Snow tracks for subcompact tractor?

countryliving84

Jan 10, 2018
Ontario
Does anyone know if there is a track kit that will work on the bx23? Perhaps a set for atv/utv? Looking to install a set on my tractor to get better traction for snow removal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Williamstown Ontario Canada
Does anyone know if there is a track kit that will work on the bx23? Perhaps a set for atv/utv? Looking to install a set on my tractor to get better traction for snow removal

The purpose of tracks is to lessen pressure on ground not to increase traction.

I have seen tracks on farm tractors used for skidoo trail grooming but they are always afraid of going through bogs and crossing streams where flotation not traction is the requirement.

Another not unimportant detail. If you want the tracks to go over the front and rear wheels you would need to be very careful not to use 4WD as there is a designed in speed difference between the two axles. The tracks would be fighting that difference.

Some tracks go around the rear tires and then a bogey wheel between the front and back axles becoming a bit like a half track.

The tracks will not dig into ice and hard packed snow but slide on top of it.

Chains, especially studded chains like those by TRYGG, are the way to increase traction along with more weight.

Dave

countryliving84

Jan 10, 2018
Ontario
The purpose of tracks is to lessen pressure on ground not to increase traction.

I have seen tracks on farm tractors used for skidoo trail grooming but they are always afraid of going through bogs and crossing streams where flotation not traction is the requirement.

Another not unimportant detail. If you want the tracks to go over the front and rear wheels you would need to be very careful not to use 4WD as there is a designed in speed difference between the two axles. The tracks would be fighting that difference.

Some tracks go around the rear tires and then a bogey wheel between the front and back axles becoming a bit like a half track.

The tracks will not dig into ice and hard packed snow but slide on top of it.

Chains, especially studded chains like those by TRYGG, are the way to increase traction along with more weight.

Dave

Thank you for all the information and clarifying. I would have assumed tracks were the way to go but I guess not.
I just purchased a new bx23s with a 55” front mount blower for the new property as a compact all purpose tool. The driveway will be 2000 feet long and was thinking tracks would be the ace in my back pocket to prevent getting stuck and add aid in traction.

rdeist

Equipment
Bx23TLB
Feb 13, 2014
Bend, Oregon USA
Thank you for all the information and clarifying. I would have assumed tracks were the way to go but I guess not.
I just purchased a new bx23s with a 55” front mount blower for the new property as a compact all purpose tool. The driveway will be 2000 feet long and was thinking tracks would be the ace in my back pocket to prevent getting stuck and add aid in traction.

I use a BX23 with a front plow blade in Central Oregon and never even used chains. The only time there was an issue is when the snow was 3ft deep and the tractor was high centered and lost traction.

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012

Have you ever seen a D10 dozer high centered. It happens to any machine regardless of size and weight. During the second world war, tank crews were taught how to tie a log across the tracks of their tank to pull themselves from being centered in bog or on a tree stump.

The first 5 minutes will teach you a lot about tracked vehicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8Yu5FBMLXkk

Although my tractors are much bigger than yours, friends with B7100's and similar have used tire studs to great effect.

Now you can buy screw in tires studs and put them in when winter comes and remove them for summer use. A few minutes with a cordless driver.

http://www.gripstuds.com/Tractor.php

Dave

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Dave_eng, nice informative link. It is amazing how many folks think a dozer will compact soil better then a wheeled tractor. But that's why wider pads are used when heavy machines go over less stable surfaces, like ice!

Those guys had a problem solving characteristic that isn't seen much today. Just read some of the comments and you can see the difference in a couple of generations. Those problem solvers must have thought their kids shouldn't have to do that, and came up with winers!:D

Last edited:

85Hokie

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
BX-25D ,PTB. Under Armor, '90&'92-B7100HST's, '06 BX1850 FEL
Jul 13, 2013
Bedford - VA
I'm gonna print that in a poster and hang it in my classroom!!!!

"Those problem solvers must have thought their kids shouldn't have to do that (think that is), and came up with whiners!"

Nice point D2Cat !

lordulrich

Equipment
BX 2370, 60 MMM, Loader, Front Mount Snow Blower, Landpride 3 pt blade, Tiller
Jul 28, 2016
SE Minnesota
What kind of tires do you have right now? It may seem odd but turf tires are surprisingly good in snow and ice. My theory is that the space the snow can load up in the tires is small, so even fully loaded there is a lot of rubber still exposed to grab the ice.

