Things you'd never seen

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
My plates are not undersized they are as large or larger than spec called for.
And calling them chipboard plates just proves you have no clue what your talking about.

North Idaho does not have structural building codes, but still my home meets or exceeds building codes in every aspect.
You do not need " Stamped/approved truss plates meet nationwide codes."
You need stamped and approved truss plans to meet nationwide codes.

Arc fault breakers are fine and dandy if you have a properly wired home.
They do not work well on old wiring that already has issues, or on a home that has poor wiring or panels.

Reactions: 1 user

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
In a North Idaho snow load environment, those "trusses" are a very bad idea!
Design may(?) be OK, but connectors are UNSAFE!
Perhaps..... OK in Tucson?
Don’t get your pantys in a wad Fried. We built many pole barns and much of the time we built our own trusses. All of those barns are over 25 years old and some are approaching 60, and that’s in a heavy snow load area of upper New England. You just have to be smarter than the wood you use and know how to build them. It’s not rocket science.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
My plates are not undersized they are as large or larger than spec called for.
And calling them chipboard plates just proves you have no clue what your talking about.

North Idaho does not have structural building codes, but still my home meets or exceeds building codes in every aspect.
You do not need " Stamped/approved truss plates meet nationwide codes."
You need stamped and approved truss plans to meet nationwide codes.

Arc fault breakers are fine and dandy if you have a properly wired home.
They do not work well on old wiring that already has issues, or on a home that has poor wiring or panels.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
What's wrapped around your front tires? Was it to keep from scuffing the concrete or chewing up grass in tight turns? BTW, nice counter weight.
Yes I made a quick pair of scuff resistant tires with a roll of duct tape. ;)
I didn't want to have the house and garage floors covered in 100's of tire tracks. 😁

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
One thing to note:
There was a huge amount of the first versions of arc fault breakers that false tripped on everything.
And that really soured the user on them.
I dealt with the same kinds of issues with GFI's way back when.

All tech tends to have "first version issues"

Idaho electrical code has us only using Arc Faults in sleeping rooms or and circuit used in sleeping room.
Well that got a little tricky as I have multiple circuits interior and exterior that needed protection.

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
One thing to note:
There was a huge amount of the first versions of arc fault breakers that false tripped on everything.
And that really soured the user on them.
I dealt with the same kinds of issues with GFI's way back when.

All tech tends to have "first version issues"

Idaho electrical code has us only using Arc Faults in sleeping rooms or and circuit used in sleeping room.
Well that got a little tricky as I have multiple circuits interior and exterior that needed protection.
I have great difficulty understanding how an arc fault breaker that feeds the bedroom helps protect a person from a fire that starts in another part of the house that doesn’t have arc fault breaker protection.

I think the authorities that make the decisions would probably save more lives if they mandated multiple smoke detectors throughout the house, all of which are interconnected wirelessly so if one activates they all activate. My battery operated smoke detectors function like that.

GFCI protection is better than sliced bread. It actually has a great possibility of saving someone’s life. I’m 100% in favor of GFCI. Even accepting they do trip randomly sometimes.

Wolfman, did you measure the thickness of those plates you put on the side of your trusses that fried1765 has been questioning? Perhaps there is a weakness in your defense! ROFLMAO….

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
I have great difficulty understanding how an arc fault breaker that feeds the bedroom helps protect a person from a fire that starts in another part of the house that doesn’t have arc fault breaker protection.

I think the authorities that make the decisions would probably save more lives if they mandated multiple smoke detectors throughout the house, all of which are interconnected wirelessly so if one activates they all activate. My battery operated smoke detectors function like that.

GFCI protection is better than sliced bread. It actually has a great possibility of saving someone’s life. I’m 100% in favor of GFCI. Even accepting they do trip randomly sometimes.

Wolfman, did you measure the thickness of those plates you put on the side of your trusses that fried1765 has been questioning? Perhaps there is a weakness in your defense! ROFLMAO….
Henro, the beer is interfering with your thought process. Smoke detectors as you described have been mandated for decades in the building codes across the USA.
It isn't the thickness of the plates that Fried was questioning, it was the use of OSB in place of thick plywood. It is all in the engineering of the trusses. The art of truss building goes back decades and what was once thought to be correct has been questioned when it has failed. I am not going to get into the weeds on this discussion.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID

I can't say I don't disagree with your thinking that all rooms / circuits should be protected.
But Idaho state doesn't think so, and that's who I have to answer to.

Now some real insight to our home build, all of the walls are insulated with fire proof insulation, and all of the penetrations are fire foamed.
Any and all outlets, light switch or electrical boxes and speaker boxes is fire foam sealed.
All of the attic is 24" of fire proof insulation.
The exterior is Cement board siding or will be, don't have it all done yet.
The roof is steel for weather and fire protection.
Every room besides the bathrooms have smoke or smoke and carbon monoxide detectors that are battery back up and inter connected.
The attic and garage have heat sensors that are tied into the smoke circuit too.
There is very little combustible materials used.

We live in the wood/ trees with thousands and thousands of acres all around us of potential wildfire, so we went above and beyond.

I wanted a sprinkler system but the parts for the system alone where more than we could afford.
And to our shock, would have raised or insurance rates because of the potential damage they can cause.