Temp gauge showing hot

CharlesH

Equipment
ZD221
Jun 24, 2022
Birmingham, AL
New to this forum, any thoughts would be appreciated. Bought a 2014 ZD221 last Fall and just now putting to heavier use. My temp gauge occasionally drops over to full red, but the engine doesn't seem to be hot. The dealer tightened the belt and I installed a new temp sensor, but still on occasion, not always , drops over to hot. I'm reasonably certain the engine is not hot, thinking the gauge?

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
Welcome to the forum.

First thing is to see IF THE GAUGE or the sending unit is "off"

I highly suggest you buy one of these:

1656114265894.png

tell you more about what is HOT and what is NOT !!!!

then evaluate what to do next!

I take it your radiator is very clean?

Reactions: 4 users

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
You do not want to be operating your machine with the symptoms you report.
Take the time to determine if you have a real temp issue or a failing gauge or sensor.
I have attached to key pages from the WSM.
If you do not have a multi meter let us know.
If you do not understand the tests ask.
85Hokie's suggestion is an excellent first step.
Engines low on coolant often do not report accurate temps on the gauge and yet are very vulnerable to damage which essentially turns your machine into junk.
forum ZD221 temp.jpg

forum ZD221 temp 2.jpg

Dave

CharlesH

Equipment
ZD221
Jun 24, 2022
Birmingham, AL
Thanks 85Hokie, ill pick up a infrared thermometer to be on safe side. I was a little concerned when I first saw and took back to the dealer, he shot the engine with his infrared and the engine was clearly cool. His guess was the belt seemed possibly loose and tightened. Yeah I keep that radiator clean and clear after every use. I feel reasonably comfortable the engine is safe, just a little unnerving to see the needle on red. Easiest fix seemed to be a new water temp sensor, put it on today and still got a needle in the red...but not all the time.

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
The dealer tightened the belt

That's a knee-jerk reaction from someone who has no clue. Not charging? Tighten the belt! Not cooling? Tighten the belt!

It's probably over-tight now and putting unnecessary side loading on your pulley, which will produce premature failure.

And it didn't do a bit of good, did it? (It usually doesn't.)

Reactions: 1 user

CharlesH

Equipment
ZD221
Jun 24, 2022
Birmingham, AL
That's a knee-jerk reaction from someone who has no clue. Not charging? Tighten the belt! Not cooling? Tighten the belt!

It's probably over-tight now and putting unnecessary side loading on your pulley, which will produce premature failure.

And it didn't do a bit of good, did it? (It usually doesn't.)
Thanks Mark, I'm headed to the farm shortly and spend some time checking a few things today. I've got a couple of tractors, a little John Deere 318, blowers, chain saws and bunch of motors, I've had to learn a few things along the way, but a long way from proficient with electronic issues. Bought this one, 2014 with 420 hours, trying to learn some characteristics of Kubota, no real issues, just don't like something beating me.
Always good to learn from others.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
New to this forum, any thoughts would be appreciated. Bought a 2014 ZD221 last Fall and just now putting to heavier use. My temp gauge occasionally drops over to full red, but the engine doesn't seem to be hot. The dealer tightened the belt and I installed a new temp sensor, but still on occasion, not always , drops over to hot. I'm reasonably certain the engine is not hot, thinking the gauge?
I had a similar condition happening to my B7500 when I purchased it used a few years back. It turned out to be a corroded ground connection between the back of the instrument cluster and the wiring harness.

Flintknapper

Premium Member

Equipment
L2350DT
May 3, 2022
Deep East Texas
just a little unnerving to see the needle on red.
Is it possible to replace the gauge with an analog type? I've never really understood why a temp gauge would have 'windows' of operating temperature on a gauge. What does that 'area' on the gauge actually convey?

With an analog you know what the temperature is and IF that temperature is of any concern.

I installed one on my L2350DT.

Install9.jpg

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Always good to learn from others.

Yeah, just not that dealer! ;)

We're here to help! One of the great things about forums like this is that you get a diversity of knowledge. Some folks can rebuild an alternator blindfolded, some know electricity well in a general way (me), some know transmissions inside and out (not me!) some know hydraulics.

We can pool our knowledge (and sometimes our ignorance!) and all come out ahead.

JimmyJazz

Equipment
B2601
Aug 8, 2020
Pittsburgh, Pa
I had the same issue and bought the infrared thermometer as was recommended here and found that the sending unit was not functioning properly. This is a not an uncommon problem I learned. An inexpensive and easy fix. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 users

CharlesH

Equipment
ZD221
Jun 24, 2022
Birmingham, AL
Against my better judgement I ran for a couple hours yesterday, still wants to move into the red. I touched the radiator cap and was cool, my gut which is not scientific I know, tells me kubotasam and flintknapper are on to something.
Sounds obvious but Is there any correlation to heat and stress on engine. I did notice the temp seemed to rise as I raised the rpm's. I like the idea of the analog gauge, ill see what I can find to fit and ill clean the connectors.
I did install the new temp sensor, the $15 one, not the $70 Kubota one since I wasn't absolutley sure that was it. Chances of a faulty sensor or Kubota is unique?
Thanks all.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
re: windowed gauges show an acceptable range of temperatures. Say 'OK' can be 160-190*f, the band will be 'green'.

re: sensor + gauge. They have to be 'matched'. You can't just install any sensor and assume the gauge will read the correct temperature. Also battery voltage plays a part in this. Unless the voltage is constant(say 12.5 v) the reading will not be accurate. How 'off' depends on sensor, gauge, voltage and 'whatever' (computer ?) is in the loop. Cars used to have a voltage regulator to supply 10 volts to the gauges to provide accurate readings.

CharlesH

Equipment
ZD221
Jun 24, 2022
Birmingham, AL
re: windowed gauges show an acceptable range of temperatures. Say 'OK' can be 160-190*f, the band will be 'green'.

re: sensor + gauge. They have to be 'matched'. You can't just install any sensor and assume the gauge will read the correct temperature. Also battery voltage plays a part in this. Unless the voltage is constant(say 12.5 v) the reading will not be accurate. How 'off' depends on sensor, gauge, voltage and 'whatever' (computer ?) is in the loop. Cars used to have a voltage regulator to supply 10 volts to the gauges to provide accurate readings.
I think your on to something. I've got a volt meter, the necessity to learn all the settings never has come up. I think it just came up. Don't mind buying original whatever parts if I just knew that was the prob!em. I need to circle back to Dave's suggestions.
Thanks again, I'm not a mechanic, The Lord just gave me a decent amount of common sense and a lot of weekend fixin.

Reactions: 1 user

CharlesH

Equipment
ZD221
Jun 24, 2022
Birmingham, AL
Ran for about 4 hours today and the temp gauge never went over half way. I did notice I needed to add some hydraulic fluid, wondering is there any correlation between low hydraulic fluid and engine temperature?

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Ran for about 4 hours today and the temp gauge never went over half way. I did notice I needed to add some hydraulic fluid, wondering is there any correlation between low hydraulic fluid and engine temperature?
Charles - unless really low, should not be a correlation between hydraulic fluid level and engine temperature.