Last year (my first with my BX2370) I figured I would need to get chains to survive the winter. In a whole year I got stuck exactly 2 times, once my rear blade grabbed a drift bad and I was going too fast and it pulled me into the ditch and I had snow over the deck, high centered and a blade snagged into a drift. Chains weren't going to get me out of that. That was also a snowfall that had a lot of snow plows stuck (I work with plow drivers), I don't feel too bad about it.

The other time I got stuck was in the mud when I slid down a slope and the mower deck got snagged into the mud. The common theme is not traction but hung up.

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
The other time I got stuck was in the mud when I slid down a slope and the mower deck got snagged into the mud. The common theme is not traction but hung up.
This is why you remove the mower deck for winter! ;)
It's not like you need to mow the snow! :D

Dave_eng

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040, Nuffield 465
Oct 6, 2012
Have you ever ridden in a tractor with tracks?

A friend had a large John Deere on tracks for spreading bio solids on farm fields.

I rode with him around a couple of fields. It was a very jarring experience!

A tractor has no suspension. The track system they use has no suspension. Inflated tires have some give in their sidewalls which smooths the ride. Even the ATV's with tracks have the ATV suspension system still working.

He only had the track model because the farmers on whose land he was spreading the material were very concerned about compaction of their soil.

You see videos of M1 Abrams tanks tearing across the fields at unbelievable speeds and think that is what all tracked vehicles are like. Those tanks have an elaborate suspension system.

One famous tracked vehicle designer from the WW2 era was a guy named Christie. His tracks were supported on bogey wheels which were on torsion bars running the full width of the tank.

Your photo was most interesting. Do you know if this is a special Kubota model or an option?

Dave

TRA

Equipment
B2601, LA434, BH70, LP BB1260
Dec 17, 2017
Rock Hill
Have you ever ridden in a tractor with tracks?

A friend had a large John Deere on tracks for spreading bio solids on farm fields.

I rode with him around a couple of fields. It was a very jarring experience!

A tractor has no suspension. The track system they use has no suspension. Inflated tires have some give in their sidewalls which smooths the ride. Even the ATV's with tracks have the ATV suspension system still working.

He only had the track model because the farmers on whose land he was spreading the material were very concerned about compaction of their soil.

You see videos of M1 Abrams tanks tearing across the fields at unbelievable speeds and think that is what all tracked vehicles are like. Those tanks have an elaborate suspension system.

One famous tracked vehicle designer from the WW2 era was a guy named Christie. His tracks were supported on bogey wheels which were on torsion bars running the full width of the tank.

Your photo was most interesting. Do you know if this is a special Kubota model or an option?

Dave
Interesting to know. I was looking at snow plow blade options and ran across the photo and remembered this thread. I figure that machine is used at a Ski resort or similar?

Last edited:

Tughill Tom

Equipment
B3200
Dec 23, 2013
Turin, NY
Probably set up to be a trail groomer for snowmobile trails.
It's been tried here, it didn't turn out well for Kubota's, they were breaking the Rear Diffs out of them, just a bit to light for duty they were being used for. Most clubs this way went up to either DJ or Case with tracks and over a 140HP. I'm hoping to go back to OLD School and go with a Pistenbully for our next Groomer. Currently running 2 over 28 years old on 30 miles of trails and still getting it done.;)

BWXT

Equipment
'83 B5100D
Aggressive tread works great in soft terrain like mud and deep snow, not so well on hard slippery surfaces like ice and packed snow. Turf tires work great because there are more biting edges and surface area for the rubber to hold the snow. What gives you traction on packed snow is the adhesion between the snow on the ground and the snow that's in between the grooves in the tire. Look at any snow tire and you'll see LOTS of siping. Chains add traction because they actually dig into the ice. When you are plowing or snow-blowing, the tractor is for the most part running on packed snow and ice, not deep snow.

I have turfs and chains on all 4 corners of my little tractor with no weight added to the machine. At about 1100 pounds with me on it, my tractor flies up and down my VERY steep driveway while pushing a good load of snow. I've driven it on ice that I literally was not able to walk on.