Snow plowing - Front or Rear Blade?

dexterous

Equipment
B2650
Apr 30, 2019
Grove City, PA
All, I am about to purchase a new Kubota (either a B2601 or B2650). I am looking at options for plowing my 200 yard long driveway and dont want to break the bank. I only have to plow 2-3 times per year as we dont get too much snow. I currently have a rear blade on my Kubota BX which does OK but it takes a long time and its cumbersome to have to drive backwards. Then again, I only do this 2-3 times per year.

The new machine will have quick pin-on, skid loader type implements for the front loader. I have been thinking of getting a manual type, quick attach plow instead of the rear blade but they are pretty expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks!

SRG

Equipment
B8200D 4WD........ JD 870, FWA, 300x FEL.......... JD 797, 72" Z-Trak
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Get a 60" box blade for the rear, they're more versatile. Or a 60" snow pusher for the front end loader. You can drag and pile the snow where ever you want, without constantly chasing windrows.

I've used both, a 72" rear blade, and a 60" and 72" box blades, for snow removal. I much prefer the box blade, and next season will have a snow pusher for the FEL.

Attachments

Last edited:

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
I'm surprised a box blade would be efficient at removing snow. You wouldn't be able to direct the snow in any direction. Do you just push the snow backwards? Or dump it in a pile then push it? A front blade is probably easiest but a back blade is so much more versatile outside of the winter months and they're dirt cheap. TSC has a 60" rear blade for ~$400

dlundblad

Equipment
G5200, L2501, ZD1211
May 16, 2009
IN
I prefer blade in the rear and the bucket on the front. My driveway drifts badly and I lose ground clearance very fast so I have to scoop my way through with the bucket.

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I'm surprised a box blade would be efficient at removing snow. You wouldn't be able to direct the snow in any direction. Do you just push the snow backwards? Or dump it in a pile then push it? A front blade is probably easiest but a back blade is so much more versatile outside of the winter months and they're dirt cheap. TSC has a 60" rear blade for ~$400
I would drag the snow forward, out to the road, dump a few blades full, and on every 3rd or 4th pass, back push it into the ditch. Now with a different machine, I drag it out to the road, and push it in the ditch with the FEL. It works surprisingly well. Now I haven't yet got to try it in much more than 6" of snowfall. At that point, I think something out front of the machine would be the better choice.
The problem I found with a rear angle blade and just windrowing it off the side of the driveway, is when compounding snowfalls happen, especially after a slight warm up, those windrows become hard as ice and pretty much immovable. A CUT just doesn't have the weight to push it far enough off the driveway with an angle blade, to deal with subsequent snowfalls, in the same manner. You start to run out of room ,and your path closes in on you.

On a gravel driveway moving snow with a box blade, you lengthen your top link, like your trying to smooth the gravel. This keeps your inside cutting edge off the ground, because your rear is providing the skid. Not much worries about dragging rocks all over then.
It works good for me.

leoric

Equipment
B2650 since 2018. BH77, LA534, Forks, 60" Bucket, 60" Mid mount mower
Mar 13, 2019
Indianapolis
That makes sense to me. Yeah in IN we don't get a massive accumulation so I didn't consider the existing piles. I grew up in MI I should have thought of that!

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
All, I am about to purchase a new Kubota (either a B2601 or B2650). I am looking at options for plowing my 200 yard long driveway and dont want to break the bank. I only have to plow 2-3 times per year as we dont get too much snow. I currently have a rear blade on my Kubota BX which does OK but it takes a long time and its cumbersome to have to drive backwards. Then again, I only do this 2-3 times per year.

The new machine will have quick pin-on, skid loader type implements for the front loader. I have been thinking of getting a manual type, quick attach plow instead of the rear blade but they are pretty expensive. Any thoughts? Thanks!
I've used both. Only on asphalt.

For years I plowed with a back blade (not box blade) behind my B1750HST. Angled the blade and discharged to the side. Rarely pushed backward except to move piles. Works well but tire chains are necessary to move much snow. Would not work well in very deep snow.

Recently bought B3350 with FEL and hydraulically angled QA FEL mounted plow. Considerably better arrangement and tire chains not necessary. Indeed, chains are counterproductive on hard surfaces other than ice. Do use weight box for counterweight.

If you have not yet bought your 2650, you may want to consider the new R14T tires.

Have box blade but simply cannot imagine why anyone would move snow with one.

