SnowBlowing and Block Heaters

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
I have put this together over the last couple of years and since I am sitting here having my second cup of coffee while the Bota' warms up I figured it might help out others to see what I have found that works :)

Funny things, Block Heaters

So after a couple of years I finally have it figured out "I Think"

The old L185DT that I owned before, I just tossed on 2 of the 200W magnetic heaters and all was good.. These do have some issues but all I cared about was getting a 24k hours tractor to start in the cold snowy mornings

The L3600 came with a Block Heater wow worked great the first month, right up until I got the Electric bill that was not a great idea after all leaving it plugged in

So I think Thermo-cube !!!!! just like I use in the pump house would do the trick... But honestly it seemed that it was on when not needed (Cold Clear Nights) and off when the snow was falling (32° - 36°) I tried two different ones but it just didn't work for me...

Next step was a remote switch, and after the second one, a Thomas & Betts 150' range rated good down to -20° ($17) I finally had a system working..

I added a light inline so that I could get up at 6:00 am hit the remote and see the indicator light come on so I knew the block heater was on also.. I got up went downstairs and got a pot of coffee on, tossed the Coldweather gear in the dryer to warm up...
At 6:30 am I went out and fired up the Tractor came back in and had a cup of coffee and browsed the Forums and News.. At 7:00 am I went and cleared the road...

I added two of the old 200W Mag Heaters to the bottom of the Transmission, not sure how much it really helps warm up the Hyd fluid but it comes on with the remote also... Maybe it is all in my head but everything seems to function smoother and faster now that I added it

One thing that has stood out from reading not only this forum but a few of the others... What most of us have are "Chore Tractors" which means they pretty much sit, until we have a chore they need to do. Warming them up completely before we make them work is the least we can do...

Here is a Vid I did last year of the system and how it works, maybe it will help you save money like it did me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__UFau0yKyU

coachgeo

Equipment
L225 w/woods Few Mowers & Back Blade, D722 in Motorcycle (Triumph Tiger), LMTV
Nov 16, 2012
Southern OH

Here is a Vid I did last year of the system and how it works, maybe it will help you save money like it did me...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__UFau0yKyU
the roll up extension cord in a case........ suggest you replace it. Those are known to have MAJOR issues; least in the past..... maybe they are redesigned in last year or so. Past ones caused many problems; Would hate to here of a major or even minor barn fire and tractor loss.

Last edited:

gssixgun

Equipment
L3600, FEL, SnoBlower, Box Blade, Rear Blade, Forks, Cultivator, Plow
Jan 5, 2013
Sandpoint ID
www.gemstarcustoms.com
the roll up extension cord in a case........ suggest you replace it. Those are known to have MAJOR issues; least in the past..... maybe they are redesigned in last year or so. Past ones caused many problems; Would hate to here of a major or even minor barn fire and tractor loss.
Well thanks for a fun google search...

1999 & 2004

Two different reel type both with metal housings were recalled over the chance of Electric Shock Hazard...

But at least I went and checked better safe then sorry :)

Diydave

Equipment
L2202 tractor, L185f tractor
Oct 31, 2013
Gambrills, MD USA
Change position of the light, put it over the seat, and you'll have a warm butt, too, when you go out, in the mornin...:D:D

jgvicke

Equipment
Kubota BX2370 with FEL, MMM, Bagger, Tiller, and Snow Blower
Dec 12, 2015
North Brookfield, MA, USA
Interesting way to extend remote controls like that. If you hold them up to your head (or even a 1 gallon jug of water if you don't want RF going through your brain) it will extend the range. I know it sounds crazy, but I have tried it and it works. Your body can act as a natural antenna for RF. This will work for car and garage fobs as well.***65279;

Tooljunkie

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L1501,home built carry all, mini plow blade.
May 13, 2014
Lac Du Bonnet, Manitoba,Canada
Windows are poor for passing radio signals, better through the wall. A house finished outside with stucco blocks a lot of the radio signal, so sometimes getting the extra range involves sticking remote out the door or window.
I used a remote starter to extend range for my garage door opener, but it needs 12 volts to operate.

Grouse Feathers

Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX2370, FEL, Snowblower-BX5455, Homebuilt Forks, LP RB1560, LP GS1548
Feb 16, 2015
Lovells, Mi
Windows are poor for passing radio signals, better through the wall. A house finished outside with stucco blocks a lot of the radio signal, so sometimes getting the extra range involves sticking remote out the door or window.
I used a remote starter to extend range for my garage door opener, but it needs 12 volts to operate.
Frank
Maybe your walls work better, but my windows pass radio signals much better.... It could be the plaster walls from 1926, the mortar base in on steel lathe.:(:( Windows may have the same problem when there are metal screens. I use cell phone repeater antennas to get the cell phone signal in. The phone antenna is outside, but the computer antenna is just in a window that has a nylon screen.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
Aluminum siding stucko with metal lath, stainless steel screens will all add up to in effect a Faraday shield and they stops RF sending it to ground, you should be grounded you know,, Anyway my pole building is metal and it is so well grounded that my truck radio wont hardly work when the doors are closed, and I have to be right up on the door for the opener to work. So just for S&G I ran a small gauge wire under the door and attached it to the opener, and walked down the drive way maybe 50 feet hit the button and bam up it goes. Case in point is to if you can extend the antenna out from the building. Remember you are dealing with a very low power rf signal

CaveCreekRay

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3800 HST, KingKutter box scraper, KingKutter 66" rake, County Pride Subsoiler
Jul 11, 2014
Cave Creek, AZ
Great idea. Warmer be mo-bettuh!

One caution on the cord reels. Never put high current devices on the extendable cord reels that use metal contact wipers. The wipers overheat and will melt at less that 1500 watts (been there done that). Most of these are the retractable pull-down style. Use these for lighting only.

The reel pictured may be just a cord reel with a plug block at the end... no contacts to worry about. That's fine. And, of course, the heavier the extension cord, the more heat to the heater block.

I need to find one of those transmitters that works up to 600 feet. My barn is a ways...

jmatz

Equipment
B2650 Cab, LA534 FEL, B2782 snowblower, Landpride GS1572 grader
Feb 14, 2015
Traverse City, Mi
Great idea. Warmer be mo-bettuh!

One caution on the cord reels. Never put high current devices on the extendable cord reels that use metal contact wipers. The wipers overheat and will melt at less that 1500 watts (been there done that). Most of these are the retractable pull-down style. Use these for lighting only.

The reel pictured may be just a cord reel with a plug block at the end... no contacts to worry about. That's fine. And, of course, the heavier the extension cord, the more heat to the heater block.

I need to find one of those transmitters that works up to 600 feet. My barn is a ways...

Great information. I was planning on installing a cord reel this weekend in the new garage. The one I've used for years in the old place never had a problem with running shop vacs, fans, lights, but my block heater might be a different matter.

I'll have to get a timer too - probably only need to heat for a couple hours before I want to start the tractor in the morning. A thermometer in the garage might not be a bad idea either.