Third function pressure relief

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I've read another post on this but need a bit of clarity for relieving pressure on third valve when disconnecting valves.

Tractor is L4060 with LA805 loader, the third function is a true third function, not a diverter valve. My understanding of the procedure is as follows, but I have some questions:

1 Before shutting off the tractor raise the grapple off the ground (is it necessary to raise the grapple or can the procedure be done with grapple sitting on the ground?)

2 Shut the tractor off and then turn the key back to the on position ( do not start).

3. Press the button that controls the grapple and they will slowly close releasing the pressure. (does this mean turning on the third function button and toggling back and forth on the switch that opens/closes the grapple?)

4. Put the ignition back to off position and you should be able to disconnect and reconnect the hoses without having to loosen the hose connection.

Fido Farms

Equipment
L3901, 35 Massey, Summit X 146, Polaris 700 RMK, Yamaha Viking
May 27, 2018
Canada
I have the la525 bucket and third function. Should be able to set grapple on the ground and shut off tractor. On my third hydraulic it does not require the key to power up but yours maybe different and need the key to power it. Then just toggle (hold each button for a few seconds or what ever is need to relief pressure) the switches as they say to get the grapple in resting position. If by chance u get one hose uncoupled but the other is still has some pressure just re toggle the controller.

rjcorazza

Equipment
L4060 HSTC Loader, ZD326, ZD1211
Mar 9, 2016
Hyattstown, MD
Also, as far as #3 in your post there is no reason to start with the grapple open and have gravity close it while operating the toggle. Close the grapple first and hitting the toggle briefly both ways will relieve the pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I have the la525 bucket and third function. Should be able to set grapple on the ground and shut off tractor. On my third hydraulic it does not require the key to power up but yours maybe different and need the key to power it. Then just toggle (hold each button for a few seconds or what ever is need to relief pressure) the switches as they say to get the grapple in resting position. If by chance u get one hose uncoupled but the other is still has some pressure just re toggle the controller.
Wondering if the type of loader makes a difference or if the procedure should be the same on all machines with the same third valve...

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
Also, as far as #3 in your post there is no reason to start with the grapple open and have gravity close it while operating the toggle. Close the grapple first and hitting the toggle briefly both ways will relieve the pressure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Thanks, getting it delivered Friday so I'll be sure to ask them to go over the procedure.

nuctrooper

Jan 29, 2019
Greater Seattle Area
My observation with connecting and disconnecting mine - hanging it in the air and relieving the pressure with it hanging works great to disconnect the hoses. BUT... when you then go and set it down to remove it, it likely is not going to sit down on the ground with the jaws at the exact same opening. Thus, you will create pressure in the lines (the ones on the grapple itself) and make it difficult to hook back up.
For mine, i set it on the ground fully opened (curled forward/down, like I'm picking a log off the ground). Engine off, release all hydraulic pressure with the quad lever and the electric third function valve. Then, the grapple and FEL are at a zero energy state, will not move, and will not create any pressure in the hydraulic system due to movement. It is a little different angle to pick it back up, having to curl way down to stab the quick disconnect channels, but do it once and you won't worry about it again.
This is with a 60" EA wicked grapple, which sits open and face down pretty well. Same principle should work for other grapples that need to sit flat on their base - get the implement and FEL to a zero energy state. No pressure in any cylinder, stable in a location you can remove the implement. If there is ANY movement after you disconnect the hydraulics you risk wrestling pressurized hydraulics, leaking fluid all over your gloves, and cursing the quick connects.

Tommieboy

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario
I've had a chance to play around with it now for a few hours. I find that setting it down on my pallet, shutting down the tractor, turning tractor back on (not turning over engine), turning on third function button and then toggling back and forth of the open/close buttons does the trick. Easy to take hoses off and easy to put back on.