Tachometer seems to run too fast

gwtx

Sep 26, 2016
NEAR Goliad, TX
My newest tractor was a 1985 model, before I bought the Kubota. The tach was mechanical and as I understand was calibrated to indicate run time at operating rpm, 2150 or so. The tach on my Kubota seems to indicate minute for minute (like a clock) any time the engine is running,,,even at idle. I've had the tractor 3 months and it shows about 56 hrs., and I haven't used it much. I use it more in the summer months. I did let it idle some while I was rigging some accessories, but not that much.
I've had the older tractor about 24 yrs and it only has 2600 hrs on it ,and it had 1100 or 1200 on it when I got it. Primary use is mowing, and utility. So I average 50 to 75 hrs per year,,approx.
I haven't tested it against a clock at idle to see the results, but I will tomorrow.
So, how do the new electronic tachs work? Thanks, Gary

P.S. The tractor is a M7060HDC, bought new Dec. 28, 2016

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Key on time is run time = hours, either idling or running full out. ;)

JeffL

Equipment
B7200E, B4200DT
Jan 8, 2016
North Central Ar.
Observations and opinions:
I think the mechanical tachs of the older tractors are better at recording wear on the machine verses the newer electric that record key on time. I have one of each and I am easy on them with warm up and cool down time. Start once a month weather they need it or not. The electric is growing hours two times faster than the mechanical.
I also think this is why there are so many older tractors with low hours!
Jeff

gwtx

Sep 26, 2016
NEAR Goliad, TX
Thanks for the replies. I was pretty sure that was the case, but wanted to check with you folks. It also helps to run the warranty out quicker on tractors that are used a lot. Not a worry for me, just curious. Gary