Sooo

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Are posted speed limits real laws, or just guide lines ?

DustyRusty

Equipment
2020 BX23S, BX2822 Snowblower, Curtis Deluxe Cab,
Nov 8, 2015
North East CT
Depends on who stops you. On my driveway where it meets up with the town road, the road department put a stop sign on the corner. I am just waiting for the day that some state cop gives me a ticket for not stopping at the stop sign at the end of my driveway. They put one up a bunch of years ago, and when I pointed out to them that it was a discontinued town road, and is now a private driveway they removed it. Jump ahead 10 years, new people at the town road department, and then put up another. You can't fix stupid when it comes to government employees!

Reactions: 1 user

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
Depends on how your local laws are written.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
Around here speed signs are 'optional'.... Niece went for her driver's license highway test. Posted sign is 90KMh, cars in 2 other lanes zoom past her. She flunks, for 'not keeping up with traffic'. Her father,who test drives cars/trucks for living, calls up MTO . Seems 'they' rethought about the flunking after he informed them his worldwide access to the media....

• Wow

RCW

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2360, FEL, MMM, BX2750D snowblower. 1953 Minneapolis Moline ZAU
Apr 28, 2013
Chenango County, NY
The white Speed Limit signs are enforceable.

I think the yellow/orange speed signs are advisory. Often see them on curves/ near golf courses, crosswalks, etc. School zones might be an exception.

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Kubota B7100(sold), Kubota LX2610 Cab
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
They are real laws. Based on safety for all drivers at all times based on average traffic on an average day or night in the area.

But, if you're driving 65 in a posted 65 but EVERYONE else is driving 80... you are a risk to safety. You ARE a traffic hazard. You might not get a ticket but road rage comes into play and / or the real possibility of you causing an accident that might kill our maim real people. . And all the BS that comes later in court and your costs. If that is you, stay in the right or slow lane.

On the other hand; If it's 3AM and you're the only dude on the road going 80 in a posted 65 zone. You'll probably get a ticket. You earned it.

The rules are rules... 'real laws', based on safety. The local court in each juristiction deal with this and the judge or judges won't be dismayed.

Cops are there to enforce safety. And, Cops are human and some are understanding..... And some are not.

If pulled over, say "Sir or Ma'am" and show respect to the law person. It goes a LONG WAY to prevent a ticket.

If it's posted on public property it's usually legit.

In a store parking lot, or private property, it's not law but up to the judge... usually. But I've never known a real cop to ticket for private property violations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
I've heard the saying 9 your fine, 10 your mine. Not sure if a cop would agree.

9 and 10 you're fine as long as everyone else is doing it.

5 your mine if they have the time and they are looking for drunks. So, If you had 1 drink.... drive the posted limit. If you are drunk off your ass drive however you feel and I hope the county mounty busts you before you kill anyone.

Anything under 3 and that cop is on a mission by his boss, the county judge, or holds a grudge. Or thinks that you are intoxicated.

But my mom got pulled over in MN a couple decades ago, and ticketed... for 2 mph over!

Bottom line is to go the flow of the traffic and don't go stupid fast. Otherwise stay in the slow right lane and go slow.

It's the law.... To Be Safe.

Last edited:

NorthwoodsLife

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Oct 15, 2021
Wisconsin
More accidents are caused by drivers going slow in the fast lane, than anything else other than T Bone accidents at traffic signals and at stop signs.

(Not including DUI, DWI, etc).

NCL4701

Equipment
L4701, T2290, WC68, grapple, BB1572, Farmi W50R, Howes 500, 16kW IMD gen, WG24
Apr 27, 2020
Central Piedmont, NC
Here in the US, the white speed limit signs are law, but like all other laws there is some discretion in how they’re enforced. Not sure how to give other examples of laws with well known “discretionary enforcement” limits that don’t quite align with the strict letter of the law without derailing into politics, but I suspect it isn’t difficult to come up with other examples.

@NorthwoodsLife explanation matches very accurately with how speed limits are enforced here. Sometimes a stand alone offense if sufficiently egregious, but often used as a technical offense to establish probable cause to legitimize a stop to check on other potential offenses. I sometimes think that’s the low key reason for allowing everyone to go a bit above the speed limit. If everyone is going a bit above the limit, the police have legitimate probable cause to stop anyone any time they feel like it.

The yellow speed signs are suggestions intended to keep folks unfamiliar with the area from doing ill advised things such as taking a blind curve too fast and flying off the road. Pulling a 9K lb camper in the mountains where I’m not familiar with the roads, I cut about 5mph off them and treat them like a hard speed limit. Driving my work issued Crown Victoria in the mountainous territory I worked back in the day where I knew the roads better than the UPS man, paid them no attention at all.

ken erickson

Equipment
B7100 hst, 2650 front mount snowblower, L2501 hst qa loader
Nov 21, 2010
Waupaca Wisconsin
Everything you would want to know about Wisconsin speed limits including legal authority and if local governments can change or modify speed limits.

I would assume that Skeets can find a similar document from his home state.

13-05.pdf

Yotekiller

Equipment
Kubota L2502, LP 60" BB, LP pallet forks, 60" KK Tiller, 55" HSI root grapple
Sep 29, 2023
Southern Indiana
One of my best friends was a state trooper and he always told me that only a new cop would pull anyone over for going 15MPH and under over the posted speed limit. That pretty much is how it is around here too unless it's late at night when the cops are looking for ANY reason to pull you over and check for DUI or drugs. I live in a small town that's saturated with drugs and the cops are extremely proactive and rule this town with an iron fist.

PHPaul

Equipment
B2650, Pronovost snow blower, Landpride rotary mower, Howard tiller, box blade
Apr 2, 2015
Downeast Maine
www.eastovershoe.com
Those are just the minimums, right? :p

There's a road near me that's 5 miles long, posted @45 end to end. 3 miles of it are totally uninhabited, not even any power lines. Essentially straight, no side roads or driveways, very little traffic.

I will be buggered if I'm going to poke along at 45 under those conditions.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
In Tx DPS considers 6 mph over the posted limit to be worthy of citation.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
When you go to court to fight your ticket pay attention to what the ticketing officer is wearing.

If he/she is wearing a suit/business attire then they are getting paid duty to sit in court all day and you are toast.

If you see them in uniform then they are on shift and you are toast because they made it to court in time.