Starting BX25 with seat removed.

Quokka49

Equipment
BX25 FEL,Slasher,midmount mower-deck, Backhoe, post hole digger
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
Hi People, had to work on gearbox so removed seat. Want to start tractor without replacing seat. Have closed all pressure(safety) switches and new battery. Fuel pump, Fuel & temp gauges, LR indicators, and glow plug indicators light up but not starting. I understand the reasons why this is not recommended for safety reasons but I don’t want to assemble everything to discover I have a problem. Forgot to mention have also filled gearbox with new oil. Any clues on what I’ve missed gratefully accepted. Cheers Q

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Check the PTO lever to make sure that it is in the neutral position. Only thing that I can think of.

Reactions: 1 user

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
BX tractor models will all start in either turtle or rabbit mode including but not limited to my BX23S
Not true in the case of my BX2200. Must be in N. Does not care about the directional pedal though. The workshop manual for the OP's BX25 tractor shows a switch called the HST Neutral switch in series with the PTO switch...so I think your statement is in error.

Not disputing your BX23S is different...

Edit: It is possible your BX23S has a safety interlock on the HST pedal, rather than the range selector. I doubt Kubota would not have some type of safety interlock to prevent the tractor from moving when started. If there were none, if you started the tractor with your foot on the directional pedal it would move unexpectantly. Not a good thing...

Last edited:

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
HST neutral switch is probably the pedal ( fwd-new-rev) NOT the hi-nu-lo range lever ??

I KNOW my BX23S will start, me standing next to it with 'range' lever in any position...
..still looking for a readable PDF of the wiring diagram.....
can zoom BX25 PDF up to 600% and READ it fine........

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Not true in the case of my BX2200. Must be in N. Does not care about the directional pedal though. The workshop manual for the OP's BX25 tractor shows a switch called the HST Neutral switch in series with the PTO switch...so I think your statement is in error.

Edit: It is possible your BX23S has a safety interlock on the HST pedal, rather than the range selector. I doubt Kubota would not have some type of safety interlock to prevent the tractor from moving when started. If there were none, if you started the tractor with your foot on the directional pedal it would move unexpectantly. Not a good thing...
Considering that his tractor doesn't have a seat for him to sit in and depress the HST pedal it is a moot point. As for a safety interlock on the HST pedal, if there is one, I have yet to experience it, since I don't know any sane person that would start a tractor with their foot on the HST pushing it forward or reverse. I will have to try it next time I go out to my BX23S just to satisfy my curiosity.

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Considering that his tractor doesn't have a seat for him to sit in and depress the HST pedal it is a moot point. As for a safety interlock on the HST pedal, if there is one, I have yet to experience it, since I don't know any sane person that would start a tractor with their foot on the HST pushing it forward or reverse. I will have to try it next time I go out to my BX23S just to satisfy my curiosity.
Remember this is the country of lawyers and lawsuits.

Do you think Kubota does not realize this? Since your BX will start in gear, I would bet there is a HST pedal interlock.

My B2910 will start in gear, and there is not a HST pedal switch, but there is an interlock that will prevent the engine from starting unless the clutch pedal is depressed.

BUT the point is that to help the OP we should advise him on what the issue might be. And the electrical diagram for his tractor does show two safety interlock switches in the start circuit...NOT just the PTO switch.

Reactions: 1 user

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Yes ,for the BX23S...there's an HST neutral switch in series with the PTO switch that then feeds a starter relay that then controls power to the actual starter..whew......
for his BX25 as long as the PTO is off AND the pedal is in neutral, it should start, according to the wiring diagram....

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
Hi People, had to work on gearbox so removed seat. Want to start tractor without replacing seat. Have closed all pressure(safety) switches and new battery. Fuel pump, Fuel & temp gauges, LR indicators, and glow plug indicators light up but not starting. I understand the reasons why this is not recommended for safety reasons but I don’t want to assemble everything to discover I have a problem. Forgot to mention have also filled gearbox with new oil. Any clues on what I’ve missed gratefully accepted. Cheers Q

Quokka49

Equipment
Nov 19, 2014
Australia
Thanks very much guys. Unfortunately I have to go up country today to assist with flood relief. Won't be back until Friday. I'm hopeful that your advice will solve my problem. - Cheers Q

Henro

Equipment
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
Thanks very much guys. Unfortunately I have to go up country today to assist with flood relief. Won't be back until Friday. I'm hopeful that your advice will solve my problem. - Cheers Q
Around here it is snow relief!

But I see you are in Australia. Enjoy your Spring/Summer, aside from the spring rains you seem to be suffering from...since you mentioned flood relief.

DustyRusty

Equipment
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Hope that your trip upcountry is a short one and that everyone is safe. As a retired EMT, I remember the days when I got called up to assist during a natural disaster. Most times it was a snow blizzard that crippled the area. Only once did I go out on a call as a result of flooding conditions. I remember to this day the torrent of water heading down the hill that I was ascending to get to the top. Be safe and we will work on this together when you return. Dusty

whitetiger

Staff member

Equipment
Kubota tech..BX2370, RCK60, B7100HST, RTV900 w plow, Ford 1100 FWA
Nov 20, 2011
Kansas City, KS

The early BX series tractors have a safety switch on the Range lever and the later BX series tractors have the switch moved to the HST pedal. The change was made I believe with the BX30 series.