SDT

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL

SDT
For the same reason one pushes snow, with a snow pusher.
Some things, for some, are just hard to imagine.

That makes sense to me. Yeah in IN we don't get a massive accumulation so I didn't consider the existing piles. I grew up in MI I should have thought of that!
It works pretty good, really. Box blades are extremely versatile tools, if one can just imagine the possibilities.:p lol

Last edited:

fruitcakesa

Equipment
M 6040
Oct 26, 2010
Cavendish Vermont
I've used both. Only on asphalt.

For years I plowed with a back blade (not box blade) behind my B1750HST. Angled the blade and discharged to the side. Rarely pushed backward except to move piles. Works well but tire chains are necessary to move much snow. Would not work well in very deep snow.

Recently bought B3350 with FEL and hydraulically angled QA FEL mounted plow. Considerably better arrangement and tire chains not necessary. Indeed, chains are counterproductive on hard surfaces other than ice. Do use weight box for counterweight.

If you have not yet bought your 2650, you may want to consider the new R14T tires.

SDT
I have a PA front plow that I use for most of my plowing with the BB for ballast and pushing piles when I back up. It just makes for efficient snow removal to be able to move snow in both directions.
And when conditions are soft, I can set the BB to just skim the surface and not tear up my gravel driveway.

js5020

Equipment
BX23S
Jun 27, 2018
PA
I also will put the box blade on the plow tractor it's primary job is weight but I move snow and ice, frozen piles with it. Works very well on hard surfaces to remove packed down stuff as long as your not fussy about the scratches it can make. On gravel one has to be real light with the hitch control or major gravel relocation will happen.

As a primary tool,,,, not the best for the job on a large area or long run.

SDT

Equipment
multiple and various
Apr 15, 2018
SE, IN
I have a PA front plow that I use for most of my plowing with the BB for ballast and pushing piles when I back up. It just makes for efficient snow removal to be able to move snow in both directions.
And when conditions are soft, I can set the BB to just skim the surface and not tear up my gravel driveway.
Back blade easily understandable.

Box blade not so much.

SDT

Stmar

Equipment
B2650HSDC
May 23, 2017
Buffalo, Wyoming
I have a front snow blade and a rear blade that I rotate so that the smooth edge does not tear up the gravel too much. I angle both blades the same way and get a better swath. I back drag the front blade in float to get close to the garage doors and drifts by buildings. Got our biggest snow fall of the year last night so my morning was spent clearing a path for the wife to get to work. Now I will have clean up later today. That heated cab sure is nice, lol.

sandiegomark

Equipment
B6000 B206 FEL, Gannon box, hauling, loading
Apr 27, 2019
SPRING VALLEY
I don't know much about clearing snow, living in san diego. but I do like the extra weight you have in your lap. Cheers

michigander

Equipment
B2601
May 29, 2018
Northern Michigan
I have the B2601 with 60" back blade only used 1 snow here.

my very limited use I'm already questioning if a 72" would have been better choice when running angled.

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
I don't know much about clearing snow, living in san diego. but I do like the extra weight you have in your lap. Cheers
It's all about traction. :cool:
She loves being out in the snow as much as I do.

SRG

Equipment
Jul 15, 2017
N. IL
Prefer pushing from the front, HLA 1500 Snow Pusher, works excellent
What size is that, 60", 72"? I'm not familiar enough with the 2601 to gauge the width. I know you New Yorkers get some wild snow falls.

08quadram

Equipment
bx2350d; Taylor Way 48" tiller; Farm King 50" snow blower
Apr 28, 2014
strawberry point, ia
I grew up moving snow with a rear angle blade on a 8n Ford. Had a few times the drifts got so hard, the tractor just drove over them.

This year we got 60" of snow. I use a rear BLOWER on my BX. Loader up front for scraping and clean up. I would like a pusher for the front. The bucket fills up to fast. I couldn't imagine using a box blade in Iowa to move snow.

skeets

Equipment
BX 2360 /B2601
Oct 2, 2009
SW Pa
To be honest down here n the coal country,, the front blade is the ticket, you can push pull pile grade do most anything you need,,, yeah we do some snow down here by Da Burgh and Grove City is in that snow belt too. For my money, while a box blade and a rear blade will work, make it easy on yourself, you can SEE what you are pushing and WHERE you are pushing it, and if you are old like me that turning around in the seat is a pain