Suggestions on grinding tools or options to remove some steel

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Hi, I have a box blade that doesn't want to sit easily into my Cat 1 Speeco Quick eHitch ... with the right amount of top link extension and some 'pick it up from the back to drop it in' teasing ... I can get it to drop in ok ... but ... I'd rather avoid such things ...

The problem is the top part of the box blade (where the triangle meets up to help form the top link pick-up point) is just a bit too square and wide ... so, I'd like to take a few millimeters off ...

Do I need to buy/rent a special grinding tool? What kind of grinding disks would I need? What about sparks - is this something I need to mitigate?

Thank you!

imnukensc

Equipment
BX2380
Sep 10, 2015
Midlands of SC
Sounds like something you could do with an angle grinder (aka side grinder). They make discs for removing metal, but you'd have to do some research to find the correct one/kind. Someone with more experience and knowledge about them will probably be along shortly to help you out.

Reactions: 1 users

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
Hey! Welcome!

A regular angle grinder should do the trick. They are a tool of many uses. Cutting, shaping, grinding. Lots of things. A 4" - 5" or so can do most things that are needed around the typical homestead. You may need to go up a size for big projects.

You can use a flap disk or a grinding disk. Flap disk is slower, but gives you more control just because it is slower. Use a grinding disk to take it down roughly, then a flap disk to fine finish it.

Reactions: 2 users

The Evil Twin

Equipment
L2501, LA526,
Jul 19, 2022
Virginia
For that, I'd use a disk if you are handy with power tools. Angle grinders can get angry and kick if you aren't.
I had the same deal on a borrowed box blade. Lots of slag spatter from the cheap welds. While I was at it, I chamfered the edges to a 45° to make it pretty. Lol.

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Or better yet get the Extended top hook and it will fix that issue.

Sparky Prep

Dec 24, 2022
South Florida
Stick with a flapper disk if you only want to take off a few mm. A grinding disk will be too aggressive. If you don't grind metal regularly (I assume you don't since you are asking this question), and don't plan to grind regularly, just pick up a side grinder from Harbor Freight. It will be uber-cheap, and if it breaks, so what.

Wear goggles/ glasses and a face shield! Sparks shouldn't be too much of an issue. Just make sure there is nothing that is highly flammable in the area you plan to work. (gas cans, dry paper, oily rags, etc.)

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Okfokie , so the hook is too wide ? Go to Harbor Freight & buy a cheap angle grinder , some saftey glass's , & some grinder wheels & a flap disk or two . Wearing your safety gear Clamp the hook nice & sturdy & grind away with a grinding disk till it fits . When it gets to where it fits , smooth all the areas where you did the grinding with a grinder wheel first & then hit the hook with a flap wheel till there are no bur's left to rip some skin on . Then hit the hook with some anti rust paint & you should be good to go . I think I replaced teh bolts on my hook with pins so I didn't need any tools to adjust if I was away from my shop .
Safety first !
animal

Mark_BX25D

Equipment
Bx25D
Jul 19, 2020
Virginia
By the way, since you aren't familiar with angle grinders, here are a couple of safety tips:

1. Always unplug it before changing wheels. Always. It's to easy to bump the trigger and mangle a finger or two.
  2. Watch the direction of the wheel. You want it pulling the machine away from you, never pushing it towards you. Kickback can kill you. Literally.

A usability tip: Grab a cheap tool bag from Harbor Freight to keep it in, along with a bunch of spare disks.

I have found the HF disks are just fine. No need to spend more.

animals45

Equipment
L3301l
Apr 22, 2021
Mabie CA
Ont thingI forgot to mention about the HF angle grinders . Run if for maybe 5 minutes & then let it cool for that long , rinse & repeat . If you thonk you will use one more often then go to Homedepot or Amazon
& get a Dewalt or Milwaukee or some other good brand . Te HF wheels have all been good quality like mentioned above the griinders not so much . Thats way almost all of their tools with motors come with spare motor brushes & their a pretty soft carbon mixture .
animals45

Reactions: 1 users

eljuncal

Equipment
B2601HSD-1, LP Tiller, Maschio mower Titan Forks, Woods Box Blade, Herd Spreader
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
By the way, since you aren't familiar with angle grinders, here are a couple of safety tips:

1. Always unplug it before changing wheels. Always. It's to easy to bump the trigger and mangle a finger or two.
  2. Watch the direction of the wheel. You want it pulling the machine away from you, never pushing it towards you. Kickback can kill you. Literally.

A usability tip: Grab a cheap tool bag from Harbor Freight to keep it in, along with a bunch of spare disks.

I have found the HF disks are just fine. No need to spend more.
Big thank you for the safety tips and links ... as a result I ended up watching a nice 45min video from weld.com on grinder safety ...

Honestly, I had no idea of the risks involved .... thanks again!

Last edited:

eljuncal

Equipment
Oct 23, 2022
Colorado
Okfokie , so the hook is too wide ? Go to Harbor Freight & buy a cheap angle grinder , some saftey glass's , & some grinder wheels & a flap disk or two . Wearing your safety gear Clamp the hook nice & sturdy & grind away with a grinding disk till it fits . When it gets to where it fits , smooth all the areas where you did the grinding with a grinder wheel first & then hit the hook with a flap wheel till there are no bur's left to rip some skin on . Then hit the hook with some anti rust paint & you should be good to go . I think I replaced teh bolts on my hook with pins so I didn't need any tools to adjust if I was away from my shop .
Safety first !
animal
I've ordered some pins from BoltOnHooks that I'm hoping will eliminate the interference the existing bolt/nut/washer introduce for this specific box blade. If that fails, then, I'll try the grinder option ...

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Wear heavy gloves…if you value keeping your fingers.
Lots of videos on youtube.

Besides excellent safety advice (even some that experienced users may have missed)….THIS video also has great TECHNIQUE suggestions. WATCH THIS!

Watch ALL of this: (WARNING: photos of actual injuries at end of video)

Last edited: