Sizing a Hydraulic motor to rotate Chute on a BX5450

WoodCarver75

Equipment
BX-25D, Bucket, Backhoe, tiller, snowbblower
Jan 21, 2019
Acton
www.etsy.com
Hey guys, I have no clue as to what i am doing so i need some help in selecting a Hydraulic motor to rotate my chute on my BX5450 snow blower. I have seen these used on other posts but none of them say what size to use.

Motor.JPG

Reactions: 1 user

Yooper

Lifetime Member

Equipment
3901 LA525
May 31, 2015
NE Wisconsin
Well, since nobody else has replied I’ll take a shot at it. If you’re looking to replicate the design that is in the pictures it won’t take much of a motor. Torque is the issue, not speed. I can’t help you with the amount of torque that it takes to rotate the chute but I think it is safe to say it is inch pounds not foot pounds. Plus you have a torque multiplier with the gear ratio. Notice that a flow control valve has been added to the circuit to control the speed. You will need to consider this in your design.

Just something to consider here. If I were doing this I would use a 12 volt linear actuator. Plenty of power and much easier to run wires and switch versus hydraulic lines and valve. Save a few bucks also. Good luck!

Howling

Equipment
BX2370
Feb 5, 2016
Ayer, MA
Does not take much torque to turn the chute. Too much torque and you could damage the worm or chute gear at end of rotation.

I will second the simple 12 volt motor. Adapted a surplus seat adjuster motor for my chute rotate.
ChuteMotor.jpg

Then a joystick on the control lever to control both the chute rotation motor and height linear actuator. The blower lift and chute controls are all in one place.

Joystick 2.jpg

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
I haven't had good luck with electric motors. When the ice builds up, the motors stall. Also if you don't get a fast enough motor it takes a long time to turn the chute ( and I am not a patient man). I am looking to convert to hydraulic.

For those of you that think you can just use the curl port on the loader valve, many here have commented on it's being a regenerative port meaning you can't put a hydraulic motor on it. I added a third function kit

kubotasam

Equipment
B2410, B7100dt, B7500,Woods BH750,Landpride 2660RFM, Tiller, B2781 Snowblower
Apr 26, 2010
Alfred Maine
For those of you that think you can just use the curl port on the loader valve, many here have commented on it's being a regenerative port meaning you can't put a hydraulic motor on it. I added a third function kit
Most tractors have a valve with the regenerative function (which does not work as Shelcoil said) and a fourth position on the dump circuit which does not regenerate that will drive a hydraulic motor and will work.

mikester

Equipment
M59 TLB
Oct 21, 2017
Canada
www.divergentstuff.ca
You don't need high speeds for the hydraulic motor.

Assuming 16 GPM at your remotes that translates to 3696 cu.inches per minute.

choose a cheap motor say 7.8 cu.in. per rev
3696/7.8=473.8 RPM

If you want a slower chute turner choose a motor requiring more cu.in/rev

I used a cheap motor on sale for about $180 roughly this size and it works no problem, a little on the fast side but I can infinity regulate the speed with my valve.

I've also used a small electric ATV 1500lb winch for $50 but now you need to run a high amperage supply line and control relays to the blower and you only get one operating speed - slow.

Orange1forme

Equipment
B2650 HSDC, filled tires, wheel spacers, B2728B , LA534A FEL, 3rd valve kit
Dec 1, 2018
Wa
Not sure if this help, but another thread on your topic.

shelkol

Equipment
bx-2200, Woods BH6000 backhoe, Tach-N-Go quick attach bucket, snow blower
Nov 12, 2015
Westford, Massachusetts
shelkol.com
You don't need high speeds for the hydraulic motor.

Assuming 16 GPM at your remotes that translates to 3696 cu.inches per minute.

choose a cheap motor say 7.8 cu.in. per rev
3696/7.8=473.8 RPM

If you want a slower chute turner choose a motor requiring more cu.in/rev

I used a cheap motor on sale for about $180 roughly this size and it works no problem, a little on the fast side but I can infinity regulate the speed with my valve.

I've also used a small electric ATV 1500lb winch for $50 but now you need to run a high amperage supply line and control relays to the blower and you only get one operating speed - slow.
I don't think a BX is anywhere near 16GPM. I have a BX-2200 and I think it is more like 5GPM

SidecarFlip

Banned

Equipment
M9000HDCC3, M9000HD, Kubota GS850 Sidekick
Oct 28, 2018
USA
Myself, I use a hydraulic cylinder tapped into a rear remote to rotate the chute via a bellcrank and steel cable arrangement. Efficient and stone simple.