Starting a V2003T that has been sitting

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Greetings,

I have a V2003T engine that has been sitting in the back barn for about 5 years now. The engine is in a Toro 4700 groundsmaster. I was told that it ran when it was parked there. The problem I face is that most of the electronics from the machine have been robbed to fix other machines. There is not much left of the machine but the frame and the engine. The radiator is missing as well.

I would like to try to fire this thing up just to hear it run and possibly sell it if someone has interest. I think it has around 6k hours. What would be some steps that you all would recommend to fire her up?

Thanks
Sean

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
well a rad would be a good start.....
proper wiring diagram is really a MUST....
replace all filters....
real good battery....
clean all fuel lines,drain tank, add fresh fuel

maybe spin the engine over(do NOT allow to start) to confirm it will spin over,get oil here and there
follow 'priming' proceedure(still do NOT allow engine to start)
once 'primed...now try to start

big issue could be bodged wiring/ missing sensors/etc..

you 'could' run rad hose 'out to in'( fill with 50/50) for short runs (say 5-10 minutes ?)

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
You would have to post a picture of the stop/ run solenoid, it would be next to or around the injection pump.
Some models you can simply remove the solenoid to get it to run, where others will require you to power it to run, a picture will tell me.

You can safely run it for a minute without the radiator.

Pull the intake hose off the turbo and make sure it spins.
Turn the engine at least 2 rotations by hand, it it turns freely your good.
Drain all all the fuel, clean the fuel filter/ separator bowl, add new fuel, open jet start valve on the side of the injection pump, crank in short runs till you get fuel out the jet start valve.
(if it was equipped with a electric fuel pump or you want to avoid any issues with the fuel system, remove the Injection pump feed line on the side and gravity bottle feed the injection pump from above.
Set it up with a good battery, just jump from the large battery terminal to the small spade terminal to get it to crank.

Sean2202

Equipment
L305DT
May 27, 2019
CT
Thanks for the replies. The stop run solenoid is electric powered as well as the fuel pump. I pulled the stop run solenoid at one point to use for its twin that we have here. I could swap it back on for a test. The fuel was drained and tank removed at one point to remove other parts so I need to reinstall that as well as the fuel water separator. I will keep posted when this project continues.

Attachments