Steering box assembly

seanbarr

Equipment
B7100DT (sold) - Branson 3520H
Feb 1, 2013
Deer Park, WA
During my moderate overhaul of my tractor, I worked on the steering issue as there was some play. After reading about how problematic these steering boxes are, I decided to do some PM. I was surprised to see that there were NO oil coming out of the drain when I started it! Turns out after taking it apart, this is what I saw inside it...

The rest of the parts...

And a closeup of the nut ball...

If you'll notice, there's the chewed-up washer/ring thingamabob. Any idea where that could be from? I'm already ordering a bunch of replacement seals, bearings, shims, bushings, seals, etc. I'll be washing all this stuff off to get it back together the right way and use gear oil as specified. I don't have a parts washer so I'm gonna get a small one that holds 3.5 gallons. I wonder what solvent I can use to wash it with, especially with all that grease provided I get the bulk of it off?

Also, here's my mystery and I hope you'll assist. I've found these two, one at the bottom of the box, and one on the bottom of the shaft. I simply lost track of how they should be found, partly because it was just full of this grease.

I'm going to clean it out before I ask any further questions about the proper assembly. The parts diagram isn't too clear on orientation of the bearings but hopefully I'll learn after cleaning it and by reading the articles.

When it comes time to clean it all, The scary part is the nut ball assembly. I'd imagine that I'll have to take apart the whole thing and assemble it back together, carefully I'd imagine, and inside a box/pan with a magnet to keep the balls from rolling away.

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
Your mystery parts-- The steering shaft has a bearing and race just above and just below the worm and ball nut. On the right is the bearing and race. On the left is just an bearing. One of your race's is still in the box. It is probably the lower one. The lower race get pressed into a machined area in the bottom of the box. The upper race goes into the bottom of the steering column.

Apogee

Equipment
B6100, B7100, B8200, B9200, G4200, L175, L35
Jan 22, 2012
Tacoma, WA
Nothing wrong with using grease in these boxes. I have three to rebuild. Two of the three failed from loss of oil due to the side seal failing, and the third from water getting into the box. In each instance, had the boxes been packed full of grease, they would still be working fine.

Mine are all going back together using grease instead of oil. I am also going to do what another member recommended and install three zerk fittings on the shaft tube. He then fills the tubes full of grease to keep the water out.

Kubota should have addressed this steering box issue years ago as lots of them have failed.

Your chewed up "washer ring thingmabob" looks like it might be a spring from one of the seals. The spring is part of the seal itself and holds the seal lip against the shaft.

Your local auto parts sells cleaning solvent but it's spendy. You can also use diesel fuel or kerosene.

Steve

Last edited: