Shuttle Shift Problem???

Big Orange

Equipment
L3650 GST LA650A FEL Howse 60 inch bush hog, Kubota L 321 60 inch snow blower
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
I had posted in the past about my forward reverse problem when trying to shift into forward or reverse. Now as I was "Cheating" on another tractor site, I only belong to this one:eek:
I saw a posting that if my tire ratio was wrong, and we have determined it might be, that you may need to plant your loader bucket to take the pressure off of the drive train to get it to release. This is exactly what I need to do all the time. does this make sense to any one???:confused:
I am working on matching tires right now!

Tx Jim

Lifetime Member

Equipment
M7040 HDC-1,JD 4255,Ford 6700
Apr 30, 2013
Coyote Flats,Texas
To limit gear train binding in 4WD it's important that F/R tires are the correct diameter. Does your tractor have sync-or hyd shuttle. I would think depressing clutch would relieve gear train binding to allow shifting. If your tractor has sync-shuttle I hope the syncronizers aren't worn out and require replacement similar to a M4900 that I once owned

Last edited:

Big Orange

Equipment
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
I have a GST transmission ,I now know all about the tire ratio for 4wd tractors.
what did you have to do to your transmission and what was the cost. My only problem is shifting the forward reverse lever into either, mostly reverse. I am going to run it some in 2wd to see if this makes a difference. If I am in 2wd the tire size should not matter that much should it???:confused:

North Idaho Wolfman

Staff member
Lifetime Member

Equipment
L3450DT-GST, Woods FEL, B7100 HSD, FEL, 60" SB, 743 Bobcat with V2203, and more
Jun 9, 2013
Sandpoint, ID
I have a GST transmission ,I now know all about the tire ratio for 4wd tractors.
what did you have to do to your transmission and what was the cost. My only problem is shifting the forward reverse lever into either, mostly reverse. I am going to run it some in 2wd to see if this makes a difference. If I am in 2wd the tire size should not matter that much should it???:confused:
Yes running in 2wd will eliminate any binding due to tire mismatch.
I have the L3450 GST it's almost an Identical transmission (I just have a 2 speed PTO and you have 1), otherwise the same.
I have completely rebuilt my transmission (every single part came out) and there are a lot of parts! I wouldn't call it a hard rebuild and it only took me a couple of days to do it, to work on just the reverser you would only need to split the back section.
#1 thing that I've found is that you don't use UDT or SUDT in the trans/hydro case it will act all kind of weird in cold weather. ;)
Do you clutch between forward and reverse shifts? Mine binds if I do that. I've found that if I drop RPM's and shift the shuttle 99% of the time it will slide right in.
One other thing to note is if there is a lot of play in the linkage that goes to the shuttle it will bind, mine has way too much and I'm going to be replacing it all this spring, you can test if it's the linkage that's giving you problems or the actual insides of the trans by removing the transmission cover on the right side 7 bolts and you'll see the linkage to the reverse shuttle, it's the only mechanical linkage as the shifter is a cable setup that forward and below the reverse linkage, remove on cotter pin and you will be able to put a pair of vice grips or a crescent wrench on the lever and shift it, if it moves freely then you have a binding linkage, if it doesn't then you need to replace the syncros in the transmission.

Big Orange

Equipment
Jan 11, 2014
Ripley, Maine
Yes running in 2wd will eliminate any binding due to tire mismatch.
I have the L3450 GST it's almost an Identical transmission (I just have a 2 speed PTO and you have 1), otherwise the same.
I have completely rebuilt my transmission (every single part came out) and there are a lot of parts! I wouldn't call it a hard rebuild and it only took me a couple of days to do it, to work on just the reverser you would only need to split the back section.
#1 thing that I've found is that you don't use UDT or SUDT in the trans/hydro case it will act all kind of weird in cold weather. ;)
Do you clutch between forward and reverse shifts? Mine binds if I do that. I've found that if I drop RPM's and shift the shuttle 99% of the time it will slide right in.
One other thing to note is if there is a lot of play in the linkage that goes to the shuttle it will bind, mine has way too much and I'm going to be replacing it all this spring, you can test if it's the linkage that's giving you problems or the actual insides of the trans by removing the transmission cover on the right side 7 bolts and you'll see the linkage to the reverse shuttle, it's the only mechanical linkage as the shifter is a cable setup that forward and below the reverse linkage, remove on cotter pin and you will be able to put a pair of vice grips or a crescent wrench on the lever and shift it, if it moves freely then you have a binding linkage, if it doesn't then you need to replace the syncros in the transmission.
Most likely bad news for me, you had told me to do the test before and I used vise grips with the linkage removed and to no avail still did not shift. I also was a very quick study and removed the brand new Travelers oil I put in and replaced it with super UDT other than the shuttle shift problem it made a new tractor.
On to clutching I do clutch between shifts hard to break that habit but I did go out and do a bunch of forward and reverse with out clutching and using foot throttle to get low rpms and not much difference. as in my first post if I plant the bucket and push the tractor back all of 1 or 2 inches it slips right in. I am going to do all the front seals soon on the front axle but not willing to venture into the tranny. having a dealer do this any idea how much money I would be looking at? Thanks for all the help Wolfman.

PS just went out and moved some snow in 2 wd same problem.:(