Side Hustles / Hobby Business

WFM

Equipment
L3800
Apr 5, 2013
Porter Maine
If you don't mind ruining peoples lives you can always start growing marjuiana like half the state of Maine here.

acruxksa

Equipment
LX2610, lx2963, bb2572
Jan 15, 2024
Anchorage, Alaska
Maybe you don't get enough snow there? ;) ;)
Over 100"s to date and 2.5 more months of winter. I only want ONE customer...... ;) Make WAY more with my day job, but i predict I'll just barely be able to cover costs and have enough profit left for aa business dinner or two. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
when i moved to my place, I had the house, a few acres, and a storage building made for a lawn mower and such.

The storage building became my shop, small engine shop.

Note that the dealers won't touch handheld equipment (chain saws weed eaters etc) so I took advantage of that, which morphed into lawn mowers and a few small garden tractor repairs. Outboard motors as well.

In the first and only year I did it (to rebuild my savings after spending 100% of it on closing on the house), it did about $20,000 in profits. The money is there, but it's work and I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone here, but some people don't like work.

If you have a barn and a place to park cars, a dance hall. Or wedding venue. Wedding venues are pretty popular here and they charge a lot of money. One of my coworkers has a barn on his place, they routinely get $15k for a weekend. Note that there are costs and a lot of work involved if you do this, which is one reason they're so expensive.

guy down the road breeds dogs in his barn.

jampy00

Equipment
BX1880
Jan 11, 2024
Ontario, Canada
when i moved to my place, I had the house, a few acres, and a storage building made for a lawn mower and such.

The storage building became my shop, small engine shop.

Note that the dealers won't touch handheld equipment (chain saws weed eaters etc) so I took advantage of that, which morphed into lawn mowers and a few small garden tractor repairs. Outboard motors as well.

In the first and only year I did it (to rebuild my savings after spending 100% of it on closing on the house), it did about $20,000 in profits. The money is there, but it's work and I'm not pointing any fingers at anyone here, but some people don't like work.

If you have a barn and a place to park cars, a dance hall. Or wedding venue. Wedding venues are pretty popular here and they charge a lot of money. One of my coworkers has a barn on his place, they routinely get $15k for a weekend. Note that there are costs and a lot of work involved if you do this, which is one reason they're so expensive.

Great post, thanks for sharing!
I know nothing on small engine repair so I not sure if that is a road I want to travel.
My barn is not suitable for large storage and/or events (and I don't want many people on my property)
I like working, I do it every M-F and most weekends. Perhaps I am being picky, but I'm looking for something that peeks an interest I may not even know about yet...

pokey1416

Lifetime Member

Equipment
Grand L4060HSTC, BH92 Backhoe, HLA Snow Pusher, Dirt Dog Tiller, EA DiscHarrow
Jun 24, 2020
SW Michigan
Just how many mugs is she gonna have to sell to pay for $8000 in tool chests?
Alot! Actually we bought 12 of those for $399 each from Baileys Discount Center in North Judson IN. He buys them damaged by the semi load from all over the country so you should call to make sure he has some in stock. You can pick thru the ones you want, they are very helpful.

She took 8 for her shop and I got 4 for mine.

I asked Mr. Bailey if I could get a pic of him with her :) It's an awesome place and he's kind of a legend in the area.

1706711386280.png

Kind of sketchy making the 40 mile trips X2 loaded like this!

1706712166157.png

http://www.baileysdiscountcenter.com/

D2Cat

Lifetime Member

Equipment
L305DT, B7100HST, TG1860, TG1860D, L4240
Mar 27, 2014
40 miles south of Kansas City
Once upon a time I was working in an office and found it confining and wanted something to do outside. I ended up buying Ditch Witch trencher from a friend's nephew who only l had it for a few weeks when he hit a 2" rural water line. It scared him so bad he quit and wanted to sell it. He had bought it from the local dealer and it had been completely gone through. It was a nice 30 HP ride on machine.

I paid cash for the machine, got insurance and put an ad in the local paper Bury downspout lines, water hydrants, electrical ... Quickly had more work then I could do but I never hired any help, kept my office job and just chose what I wanted to do. Eventually did all the install work for a local electrical contractor, still part time. I had machine upkeep, fuel/oil, insurance. There were many days I'd work 3-6 hours and earn a nice income. I could average $50 an hour thirty years ago. I eventually bought a Ditch Witch R40 (40 HP, gas Ford industrial engine) with a 6-way backfill blade, backhoe, and cold dig 5'deep. Had spacers to make the chain cut from the 6" standard to 8", 10" or 12" which I seldom used.

Still have that machine and wouldn't sell it today for what I paid for it years ago!!!!

You need to find something that is challenging, fits your personality and budget and time allotment.

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Alot! Actually we bought 12 of those for $399 each from Baileys Discount Center in North Judson IN. He buys them damaged by the semi load from all over the country so you should call to make sure he has some in stock. You can pick thru the ones you want, they are very helpful.

She took 8 for her shop and I got 4 for mine.

I asked Mr. Bailey if I could get a pic of him with her :) It's an awesome place and he's kind of a legend in the area.

View attachment 121492

Kind of sketchy making the 40 mile trips X2 loaded like this!

