Small PTO generator

N3BP

Equipment
B7200DT, B7200HST-D, L2900GST, L3010 HST TLB
Sep 20, 2016
Lebanon, PA
I have one of the 7.8KW Northstar's mentioned earlier in this thread. It works very well. I can power most of the house with it. It does have a 12KW surge capacity. Bolts nicely to a TSC carry-all. As far as fuel consumption goes, I run it in the "economy" PTO setting. The last time I used it was for a little over 8 hours and it consumed slightly more than a quarter tank.

As far as remote power goes, The PTO setup cannot be beat. I've ran table saws, jack hammers, drills and other power tools in the middle of the woods building a shed. I've tried most of the suggestions given here and bit the bullet and got the PTO generator. I purchased the generator and carry-all together used on Craigslist a few years ago for $1,200. I thought that was pretty reasonable.

Attachments

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Tim Horton

Mar 22, 2018
Lake Superior
Another thought.....
Part of the process to building homemade tractor powered log splitters was working a bit backwards... You know the gpm hydraulic flow available, that will tell you the size cylinder you can run with an acceptable cycle time.. That or with the known pto HP, that will tell you the size pump and gpm of the pump will tell you cylinder size ...

- - - -
So again with known pto HP available, that should tell you what size generator your tractor will handle..