Super shi**y

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
L5460, BH92, RCR1872, FDR2572.RTVX1100c
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Started this morning wanting to run a new wire for an hvac unit I just installed. That turned into a issue because the guys who installed the new hvac unit in the house before we bought it took up the only way to the crawl space with access to the electric panel I need to get to. So I said screw it I need to cut the duct so I’ll put it off until I get a coupling. I’ve had a wet spot in my yard and decided to investigate, we are on city sewer so I figured it was just a busted pipe and I’d dig it up and repair it. Found a pipe underground with a shovel and it appeared full of water and was actually broken. So I see some more dented areas in the lawn and decide to grab the backhoe and fix the rest of the broken parts. Well that’s when the day turned to shit, literally. Turns out the other parts were a leach field and the pipe that was broken isn’t doing anything, maybe an old pipe. Found the septic tank by accident, luckily didn’t damage it but broke a leach field perf pipe. Went to find the other end and there isn’t one it must of stopped right where I broke it, it appeared spliced and a clean break so I couldn’t take that for an answer until I dug enough to say there is actually not another end to connect to. I took tomorrow off to try to get everything sorted out but the really crappy thing is when we bought the house 3 years ago it was listed as city water and sewer. Never even thought there was a remote chance we were in a septic. Anyways wanted to vent now I’m just rambling. Here’s a photo of the disaster as it sits. Going to try to get it sorted out tomorrow hopefully.

Attachments

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Are you sure it wasn’t septic that was abandoned when the city provided service. You may be finding things that were just left in place and are not in use now- HOPEFULLY.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
I'd contact the city to see if they can confirm what you were told when you purchased the home. Hopefully it's as Russell mentioned, old and abandoned.

Missouribound

Equipment
B2320, FEL, BOX BLADE, FINISH MOWER, QUICK HITCH
Jun 17, 2014
Missouri
Just to chime in I suspect Russell is dead on. Do your due diligence in investigating first whether it be the realtor, the village you live in or whatever. Older farm sites had drain tiles that had nothing to do with septic.
Zoning and planning will have the information to help you. If you are in a new subdivision that was in an older neighborhood then you may have run aground some abandoned pipes. The builder should have taken care of that way before construction started. At any rate you have a lot of recourse if the fecal matter hits the oscillator

Last edited:

res

Equipment
L3301HST, 7' back blade
Oct 25, 2014
Cadillac, Mi
I don't know South Carolina real-state law but in Michigan, we have to sign a disclosure statement and NOT telling you there was a tank on the property is a violation and grounds for legal recourse if needed. ANY buried tank, septic, fuel oil, water, what ever must be disclosed here before sale.

BAP

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 Kubota 2920, 60MMM, FEL, BH65 48" Bush Hog, 60"Backblade, B2782B Snowblower
Dec 31, 2012
New Hampshire
I don't know South Carolina real-state law but in Michigan, we have to sign a disclosure statement and NOT telling you there was a tank on the property is a violation and grounds for legal recourse if needed. ANY buried tank, septic, fuel oil, water, what ever must be disclosed here before sale.
Same here, you have to disclose all those things in the transfer. They are legal documents that can be enforced back to if the seller fails to disclose something they know.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Well I checked into dept of water and sewer. We don’t have a line up to the house. I had to replace leach field line temporarily because it looks to be collapsed in 1 part of the yard and when I reconnected the other 2 lines they were breaking apart in my hands. Had the tank pumped this afternoon and have to replace the t that keeps the solids from going out to the leach field and they found a break in the line going from the house to the tank so now I have to rip up a cement walkway to get under it. This disaster is good and bad. It’s good that this happened before it backed up in the house which with the level of the tank and condition of the leach field was going to happen sooner than later. Bad in the sense it’s going to be a lot of time and money to repair, one good thing is the poop sucker guys said the tank is good to go. My fiancé is looking into the reality, listing and possible recourse. I did call the old owner before us and he swears he had no idea when he bought the house it had one and the owner before him didn’t telll him it did. He is a stand up guy and disabled war veteran, I do believe he didn’t know but when it’s listed as such it definitely should be what it says. My focus right now is being able to use the bathrooms without worry so my blinders are on until then.

