Spring and RB1560

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Years ago I bought at auction a half bucket of used sickle bar knives. I made hand hoes for weeding. I still have a few. My rear blade has a reversible mold board. I am considering welding 8 or 10 sickle bar knifes to the mold board and using as a mini cultivator/rear blade tooth bar. Up I have a normal rear blade, down a cultivator/tooth bar. What do you think....good/bad, work not work?

pendoreille

Lifetime Member

Equipment
B2620, fel, RB1560, Piranha Tooth Bar
Jan 2, 2015
Newport, WA
Sawmill...Do you think they would be too brittle? I don't have a lot of experience with steel. Just an old woodworker here.

sawmill

Equipment
bx24 backhoe/fel, 48" Bush mower
Nov 16, 2014
ione, washington
Sawmill...Do you think they would be too brittle? I don't have a lot of experience with steel. Just an old woodworker here.
They probably would be pretty brittle. But it might be worth a try. Might try doing a small area then check for for cracks. Maybe raise it a little and scratch the surface a few times.
I don't have a tooth bar on my fel, so I wrapped a long chain around the fel several times and kept back dragging until I broke up my ice. It took a while but sure beat the hell out busting my a$$.:eek:

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Pendoreille you mention, "I am considering welding 8 or 10 sickle bar knifes to the mold board and using as a mini cultivator/rear blade tooth bar."

I would suggest you do not weld them (the sickle bar knives, also known as sections) because they are too brittle. There are two hole in them either for rivets or bolts.

How ever you are going to use them build a bracket or framework to attach to your rear blade with bolts. Then if it doesn't work as you intend you haven't buggered up your blade.

If you build more of your cultivating tools get the serrated sections. They're so sharp they're dangerous!!

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Rail road spikes would work better to weld on. ;)
The sickle bar blades are too brittle and most likely welding them would just allow them to crack.
You could bolt or rivet them but then again how well are they going to hold up to the force.
They also don't hold up well putting force on the flat side.