Stumped...no start after kiiling it while tilling

Arrowem

Equipment
B7610
Apr 21, 2024
duluth
I have a B7610 HST and was tilling a food plot and got into some roots and the tracto killed. No biggie right. Well I disengage the pto and try to start it. Nothing. Not a click of the starter. So, I jiggle all the controls to make sure the pto is disengaged, put it in neutral, etc... nothing. Since this has happened one before, I got my wheeler and pulled the tractor a bit incase there was any binding causing a sensor to keep it from starting. Nothing.
So I jump the pos and neg on the starter and it spins but does not engage (bendix doesn't slide into place). So I take out the battery (to charge/check) and buy a new starter thinking something wrong with the solenoid. Put that all back in. SAME THING! The ignition ahs an initial click (like receiving power/glow plug powering) but no click to the starter. Jumping the starter spins, no engagement. I checked the seat sensor and pto neutral sensor with an ohm meter and the tested ok. I have the ignition switch out but not sure how to check that.
So, I could use some ideas here.
Sad par is its in the woods and not real easy to keep going back and forth to.

Thanks, Jason

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
First and foremost your jumping the starter wrong
Your jumping it form large terminal to large terminal.
All that does is power the starter, not the solenoid, which is what is needed to engage the drive on the starter.
Jump from the main post with the battery cable to the small terminal with a White / Black stripe wire attached to it.

Have you checked all the fuses?

Most likely reasons for no crank condition is PTO switch, seat switch, and or HST / Clutch switch.

Reactions: 1 users

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
If it's not something simple like a fuse, you will need a wiring diagram to properly diagnose. Don't throw anymore parts at it until you trace the starting circuit in its entirety.

The BXX10 series was the first B series to get key stop ignition and all the operator presence nonsense. Like wolfman said, there is a high probability your issue is somewhere in that circuit.

Lastly, If you removed the factory Denso starter and replaced it with something other than another Denso, put the original back and and return the new one.

If you find a wiring diagram, post it and we can further help you troubleshoot.

Reactions: 1 user

dirtydeed

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2650 BH77, U27-4R2, BX23TLBM, box blade, rear blade, flail mower, Stump Grinder
Dec 8, 2017
Wind Gap, PA
after doing what is stated above... try running your jumper cable (negative side of the battery) to a very good ground. I'm betting that you have a bad ground strap.

fixed the neighbor ford this way....he replaced the battery and was about to buy a new starter. I connected the battery negative terminal to a bolt on his loader frame using one side of a jumper cable. Started right up.

madplanter

Equipment
2620 w loader/backhoe/mower
Jan 8, 2024
Pa.
I have a B7610 HST and was tilling a food plot and got into some roots and the tracto killed. No biggie right. Well I disengage the pto and try to start it. Nothing. Not a click of the starter. So, I jiggle all the controls to make sure the pto is disengaged, put it in neutral, etc... nothing. Since this has happened one before, I got my wheeler and pulled the tractor a bit incase there was any binding causing a sensor to keep it from starting. Nothing.
So I jump the pos and neg on the starter and it spins but does not engage (bendix doesn't slide into place). So I take out the battery (to charge/check) and buy a new starter thinking something wrong with the solenoid. Put that all back in. SAME THING! The ignition ahs an initial click (like receiving power/glow plug powering) but no click to the starter. Jumping the starter spins, no engagement. I checked the seat sensor and pto neutral sensor with an ohm meter and the tested ok. I have the ignition switch out but not sure how to check that.
So, I could use some ideas here.
Sad par is its in the woods and not real easy to keep going back and forth to.

Thanks, Jason
I would look at any safety switches and the like under the tractor and see if you snagged something electrical and pulled it loose. Off the top of my head you probably have one on the pto lever, treadle pedal or clutch or gear shift, oil pressure switch on some engines will kill them....