View attachment 121494

http://www.baileysdiscountcenter.com/
Sir, that's a steal. Gotta love a deal like that. Also, your trailer is terrifying. I would have opted for the thick yellow straps instead of the 250lb orange straps. I used the orange straps to hold down a LS1 motor in the back of the truck, and had to brake and it broke the straps and flew forward and almost killed me. Never gonna play that game again.

• Wow

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
…..

Ahh… He’s into Animal HUSBANDRY…!! (Please don’t post any videos..) :ROFLMAO:

WillGreenKY

Equipment
L2501 w L525 loader, multiple attachments.
Jan 31, 2024
Kentucky
Sawmill service. Sawmill, board edger, and a kiln. Bring wood to me or I can go mobile with sawmill and edger and cut it to your desire on site. Take it back to dry and store it for additonal fee. I enjoy it. Pick and choose my customers. Pretty drama free.

Russell King

Equipment
L185F, Modern Ag Competitor 4’ shredder, Rhino tiller, rear dirt scoop
Jun 17, 2012
Austin, Texas
Perhaps look at making some types of metal signs or wooden signs using Numerically Controlled water jet or router.

You could also look at metal yard art.

Refinishing doors or furniture if you’re into sanding and polyurethane application.

GeoHorn

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M4700DT, LA1002FEL, Ferguson5-8B Compactor-Roller, 10KDumpTrailer, RTV-X900
May 18, 2018
Texas
Sawmill service. Sawmill, board edger, and a kiln. Bring wood to me or I can go mobile with sawmill and edger and cut it to your desire on site. Take it back to dry and store it for additonal fee. I enjoy it. Pick and choose my customers. Pretty drama free.
DAmn! I wish you were closer! I have two HUGE oak logs sitting outside… 30” dia at the large end… 26” at the small end…18’ long… with no branching.. I am probably going to have to cut them both into 16” pieces and split them for firewood….

……or for the smoker.

IMG_20231231_200558.jpeg
IMG_20240101_092634.jpeg

Last edited:

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA
Forgot to mention my other side job.

in 2017 I had some friends fly in and wanted to go fishing. They used to live here, so he’s familiar. Anyway he asked if I’d take him. Sure. Well, to be legal I bought a guide license and we went. great time!

we’ll apparently he told someone he knows in Illinois, that person calls and says how much do you charge? Going rate is $400 for half day. I told him my overhead is way less than anyone else’s and I’ll do it for $300. Week later we went fishing. Caught a few, not a ton but we ate good.

hmm. I might make this work?

have had several others want to go, started doing it part time. Saturday’s only, half day is best. In 2019, 2020, especially 21 and part of 22, I was booked every single weekend and had others in line.

here’s the deal though. Most of the guides have top end boats and motors. Real nice stuff. Me? An old Jon boat with a 25hp outboard! Nothing special. But—all of my clients have said the same thing, that using an old Jon like mine is much more relatable to them for what I’m doing, than a high end, $75000+ specialized rig. They love it. And, a lot of them were under the impression that you gotta have an expensive boat, top of the line tackle, special baits, etc. Wrong. All my stuff is decent, ain’t cheap stuff but certainly not top of the line. Relatable to 99% of clients. They often took their own stuff and made a few small changes and went by emselves after finding out how easy it really is.

Did none in 23, lost my dad after some illnesses, and helping mom cope. I may start doing some this year. lots of folks calling/texting/messaging already. Have 4 wanting to go in the morning, but I’ve got a ton of stuff to do around the house, and the weather is gonna be poor. Plus the boat needs maintenance and truck needs repairs.

yeah, if you have any talent whatsoever at something, take advantage!

lugbolt

Equipment
ZG127S-54
Oct 15, 2015
Mid, South, USA

fatjay

Equipment
Kubota B8200, B7200, ZD21
Nov 12, 2016
Eastern PA, USA
Small time chicken farmer. I have 36 birds. and even in the winter I'm getting 20-24 eggs a day, and 36 eggs a day in the warmer months. I sell maybe 15-20 dozen a week for $4/doz. Feed costs me about $30 with the occasional bail of hay in the run and pine shavings in the coop. I have a 3 year compost cycle that I clean the coop out and turn. That gives me great fertilizer for the garden.

Makes about $150-200/mo on eggs, and as a bonus, i get fresh eggs. It brings cash so I have a cash box that i can dip into when I have another project coming up, or see something on craigslist I want. I never have to go to the ATM.

The eggs sell themselves. I post on occasion on fb/nextdoor and the local ladies love the colors. Plus free range eggs are $9/doz in the store. Most of my customers are repeat customers, and I just had an order for 13 dozen for a bakery.

I'm buying another dozen birds next month so I'll have a full 48, 12 per year, and 12 will get retired each year, to keep them in their prime laying cycles.

fried1765

Equipment
Kubota L48 TLB, Ford 1920 FEL, Ford 8N, SCAG Liberty Z, Gravely Pro.
Nov 14, 2019
Eastham, Ma
A wedding venu...you supply the place...
$20,000. For three day wedding. "They"
supply the tables chairs music food ect...
I've seen it done.
You just need a nice old barn to rent.
I have an old college roommate who does this, in Maine, in a high rent vacation area.
A magnificent old barn, and just filler with antiques.