Thinking of purchasing B1550 DT- No previous tractor experienced-Help needed

dpm2384

Mar 15, 2017
Factoryville, PA
Hello all. I'm very glad I found this forum and appreciate any help and advice that can be offered. I have been considering purchasing a small work tractor for the past few months mainly to use for snow removal at my current home and for more overall yard maintenence when my wife and I eventually move. We are looking to purchase between a 1-3 acre parcel of land with our next home.

I have 0 experience with any kind of tractor outside your basic riding mower. I have found a B1550 DT with a cab, loader and a 60" mower deck at my local Kubota dealer. It has 1521 hours and is listed in fair condition. Asking price is $5500.00. Were these good tractors? Any major items or issues I should ask about? Any idea how this tractor would be at plowing my driveway here in Northeastern Pennsylvania? Here is a pic of the tractor

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

JosephC

Equipment
2008 BX2660, 2005 ZD21,2000 B2400, 1995 B7200,2005 B7800
Apr 20, 2011
North Central Pennsylvania
I have owned a B1550 HST/with a 54" caster deck. In the picture that have on your post looks like it has a caster deck on the tractor. But the one thing that I see is that it has turf tires on the back and mine had the half breed tires on back for added extra traction. I ran my 1550 till I had about 2400 hours then it was traded in for a B2400 HST with 54"deck. I lke the caster decks as you set your mowing height with the caster wheels on each corner of the deck and it follows the ground contour and mows real nice. I never had any issue with my B1550 other than a little low on horsepower when I used my 48" woods brushhog.If it would be me and I had the money to buy I would buy it because the hours on it are low and it looks in good shape. Thank you

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The price is good for a little tractor with a cab, loader, and a mower deck.

But I would never consider a small non shuttle shift DT (geared) tractor a good loader tractor, it's going to be very slow and not a lot of lift or haul capacity.

That little dude would be far better off with a snow blower and/or a blade on the front for snow work.

alchemysa

Equipment
B1550, backhoe, 4in1 bucket, rear mower.
Jul 1, 2010
Australia
They are an excellent tractor. Solid, simple, reliable. I have one with hydro transmission and turfs. (I have no experience with a DT). With turfs you may need some rear weight to give extra traction for loading but that can be cheaply arranged. 1521 is low hours for a late 80's tractor.

Idaho is right about the transmission. The HST is far more enjoyable if you are going to be doing lots of forward/backward maneuvering. I dont know about the price. Maybe its a little steep. I sure wouldn't rush into it.

hodge

Lifetime Member

Equipment
John Deere 790 John Deere 310 backhoe Bobcat 743
Nov 19, 2010
Love, VA
I think that the price is fair, given that it has a loader.
It would be a good starter tractor, a place to cut your teeth. It will get the job done, even if it isn't as quick or as simple as a hydro. Perfect? No. Adequate? Yep.

Many here started with adequate, learned and experienced, then improved. I will always remember, warmly, that first "adequate" tractor.

dpm2384

Mar 15, 2017
Factoryville, PA
Thank you all for the advice. Greatly appreciated. I called today to get more info and after a conversation have decided it against it. I was informed the owner who traded it used it mainly to run a log splitter and installed an aftermarket hydraulic vavle piped off the loader valve to do so. Because of this the loader has separate controls for up/down and curling making the use of the loader very inconvenient. Again I don't know much at all about tractors yet but this seemed like a big red flag for me so I have decided to keep looking for something else.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk