So how can I get these logs cut up?

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
My daughter does pyrography (burns images on wood). In clearing around our new house I had to take down a standing dead cedar. The wood is really solid and I cut up 5 rounds. I'd really like to have these sliced into 1/2" thick pieces (they range from 15" to 12" in diameter) so she could use them for her art.
Any suggestions?

DeepWoods

Equipment
B2650HSDC Woodland Mills WC68 Wood Chipper
Apr 10, 2019
Bigfork Minnesota
If you are talking about cutting cookies, any guy with a sawmill could cut them in short order. If you wanted small flat boards, that same sawmill may turn you away as most sawmills are not setup to cut anything much shorter than 3-4 feet long. It can be done, but it’s much more involved. If I were doing it for you on my mill, I would charge by the hour, or if I was in a good mood, do it for free as a good will gesture. You can check to see if you have a mill close by on Forestryforum.com.

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
yeah, 'cookies', made a jig for my bandsaw mill, could cut a cookie in 30 seconds. had stacks(200-250) of them ( was told 'great for weddings and crafts'.....never sold any, after 6 months burned them in the firepit. took 6 days...

Last edited:

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
I did search for sawmills in my area but nothing close. I called one and what they said translated to just a pia job, no thanks. I understand that.

Greensvillejay that does give me an idea. One of my friends has a large bandsaw. I don't know if it will be able to handle a log but worth looking into.
ty

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Look at Alaska mills if you’re thinking like planks. Use a rip chain and they will be pretty smooth when cut.

I have cut several logs in half (length wise) to have the flat surface to make a bench or a step using a Granberg chainsaw mill like this.

You can cut planks but the sides might not be parallel.

The logs I cut were only up to about 10 to 12 inch diameter.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
Look at Alaska mills if you’re thinking like planks. Use a rip chain and they will be pretty smooth when cut.

I have cut several logs in half (length wise) to have the flat surface to make a bench or a step using a Granberg chainsaw mill like this.

You can cut planks but the sides might not be parallel.

The logs I cut were only up to about 10 to 12 inch diameter.
From his post, I think that the OP is looking for "rounds" rather than "slabs".

Henro

Equipment
B2910, BX2200, KX41-2V mini Ex.
May 24, 2019
North of Pittsburgh PA
[QUOTE="ctfjr, post: 679311, member: 1062"

Greensvillejay that does give me an idea. One of my friends has a large bandsaw. I don't know if it will be able to handle a log but worth looking into.
ty
[/QUOTE]

No problem there. You just cut them into shorter lengths that he can handle. Maybe 12" or so?

Almost certainly a person with a standard bandsaw, regardless of size will not be able to handle a log...even if only 3' long.

This is assuming you want "cookies" and not slabs. BUT actually, a creative guy with a large bandsaw might be able to make short 12" slabs for you as well.

One thing about wood "cookies," when the wood is green it dries out and the disks split from the center to the edge somewhere. Would this be a problem?

GreensvilleJay

Equipment
BX23-S,57 A-C D-14,58 A-C D-14, 57 A-C D-14,tiller,cults,Millcreek 25G spreader,
Apr 2, 2019
Greensville,Ontario,Canada
not many bandsaws have 12-15" throat,and you NEED a jig to hold the logs.
with one good eye, you can use an electric chainsaw to get good cookies, then use hand planer or coarse sander to smoooooth them.
paint both sides with latex paint, sticker, blow slow air, should dry nicely in 2-3 months. when ready, wuick sanding gets rid of the paint
might want to see what recipsaw blades you can get, some are 12", might work OK....

ctfjr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800HST
Dec 7, 2009
central ct
Thanks - the mini- mill is an interesting tool but I do want cookies. . . Will try to work something out with a bandsaw. Worth a try anyway :)

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Get a Carbide chain for a GOOD chain saw and have some fun, in cedar it's like a hot knife thru butter.

Reactions: 1 user