Shout out to everyone with a grapple

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I have a L3200 and I just purchased the "thumb" for it made by greens machine shop. I got it today and in the box were some flow restrictors. Should I use them? Seems like you would not want to slow it down, but maybe I am wrong, I appreciate any info....

bandaidmd

Equipment
B2620 w/LA364 FEL ,BH65, ssqa , 1982 B8200E w/BF300FEL
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
try without it first, it shoud be easy to slip them in if needed. Maybe you'll want it only on the clamp line and let it open faster. please post some pics I'm looking at adding a grapple soon.

Burtonbr

Lifetime Member

Equipment
2012 B2620, LA364 FEL,rear remotes,grapple pallet forks, many other toys.
Nov 11, 2012
NC
I did not get the flow restrictions with mine. I planned on running 1/4" lines or hoses like the loader cylinders have installed on them, I didn't think I wanted it any slower than the bucket was.
I think it worked out good, I like the speed it opens and closes when I'm grabbing something in the bucket, when I'm going from fully open or fully closed it could be a bit faster I think but it's not bad. Maybe with 3/8 hoses it might but probably still wouldn't be too fast though a 3200 may be pumping a bit more than my 2620. I would think you can always add them if you think you need them later..
Either way I bet your going to enjoy having the thumb, I do.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Great, thanks for the input. I will plumb it up and I guess I can put them in pretty easily anyway. The ports on the cylinder are 3/8 so I assume I should run a 3/8 hose. I think that is what my tractor is plumbed with-

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
I did not use the flow restrictors when installing my thumb kit. It works great. I haven't crushed but the most rotted of logs. I did receive the restrictors just opted not to use them yet/ or maybe ever.

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
Yes I did get the green machines. The smallest model 20" IIRC. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1371863709.069330.jpg
It is finished and plumbed now, this was a pic during lay out.

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
What are you using to control the grapple? I bought a diverter valve from Surplus Center and just use a simple switch (momentary pushbutton, to be replaced with a motorcycle brake light switch and a roll pin) it works great. Much less expensive than the WR Long kit.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Yeah, I am dont the same thing. I bought the diverter valve from surplus, should be here tomorrow. I just bought a momentary toggle at napa.... I will be sure to post some pics. I think the grapple will be a good addition. I hope it works well.

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
Here are some pics mocking it up and a box I made to house the momentary switch to the loader valve. It just hold it with a hose clamp from the bottom. I dont think you will be able to really see the clamp when it is on.

Attachments

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
nice job, I'd like one in kubota gray when you get the time.

Any thoughts on where u mounting the diverter?

I'm leaning towards just under the loader hose qc's.

Last edited:

bandaidmd

Equipment
May 19, 2013
Middle of DELMARVA
(to be replaced with a motorcycle brake light switch and a roll pin)

please elaborate on that a bit. preferably with pictures. thanks

rparkinson

Aug 23, 2012
Northport Maine
I am not sure where I am going to mount it. I will have to wait until tomorrow when I have it in my hand.... I will get back to you on that.. kub grey, coming right up!

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
I mounted my diverter on the arm that holds the joystick. That way everything comes off as a single assembly.

The motorcycle brake light switch ( the mechanical kind used in rear brakes) which is cylindrical and has the wires sticking straight out, not at a 90 degree angle. Will be installed into an aluminum bracket (it will look like a double barreled shotgun) where the switch threads in 1 barrel. The other barrel will be a clamp or bore with a set screw which will clamp on the joystick. The roll pin will install thru the hole in the switch and give a T shape to the assembly. Much like a 2 speed rear end switch on the shifter. But cheaper!

Last edited:

Fastest1

Equipment
1994 B5200 FEL
Dec 9, 2012
Conroe, Texas
I am using the curl function of my loader. When I push the momentary button it diverts the flow of the hydraulics to a separate circuit, in my case the grapple. I believe this is referred to as a third function. The only negative is to remember the return to the middle position of the joystick before letting go of the button. Otherwise the curl function starts to occur quickly or more quickly than I desire. It really is just a matter of familiarity as it has caused no problems. If the grapple is grabbing it, you can shake the crap out of it.

Jab73180

Equipment
L3430
Jun 19, 2012
Alton me
OK one more question.....why do it that way rather than an aux control?

I suppose it is cheaper to run wire than hydraulic hose.

-Jason