some of the stories I have heard here I am one of the lucky ones to have found a dealer who actually gives a sh*t.
Kudos to his dealer. Not all dealers would have done that.

Still, you should probably explain to him how mowers, top links, and even tractors can be damaged by driving down into a depression.

Floating top link connections, as I have on all of my three point mounted mowers, have a limited amount of travel. Driving into a depression where the mower tail wheel pushes the mower beyond such travel limit results in a situation where something must deflect if the system is not strong enough to lift the rear wheels of the tractor.

The chain top link just about always works.

SDT

Missouribound

Equipment
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Kudos to his dealer. Not all dealers would have done that.
Still, you should probably explain to him how mowers, top links, and even tractors can be damaged by driving down into a depression.
SDT
I will talk to him. But to be honest with you I'm fairly new to tractors as well.
I just happened to notice it when I was working on another project for him.
I have only had my Kubota about 3 years now and still learning myself.
Hopefully he and I can go over the machine a bit one of these days soon.

But it's good advice and I thank you.
I may know a lot but I haven't closed the learning door just yet.

Scott2995

Equipment
B2650
Aug 3, 2020
Ohio and Kentucky
Well........I bent my top link against the folded ROPS. So it is possible.
Did it on a B2650 while using a rear rough cut. Could not see where it came in contact with the ROPS but I was able to see how it happened.
I just did the same thing. Replaced with TSC top link, but would like to know if the end with the bent thread can be replaced?

Generic TSC version screws out, but Kubota top link has some type of stop keeping it from coming out. There’s a screw in the housing, but removing it makes no difference. Any ideas?

ThomasH

Equipment
LX2610HSDC BH77
May 26, 2020
Cheney, WA
It’s very possible that it happened on delivery when backing the tractor off the trailer with the rotary cutter attached.

Reactions: 1 users