TG1860 -Battery Indicator Not Coming On

massey12h

Sep 3, 2019
Ont Canada
Alternator is a Denso. Everything is wired correctly with IG terminal going to one side of light and L terminal going to other side of light. I know lamp is Ok since I can ground the L terminal wire and light comes on. I have used an ammeter to test for charging and shows current. My question is what should I read from L terminal on a alternator. I have checked for voltage there is nothing. I have put an ammeter between terminal and wire going to light and nothing. Thanks.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
13.6 - 13.8 volts
It is charging.

From looking at the wiring diagram, the white wire is the ground side of the indicator light.

When the key is turned on with the engine off, the charge light will receive + battery voltage from the key switch. The bulb will illuminate by having a ground path thru the alternator's internal voltage regulator. As the engine starts and the alternator starts producing power, terminal L should start having a + battery like voltage and in this way the indicator bulb now has + power on both of its terminals and will go out.

I have attached two pages from the WSM dealing with the removal and testing of the internal regulator and rectifier.

Before starting any further work now that you have shown that the battery is being charged, can you provide more history on the origins of the light problem. Perhaps you already did but I cannot go back to the first page of the thread without loosing what I have typed.

My inclination is to replace the regulator but you can also do the simple test to see what it reveals. Make certain you do the test with a simple, non auto ranging meter.

Dave

Attachments

massey12h

Sep 3, 2019
Ont Canada
Thanks for getting back to me Dave. I agree the white wire is a ground as I can take it and touch ground and the light will come on, that is how I decided the light and wires where Ok, but if I connect to alternator nothing happens. A little history is I just purchased this from a dealer about 2 months ago. It came with the white wire just hanging loose and and another wire connected to L terminal of alternator and I have no idea where that wire goes. It also came with a push start button instead of using key. I have got that figured out and working but have no idea why they did that. I quess I will have to look into alternator a little more now that you have shown me that it can be taken a part by drawing. Where did you get WSM manual and do you know anything about purchasing manual from Emanual online

I see you are from Williamstown Ontario. I am located north of Toronto near Barrie Ontario.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Thanks for getting back to me Dave. I agree the white wire is a ground as I can take it and touch ground and the light will come on, that is how I decided the light and wires where Ok, but if I connect to alternator nothing happens. A little history is I just purchased this from a dealer about 2 months ago. It came with the white wire just hanging loose and and another wire connected to L terminal of alternator and I have no idea where that wire goes. It also came with a push start button instead of using key. I have got that figured out and working but have no idea why they did that. I quess I will have to look into alternator a little more now that you have shown me that it can be taken a part by drawing. Where did you get WSM manual and do you know anything about purchasing manual from Emanual online

I see you are from Williamstown Ontario. I am located north of Toronto near Barrie Ontario.
Check your private messages

Dave