Cathy Liebchen

Equipment
KUBOTA L3901, MX5800, MULE PRO FX, MULE PRO FXT
Well I checked into dept of water and sewer. We don’t have a line up to the house. I had to replace leach field line temporarily because it looks to be collapsed in 1 part of the yard and when I reconnected the other 2 lines they were breaking apart in my hands. Had the tank pumped this afternoon and have to replace the t that keeps the solids from going out to the leach field and they found a break in the line going from the house to the tank so now I have to rip up a cement walkway to get under it. This disaster is good and bad. It’s good that this happened before it backed up in the house which with the level of the tank and condition of the leach field was going to happen sooner than later. Bad in the sense it’s going to be a lot of time and money to repair, one good thing is the poop sucker guys said the tank is good to go. My fiancé is looking into the reality, listing and possible recourse. I did call the old owner before us and he swears he had no idea when he bought the house it had one and the owner before him didn’t telll him it did. He is a stand up guy and disabled war veteran, I do believe he didn’t know but when it’s listed as such it definitely should be what it says. My focus right now is being able to use the bathrooms without worry so my blinders are on until then.
. Septic field replacement is very expensive. Here it has to be RE-permitted and the govt loves to make you move them from the existing location. It’s not unusual for folks in towns to have no idea whether they are on sewer or septic

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
Can you do the work yourself, or you required to hire a certified by the county contractor?

Before you get started with the leach field, look up "septic lateral chambers" and get an idea of what is available now as compared to what you have buried. Better products, easier to install, quick to install and last.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Can you do the work yourself, or you required to hire a certified by the county contractor?

Before you get started with the leach field, look up "septic lateral chambers" and get an idea of what is available now as compared to what you have buried. Better products, easier to install, quick to install and last.
I have been looking into the infiltrator chambers, I checked the price of pipe and rock and it is within 50 dollars and don’t have to mess with 13 yards of rock. Lots of saved labor.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
. Septic field replacement is very expensive. Here it has to be RE-permitted and the govt loves to make you move them from the existing location. It’s not unusual for folks in towns to have no idea whether they are on sewer or septic
I hear ya, anytime government gets involved it’s going to cost more than it should.

Chucktin

Oct 22, 2018
East Central Florida
I thought that (maybe just here in Florida?) when a septic tank is abandoned it is to be filled in.
However you have other problems. I'd look carefully at your real estate purchase process. It may be you were looking at it with Rosy glasses. On the other hand, _if_ the homestead was not accurately discribed you've got a whole 'nother problem.

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Mar 27, 2014
When you bought the property you probably had a warranty deed. There are typically about two pages of question that need to be answered. You can purchase the property "AS IS" and these items are still checked off by the buyer and seller.

Might be worth your while to do some research to see what was signed. Check with your realtor.

Brick Axelrod

Equipment
Apr 12, 2018
South Carolina
Thank you for saying all that needed to be said.

I can’t even remotely understand someone not knowing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like I said above,the listing said city water and sewer, it’s actually still online.The water meter is down about 1/4 mile of hill. The water bill comes and it says water and sewer but never noticed it was actually 2 separate charges, where I’m from if you get city water you pay for the same amount on city sewer no matter if you dump it or drink it. Anyway it happened.

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
Just proves sh*t happens.

Like you said, listing said public water/sewer. Given circumstances, I might consider holding someone's feet to the fire....

I had a couple unexpected revelations after we bought our place 27 years ago. That was after having an experienced contractor buddy look it over. One was mongrel brand breaker box I couldn't get breakers for.....he just missed it and I didn't know any better. He did it as a favor, so those were on me.

I had a little experience with the Infiltrator/gravel-less systems, and I kind of liked them. New York State started to allow them per code in the mid-'90's or so.

Easy installation, no need to haul yards of stone around house, etc. You can carry a bunch of the chambers in a pickup, versus a dumptruck loads of stone and perf pipe.

If I was putting in sewage system absorption lines, I would definitely consider them.

Last edited: