Stalling Mystery

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
At least you have identified the problem source and can focus on that now!

You may be able to vacuum your tank of any fuel and debris but many plastic tanks are molded and difficult to see inside to the bottom.

Good luck and keep us posted on what the final outcome is.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Bruce, I am concerned they may still be something in the tank and how I would get it out would be the next big issue if I am unlucky. I did my compresser blow at the first fuel filter inlet, so as far as I know there is nothing between there and the tank. Corrections welcome.

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Russell I do feel some progress was made so that's a good thing. I did look into that tank and haven't a clue how I would get any residual junk that may remain. Tank conforms over the wheel well and goes in under the seat somehow .. yuck. Hope I don't have to go there. I double filtered the new fuel going in and added my newly acquired algicide.

BruceP

Equipment
G5200H
Aug 7, 2016
Richmond, Vermont, USA
I just checked the online Kubota parts for your tractor. There is DEFINITELY a filter between the tank and the lift-pump. ==> https://apps.kubotausa.com/illustrated-parts/

Infact, your tractor has TWO of these same filters (Kubota P/N 12581-43012) One BEFORE the lift-pump and another AFTER it near the engine.

You can get equivalent FRAM inline filters at WallMart for about $4 each.... Just make sure the nipple-diameter is correct. (buying bulk filters online is even cheaper)

I would suggest you purchase several of these filters and simply REPLACE them every time you encounter this issue.

HINT: Only replace REAR filter first... run the tractor a couple times before changing the other one. In this way, any crud you knock loose replacing the rear one, gets caught in the front one.

Eventually, all the crud in the tank will be caught in the filters you are replacing.

BTW: Replacing diesel filters is a MESSY, SMELLY job. Do not forget to 'pinch off' the hose before removing filter so you do not drain the tank on the ground. (I use needle-nose vice-grips with electrical tape wrapped around the jaws.... do NOT pinch the hose enough to damage it. Just enough to stop the flow)

Last edited:

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Yup, sure is two filters; I undid the inlet to the first filter (the one just prior to the pump) and blew back to the tank from there.

Did change both filters for my 400 hr service (about 10 hours ago) so they are new. Ran for about 3 hours today and had no stutters at all. My new theory is the hill work I was doing managed to loosen those 5 or 6 fir needles enough for them to start causing the problem. The only question is, are there more still in the tank - I hope not.

galstaf

Equipment
B26
Sep 27, 2018
Stone Mountain
Hey Andy, I am getting almost identical symptoms to you.. stalling after an hour or so use... then the tractor will keep doing it to the point it is useless until the next day.
I have tried all the fuel issues I can find.. I have plenty of fuel flow.. I can see the fuel flowing via TWO prescreens before the factory filter.

Did you ever figure it out?

AndyM

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX25DTLB
Sep 21, 2016
Vancouver Island Canada
Just noticed this galstaf. Yup - it was the needles in the tank. Since I drained it and started my new double filtering routine I have had no problems. Pain to figure out what the issue was but a cheap fix in the end. Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user