Testing safety switches

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
What's the best way to test or eliminate safety switches for a "no start" problem? I don't have an voltmeter but could probably borrow one after the weekend. Would bypassing them be a plausible way to eliminate them as the problem? Would using a piece of wire to jump between the weird connected to the switches work or is resistance needed? My problem is: B2320 HST has electrical power & everything works but the starter doesn't turn. This is what makes me want to eliminate the safety switches first. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my XT1080

lsmurphy

Equipment
B7001
Oct 19, 2012
Parrrottsville TN
Without knowing your machine, I can tell you that the switches loop to a relay, cut the two wires and connect them to each other.

I too have no tolerance for mindlessness.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
A $5 test light goes a long way with problems like this!;)

Mike_B

Equipment
B2320 w/MMM & FEL, & a bunch of Stihl power equipment. Lincoln SA250 for repairs
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
I don't have much knowledge of electrical stuff. I finally got my googlefu tuned in last night & found more info strung about the internet. I will be starting work on it in a little while.

Sent from my XT1080

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
you can make a temporary jumper wire with a short piece of wire (any gauge will work) and a couple crimp on male spade ends. If you want to see what its looks like i will lift my seat and take a picture, my seat switch is in permanent test mode.
unplug your wire and plug in your tester loop and if it starts you found your prob.
Any cheap ohm meter or continuity tester will also work (there less than $10 at walmart or HF). set the meter to ohms or preferably continuity and touch the tips together the reading on the meter with the tips together is the same reading you want when you stick the test probes into the safety switch and press in its button. All you need to know is if its completing the curcit.

Attachments

Last edited:

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
What's the best way to test or eliminate safety switches for a "no start" problem? I don't have an voltmeter but could probably borrow one after the weekend. Would bypassing them be a plausible way to eliminate them as the problem? Would using a piece of wire to jump between the weird connected to the switches work or is resistance needed? My problem is: B2320 HST has electrical power & everything works but the starter doesn't turn. This is what makes me want to eliminate the safety switches first. Any help would be appreciated.

Sent from my XT1080
It could be as simple as one of you levers or pedals is not centered, wiggle everything to make sure there where they need to be to start. Just a little off and one of the safety's could be activated.

Mike_B

Equipment
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
I found the gremlin! I was going to check the slow blow fuse at the starter. The one wire on the starter solenoid with a spade connector just popped off. Pushed it back on & it completed the electrical loop. Shut the tractor off & crimped it to tighten it up for a better connection. Problem solved! Thank all of you for your help. For good measure I guess buying a ohm meter is in order.

Sent from my XT1080

Last edited:

Mike_B

Equipment
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
you can make a temporary jumper wire with a short piece of wire (any gauge will work) and a couple crimp on male spade ends. If you want to see what its looks like i will lift my seat and take a picture, my seat switch is in permanent test mode.

The only reason my seat doesn't get out into permanent test mode is my 14 year old son cuts grass for me sometimes. I would rather have to be annoyed occasionally than think of the safeties not cutting the tractor power if something went sideways with him on the seat.

Sent from my XT1080

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Mike a question,,, How do you get a 14 year old to cut grass?:rolleyes:

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
14 year olds are easier to get to mow than 16 year olds with a license.

Mike_B

Equipment
Oct 27, 2012
the Dusty South
Mike a question,,, How do you get a 14 year old to cut grass?:rolleyes:
Actually, I called his bluff. He said he would cut a 5 acre field if he had his granddad's lawnmower. I pointed to the tractor & said use that! He said if you show me how to work it, I'll do it. Wide open field, cruise control & headphones; it ain't a bad job to do. Plus I paid him.

Sent from my XT1080

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA

The only reason my seat doesn't get out into permanent test mode is my 14 year old son cuts grass for me sometimes. I would rather have to be annoyed occasionally than think of the safeties not cutting the tractor power if something went sideways with him on the seat.

Sent from my XT1080
in that situation i totally agree. theres a time and place for everything.